• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We discuss homosexuality here quite often, and I was wondering...

standing_on_one_foot

Bastet said:
In the original post of this thread, you asked for religious views on this topic: that is what you are getting from Paraprakrti, if I'm not mistaken.
Indeed. And I find it interesting. I am curious about it. Thus, I'm asking her questions about her religous views on the matter. After all, it's one of the reasons I started this thread, as you pointed out. I don't know, if you figure it's innapropriate or off topic to ask about it, I'll take the question back...

If not, another question, Paraprakrti: how exactly do you define the self? I mean, what's involved? Is it intellect, or emotions, or something completely different? Just want to clarify.

standing_on_one_foot

Hmm. I rather think I will. I'm interested now, this is kinda something I've been debating with myself for awhile. But yeah, I can see how this is getting a bit off topic.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
standing_on_one_foot said:
Interesting. So, how are you so sure about this whole soul business? Is it just something you know?

As sure as I am conscious...

It is not so hard to understand. The fact that we have the ability to observe surrounding changes implies some kind of unchanging standard that underlies these mental and physical coverings. People sometimes argue, "but my understanding has changed over time". That may be, but the soul is not the mind. The mind is a tool just like the body. The basic realization of consciousness is despite the changing of the mind. No matter how one's perceptions and understandings change, the fact that a consciousness is there is always the same. It would appear that everything that goes through any type of change is subject to birth and death. So it is understandable to say that consciousness is the symptom of the eternal soul. Beside this type of introspective reasoning there is also Sastra (Scriptures) that explain the consitution of the soul in much depth.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
If anyone has it at their local video store, I would recommend they rent the movie I watched today. It's called 'Normal', and is about a man who, after 25 years of marriage, tells his wife that he has always felt that he is a woman in a man's body, and that he wants a sex change. It's a very interesting watch, both funny and sad...even though Roy's sex change is a huge part of the story, it is also a love story. Tom Wilkinson and Jessica Lange star.

Greyson

"I don't know if I can bear living with these genitals" In regards to that saying itself, I feel that the saying itself shows a large disrespect towards that sex. If someone feels their in the wrong body because they like the same sex, then why not just turn gay? To change one's sex...heh...one never changes their sex, only their body. A man will always be a man no matter if he has female equippment or not and vice versa, because a man cannot know how a woman truely feels, because he is not a woman, never was, and vice versa. That's like my sister whom is gay said to me, i'm one of the boys, cuz I act and think like one. Wrong. She still doesn't think like a man, nor can she, for she isn't one. I personally don't care what the body looks like, because I mostly see souls, and peoples bodies do not look like their Souls. So if someone desires a sex change, go for it. But it's only flesh. I know that I never attracted my wife to me, because i'm disabled in a wheelchair, and to be attracted to my freakish body would be sick...she was drawn to my Soul, spirit, whatever you want to call it. Like I said, it's just flesh. There is more to people than mere flesh. Good luck to whomever wants the transgendered sex change thing :) Brightest Blessings to you and yours.

Pah

Uber all member
Greyson said:
"I don't know if I can bear living with these genitals" In regards to that saying itself, I feel that the saying itself shows a large disrespect towards that sex. If someone feels their in the wrong body because they like the same sex, then why not just turn gay?

Because it don't happen that way. Sexual identity begins right around birth. Orientation doesn't happen until right around puberty. There is no sexual attraction until then. How many boys are you aware of that don't like girls - don't want to be around them - even sisters - and are straight when older. The attraction you see in girls for boys is a mothering instinct.

To change one's sex...heh...one never changes their sex, only their body. A man will always be a man no matter if he has female equippment or not and vice versa, because a man cannot know how a woman truely feels, because he is not a woman, never was, and vice versa.

Your first statement is true - one is always male or female. A masculine body with the identity of a woman is always a woman. What you have really said is an apt description of the pre-op transgendered. The woman's feeling are there in transgendered women whether or not they get the surgery to remove a penis.

<<cut>>

-pah-

standing_on_one_foot

Greyson said:
"I don't know if I can bear living with these genitals" In regards to that saying itself, I feel that the saying itself shows a large disrespect towards that sex.
Hmm. Sorry to hear you feel it's disrespectful, that's certainly not the intent...it's nothing personal, in a sense, it's more feeling you're the wrong one than feeling the other one is better.

Greyson said:
To change one's sex...heh...one never changes their sex, only their body.
The technical term for it is actually sexual reassignment surgery, because no, you can't actually change the genes that gave you your genitals. I'm pretty sure most people who go through it understand this. It is, as you mention, just to change the body.

Greyson said:
A man will always be a man no matter if he has female equippment or not and vice versa, because a man cannot know how a woman truely feels, because he is not a woman, never was, and vice versa.
There's another thread on this site that discusses there being evidence that trans-men do in fact have brains that resemble mens', and trans-women that resemble womens'...it's kinda interesting, it's at http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30108#post30108

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Greyson said:
If someone feels their in the wrong body because they like the same sex, then why not just turn gay?
Because it's not the same thing. :rolleyes: I am a woman attracted to women, but at no time have I ever wished I were a man. I'm quite happy with all my bits and pieces. The transgendered are not. They feel that their inherent being is the opposite to their physical sex, and just want the outside to reflect the inside. I do not feel like I am a man trapped within a woman's body...I'm all woman, body and soul, and quite happy to be so. ;) There is a difference, so don't just lump everyone into the same category. And I'm not even going to get into the whole "turn gay" thing... :sarcastic