• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Can't Fix the World, So Now What?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Fix ourselves and the world will take care of itself.

Talking collective unconscious?

Nope. Far simpler than that.

If every person were more concerned about being 'good' himself, nobody would have to worry about whether anybody else is.
I’m not sure how you mean that. Do you mean that there’s nothing more that anyone can do to help fix the world if they want to, along with improving themselves?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
2. We see this World is unnecessarily difficult for most people, so we naturally want to change it. The way of thinking of inventors. I see nothing wrong with putting your grain of sand for that purpose.
I agree.
Come on, now go destroy those rascals of the IMF and the World Bank.
I don’t think that the leading global monopoly players would be able to monopolize the world’s human and natural resources the way they do, if there weren’t so many people at all economic levels selling their capacities to the highest bidder, trying to advance themselves in the same monopoly game. As my wife once observed, “Everybody hates rich people and wants to be just like them.”

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
So now what do we do? Is there anything we can fix?
0. Accept this answer comes from the Messiah/avatar.
  1. Christianity (John, Paul, and Simon the stone (peter)) can be shown to be Pharasaic anti-christ's teachings.
  2. The Quran states Muslims are to be theologians of all religious books without distinction; Muhammadism is similar to a cult, where it is about following the leader.
  3. Rabbinic Judaism has to accept it has messed up its own language, and theology since the Babylonian Exile. El is not like Elohim (Isaiah 46:9 - Deuteronomy 32:7-9).
  4. Baha'i are meant to help us fix the world, rather than argue they know best or "you're not the Messiah".
  5. Dedicated our lifes to making the world a better place, rather than just stuff our face with greed. Everyone has to go vegan/fruigvore.
  6. Hemp can be used to fix the world's shortages, and to revitalise deserts into fertile land.
  7. It isn't hard to fix the planet, we just need to get people to listen, and realize they have no option.
In my opinion. :innocent:

The alternative is the same as happens with Thanos, and after Israel Vs Iran (WW3), you will all be removed from our reality by holy fire/energy. :(

Reactions: Jim

Nimos

We will use whichever way you define good and evil. So, define away.
Did you overlook it or did you just decide to leave it?

Good is whatever seems beneficial for one self and what one cares about.
Evil is whatever seems none beneficial for one self and what one cares about.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
If every person were more concerned about being 'good' himself, nobody would have to worry about whether anybody else is.
I think that people trying to change the world, without trying at the same time to improve their own character and the way they live their own lives, does more harm than good. I see a lot more that anyone who wants to can do, along with improving themselves, to help improve the world for all people everywhere. I don’t see what good it can do to discourage people from doing more than that if they want to, or to stigmatize or belittle them for it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Fix what? The world into some static state? A utopia perhaps? This will likely never happen.

Ask yourself one simple question. Would I prefer to live in some earlier age? If the answer is yes, then please provide a time and place for such - and all the consequences for doing so - like accepting that many things we enjoy now will not be available, will often be much worse (try to think of at least a few examples), and that, much as today, there would still be problems facing one. Many are living as such - are they happier, and would we all be able to live like this? John Gray, in my view, is a little tiresome in this regard - no progress possible - when all he means in reality is that we tend to inch forward in some areas rather than in bounds, recycle stuff continuously, and appear to go backwards all too often. What might be driving this? Well, us being human and all that this entails would be one obvious reason (being the rational and irrational creatures that we are), and until, and if, we do become androids, we will have to live with what we have and just deal with existence - as humans. As the population has increased, so has the number of problems we face - from the many that we always have faced.

If the answer is no, I would still prefer life today rather than in any previous age, then I suspect you might have seen some progress over time in order to make this decision - even if we have created many new problems to evict any former ones - like population growth, resource competition, pollution and destruction from both of these, frictions between nations, cultures, and religious beliefs that seem more threatening than ever before, Climate Change, etc. Overall, we are better off than ever before. Factfulness by Hans Rosling is worth reading on this subject.

In my youth, the Cold War was the hot topic, with many, including myself, not expecting to survive into old age - the Cuban Missile Crisis very nearly did lead to this possibility. And things haven't got much better in some ways - we still have the major powers for example in possible horrendous war scenarios, and the threat of nuclear confrontation hasn't diminuished to a great extent - the players have just changed somewhat. I don't know how one might fix this, apart from World Government, and I don't see much enthusiasm for this - until perhaps we face an extinction-threatening catastrophe which might promote this - but then I don't have that much 'faith' in humanity even so. And of course there are many other problems we face as outlined in the OP. Perhaps AI will save us all (Life 3.0 by Max Tegmark is worth reading).

How to fix ourselves? Stop judging people, labelling them, or expecting them to believe and/or accept our cherished beliefs (as being 'the truth') - that is, be more compassionate, understanding, and tolerant. In earlier times it was not so important to think about how our behaviour affected others so much - now it is - since we do seem to have the capability of destroying the rather beautiful planet (from what we know about Earth and all others so far) upon which we live - and, being the only one we have, it would seem prudent to make this a priority. Not to mention of course that we share this planet with a considerable number of other species too. Who, by right (having lived here immeasurably longer than Sapiens), have a prior claim on this old round ball we call 'home', so we shouldn't see ourselves as the 'owners' anyway. :rolleyes: Perhaps religions have caused this misconception? And those religious beliefs foretelling 'the end of the world' might seem self-fulfilling if they refuse to play a part in providing solutions, rather than 'I told you so' squeals of delight. :p

'But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting.'

But we are not just these things. Two sides to a coin.

The use of the word 'evil' is just a surrogate and more florid word for 'very bad'. And it is especially illogical to blame the majority, or pin on them, the vices or failures of any minority. We all are mixtures of good and bad - in our thoughts, feelings, and actions - but mostly, if one travels a great deal, then we are likely to see that people are much the same and wish to live a reasonable existence without intentionally causing harm to others. Because we all live on different trajectories - nationality, culture, beliefs, etc. - we almost inevitably come into conflict with others. Hence the 'us' and 'them' that all too easily tends to form the dividing lines that separate us from others. Information overload (in its many forms) is perhaps the larger problem these days - especially when we tend not to be so discriminating as to the factual accuracy of much of this - and which no doubt helps form the 'us' and 'them' so often. And our failures in seeing our biases - find the research - hardly helps here. Like our overestimating or underestimating all sorts of things which we then tend to take for granted.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
How to fix ourselves? Stop judging people, labelling them, or expecting them to believe and/or accept our cherished beliefs (as being 'the truth') - that is, be more compassionate, understanding, and tolerant. In earlier times it was not so important to think about how our behaviour affected others so much - now it is - since we do seem to have the capability of destroying the rather beautiful planet (from what we know about Earth and all others so far) upon which we live - and, being the only one we have, it would seem prudent to make this a priority. Not to mention of course that we share this planet with a considerable number of other species too.
I see some possible common interests between us, so I want to tell you some of my thoughts. Sometimes I see people consciously and conscientiously trying to free themselves from prejudices and delusions, to learn to value all people everywhere and care what happens to them, and to practice fellowship and collaboration across the widest divides. I think that movement is growing and spreading and might continue to do so until it overpowers the forces of disintegration, and from that point on the world will start to improve for all people everywhere.

I’m trying to help that happen by continually trying to improve my own character and the way I live my life; trying to learn to be a better friend to more people; trying to learn to tell stories to inspire others to do the same; trying to help with the growth and spread of healthier, happier and more loving communities; and bringing all that up for discussion sometimes.

Some specifics of what I’m practicing and promoting:
- Spending time with some of the people whose ideas and interests seem the most contrary to mine, trying to see things their way and to see some good in what they’re doing.
- Freeing myself from all beliefs.
- Distancing myself as far as possible from all campaigns of denunciation and intimidation.
- Trying to avoid, in public discussions, using words that don’t communicate anything, for example like “science,” “scientific,” “God,” and the names of religions as labels for people’s beliefs.
- Ignoring the imaginary lines of alienation that people draw between groups and categories of people defined by what they say they believe.
'But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting.'

But we are not just these things.
I think of everything that people do, from the best to the worst, as part of human nature. We’ve learned to domesticate plants and animals, and I don’t see any reason to think that we can’t domesticate ourselves.

dianaiad

I’m not sure how you mean that. Do you mean that there’s nothing more that anyone can do to help fix the world if they want to, along with improving themselves?

Pretty much, yes.

Of course, improving oneself includes being kind to ones neighbors, helping those one can, etc. What it does NOT include is setting oneself up as the arbiter of what everybody else should be doing. Or thinking.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Just about everyone of us can see that this world is full of problem, so much so that some of us think humanity may be at the brink of extinction. We all have our personal catalog of the various problems we believe the world faces, my own personal list of troubles includes: War, famine, poverty, greed, homelessness, sexism, racism, capitalism, YouTube unboxing channels and the Kardashians.

It is in my opinion that the world would be a much better and much friendlier place in we could only solve all these problem. So my mind cooks up plans on how we should deal with these problems, like this guy did:

ncatra1q64r21.gif

But is it truly my responsibility to fix all the world's problems? Why in the world do we take it upon ourselves to think that if only we did something, we could fix it? So, it seems to be this wanting to fxi the world is a temptation, a desire that leads us into sin and suffering. We desire control, we desire people conform to our beliefs and we desire that it all goes our way. And soon it is our way or the highway and the boots start marching a long as they are been doing throughout history. And it looks like the best laid plans of mice and men come to naught once again.

So now what do we do? Is there anything we can fix? I can assure you there is somethings can do, particularly we should firstly follow Socrates dictum "Know thyself" and believe one the reason we love to look at the world's problems and center ourselves on fixing them instead of examining our own lives and fixing what is going on inside of us as individuals is because the darkness outside of us seems more easy to deal with, because we have all these messiahs, politicians and others saying they have solution and we are in great company with the other legion of followers.

But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting. It is a frightening journey.

Do you mean like when skeptics argue that Jesus Christ's substitutionary atonement is immoral, because everyone should pay for their own crimes? How can a paedophile pay for his or her own crime of child molestation? If we molest their child, that isn't making the person pay for the crime...

A Vestigial Mote

A little bird named Jung told me and when you observe human behavior (my own included) and history you can't help but notice certain themes and tropes dominate it. Like the trope were most people like to be in denial about their shadow side and believe that inside they are ultimately good people.
And so you let what amounts to a philosophical stereotype dictate what you believe about yourself, and how you frame-up your intrinsic worth. I have say - I'm not on board. No one and nothing gets to dictate my worth to me. Not one being, non-being, action, inaction, consequence, cause, effect, etc. All dust in the wind, so much fluff and nothing. I am what I am. If I end up feeling at some point that I need to apologize for that, then that's on me... my own responsibility, and I need to face that problem head-on, myself, and ultimately drop kick it out of my way.

dianaiad

I think that people trying to change the world, without trying at the same time to improve their own character and the way they live their own lives, does more harm than good. I see a lot more that anyone who wants to can do, along with improving themselves, to help improve the world for all people everywhere. I don’t see what good it can do to discourage people from doing more than that if they want to, or to stigmatize or belittle them for it.

Y'know, I have seen precious few people who claim to want to change the world, and who spend all their time attempting to make the world over into a vision THEY have, who do anybody any good. All they do is acquire publicity.

It is the one who quietly attempts to help the folks in his/her little corner, while trying to keep him/herself 'good' (whatever that means to him/her) who does the world changing.

Let's examine what one young man did...whether you believe in Him as God or not...as a simple itinerant preacher who never wrote a word, and never went more than 300 miles from His birthplace (counting his parent's trip to Egypt when he was a toddler). He spent three years preaching, just teaching people. Look what came of that.

Or Siddhartha Gautama, who spent his entire life searching for, and then teaching about "The Middle Path," and Buddhism was born.

There are many such individuals...and if you look closely at them, you will see that they didn't go galloping off to change the universe: just the little area surrounding, and including, them.

I know a few like that. I don't think any of them will gain the following Jesus or the Buddha have, but they changed themselves, and the few who know them.

If we could all be more interested in making ourselves and our neighbors better and happier, rather than attempting to impose our idea of what a 'better world' would look like on everybody else, the world would be a 'better world.' It couldn't NOT be.

Milton Platt

Just about everyone of us can see that this world is full of problem, so much so that some of us think humanity may be at the brink of extinction. We all have our personal catalog of the various problems we believe the world faces, my own personal list of troubles includes: War, famine, poverty, greed, homelessness, sexism, racism, capitalism, YouTube unboxing channels and the Kardashians.

It is in my opinion that the world would be a much better and much friendlier place in we could only solve all these problem. So my mind cooks up plans on how we should deal with these problems, like this guy did:

ncatra1q64r21.gif

But is it truly my responsibility to fix all the world's problems? Why in the world do we take it upon ourselves to think that if only we did something, we could fix it? So, it seems to be this wanting to fxi the world is a temptation, a desire that leads us into sin and suffering. We desire control, we desire people conform to our beliefs and we desire that it all goes our way. And soon it is our way or the highway and the boots start marching a long as they are been doing throughout history. And it looks like the best laid plans of mice and men come to naught once again.

So now what do we do? Is there anything we can fix? I can assure you there is somethings can do, particularly we should firstly follow Socrates dictum "Know thyself" and believe one the reason we love to look at the world's problems and center ourselves on fixing them instead of examining our own lives and fixing what is going on inside of us as individuals is because the darkness outside of us seems more easy to deal with, because we have all these messiahs, politicians and others saying they have solution and we are in great company with the other legion of followers.

But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting. It is a frightening journey.

If you are going to restrict what you see as the worlds "problems" to those caused by humans, (which are arguably all of them) then, I don't see why we could not solve the problems we created in the first place.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Do you mean like when skeptics argue that Jesus Christ's substitutionary atonement is immoral, because everyone should pay for their own crimes?
Yeshua didn't act as an attonement, you've been lied to by the pharisees (John, Paul, and Simon)...

The wise should know it isn't skepticism, it is what the Bible teaches, that each person's sin is their own.

Like the idea some people are anti-christ's teachings is something that can be fixed.
How can a paedophile pay for his or her own crime of child molestation?
Sick people need repairing, trying to get our own back, only makes the problems worsen.

Prison makes worse crimnals.

In my opinion. :innocent: