• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Can't Fix the World, So Now What?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Many people will take the better options over the worse ones if given the chance.

Its an over generalization to say all people are evil. Good vs. Evil is the neverending war.

War breeds more war. Peace breeds more peace.

The savage nature of reality always forces tough decisions. I think science and technology have shown people prosperity. There are many who would fight to see one day of peace and prosperity.

The only option is to build peace and prosperity, and to master the human plight and dispositions with science, technology. Objective morality is a desparate need.

Choosing virtue over vice. And live to die for the causes of virtue.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I’m unapologetically not a pacifist, there are people who fight for virtuous reasons, and those who fight for selfish reasons. They are not the same in my opinion.
So you believing returning evil for evil? War is war. People get hurt and killed in them. War is inherently evil.

The Reverend Bob

Its an over generalization to say all people are evil.
Is it an overgeneralization to say all people need water or that all people feel a need to keep themselves secure? Am i overgeneralizing if I say all people need to feel they belong and feel like they are part of something bigger? Am I overgeneralizing if I say all humans feel desire?

danieldemol

Premium Member
So you believing returning evil for evil? War is war. People get hurt and killed in them. War is inherently evil.
No I don’t, I believe in resisting evil. People get hurt and killed not resisting invaders too, which imo nullifys the point of such an assertion.

I do not consider war inherently evil, to me it depends on why you are fighting, and I believe that passivism itself can be selfish and evil in certain circumstances.

usfan

You never desired to control another person?
The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.” ~Robert A. Heinlein

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Is it an overgeneralization to say all people need water or that all people feel a need to keep themselves secure? Am i overgeneralizing if I say all people need to feel they belong and feel like they are part of something bigger? Am I overgeneralizing if I say all humans feel desire?

Thats absolutely true. People need all of that. That is why religion is so powerful, and i have yet to see any replacement for it.

The Reverend Bob

It is your assumption that all violence is evil, not mine
And that's why you are able to justify its use against others that you have had the audacity to judge as evil because they don't fit your definition of what is good. Now, who are you to judge what is good and what is evil?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
So all. All humans during their infancy are virtual tyrants making all sorts of demands on the people around them. Wahhhh I am hungry, FEED ME! Wahhhh, I soiled myself, CHANGE ME! Wahhhh, I need attention, PICK ME UP!

Not a bad assumption, though I'm sure there are exceptions. But yes most people tend to be selfish little p00pheads when young then grow out of it. I certainly was no excepetion. :D

danieldemol

Premium Member
And that's why you are able to justify its use against others that you have had the audacity to judge as evil because they don't fit your definition of what is good. Now, who are you to judge what is good and what is evil?
A sensible sane rational human being, and would point out that if such a person can’t judge what is good and what is evil then who are you to judge all violence as evil?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Just about everyone of us can see that this world is full of problem, so much so that some of us think humanity may be at the brink of extinction. We all have our personal catalog of the various problems we believe the world faces, my own personal list of troubles includes: War, famine, poverty, greed, homelessness, sexism, racism, capitalism, YouTube unboxing channels and the Kardashians.

It is in my opinion that the world would be a much better and much friendlier place in we could only solve all these problem. So my mind cooks up plans on how we should deal with these problems, like this guy did:

ncatra1q64r21.gif

But is it truly my responsibility to fix all the world's problems? Why in the world do we take it upon ourselves to think that if only we did something, we could fix it? So, it seems to be this wanting to fxi the world is a temptation, a desire that leads us into sin and suffering. We desire control, we desire people conform to our beliefs and we desire that it all goes our way. And soon it is our way or the highway and the boots start marching a long as they are been doing throughout history. And it looks like the best laid plans of mice and men come to naught once again.

So now what do we do? Is there anything we can fix? I can assure you there is somethings can do, particularly we should firstly follow Socrates dictum "Know thyself" and believe one the reason we love to look at the world's problems and center ourselves on fixing them instead of examining our own lives and fixing what is going on inside of us as individuals is because the darkness outside of us seems more easy to deal with, because we have all these messiahs, politicians and others saying they have solution and we are in great company with the other legion of followers.

But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting. It is a frightening journey.

I agree the world needs a new governance system but based upon human rights and humanitarian values which all can agree upon not political ambitions which have divided us.

I believe a world can only be justly governed on basic human rights and equality for all whatever race, religion, nationality or culture. Such a system has been spreading and gaining momentum throughout the world and continues to gain momentum.

Gradually, causes of war - prejudice and discrimination such as racism, religious bigotry and sexism are being outlawed and banned as these are all major obstacles to world peace so their removal is of major importance and as you can see is underway in all levels of society. Even in sport to demean a race or women or a section of society is being met with bans and sanctions so what was acceptable a century ago is being eliminated today preparing humanity for a new golden age of peace.

Another good sign is people are abandoning superstitious beliefs and using science to weed out false interpretations of religion. If science and reason cannot accept an interpretation it is most likely false and unacceptable so scientific advancements means that religion, a major force for change is being cleansed of manmade superstitions and getting back to its origins of teaching love and unity. In this age of questioning we are not accepting blindly anymore what we have been for centuries. Which means we as a human race are growing up and maturing.

There are so many good signs like the status of women now being brought into the spotlight that cannot be ignored as being a huge advancement for humanity as our past male dominated aggressiveness has mostly brought wars and misery while the female aspect of humanity the caring and loving side of humanity has not had a voice. Like the two wings of a bird once the wings of men and women are more equally balanced then the bird of humanity will be able to soar into the skies of peace and not always take a confrontational attitude towards solving disputes like our male cowboys always seem to do.

The signs of impending peace are clear. But that doesn’t mean humanity might not be in need of one final push such as another world war to make us break entirely with the past and establish a world community and world civilisation and not allow nationalism to dominate the international scenario any longer as it is so divisive.

To me all the signs are there that we are ready for a beautiful future and shall have it somber than most think. We are, I believe witnessing both the death pangs of the old world and the birth pangs of the new. Childbirth is extremely painful but it signalises new life and joy not the end of humanity.

leov

Just about everyone of us can see that this world is full of problem, so much so that some of us think humanity may be at the brink of extinction. We all have our personal catalog of the various problems we believe the world faces, my own personal list of troubles includes: War, famine, poverty, greed, homelessness, sexism, racism, capitalism, YouTube unboxing channels and the Kardashians.

It is in my opinion that the world would be a much better and much friendlier place in we could only solve all these problem. So my mind cooks up plans on how we should deal with these problems, like this guy did:

ncatra1q64r21.gif

But is it truly my responsibility to fix all the world's problems? Why in the world do we take it upon ourselves to think that if only we did something, we could fix it? So, it seems to be this wanting to fxi the world is a temptation, a desire that leads us into sin and suffering. We desire control, we desire people conform to our beliefs and we desire that it all goes our way. And soon it is our way or the highway and the boots start marching a long as they are been doing throughout history. And it looks like the best laid plans of mice and men come to naught once again.

So now what do we do? Is there anything we can fix? I can assure you there is somethings can do, particularly we should firstly follow Socrates dictum "Know thyself" and believe one the reason we love to look at the world's problems and center ourselves on fixing them instead of examining our own lives and fixing what is going on inside of us as individuals is because the darkness outside of us seems more easy to deal with, because we have all these messiahs, politicians and others saying they have solution and we are in great company with the other legion of followers.

But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting. It is a frightening journey.
but it is our responsibility to fix the world. Do not harm is the first step.

The Reverend Bob

A sensible sane rational human being, and would point out that if such a person can’t judge what is good and what is evil then who are you to judge all violence as evil?
I am neither God nor angel, so don't make those judgements. Like Hobbes said what you view as good are the you like like the values of your tribe and what you see as evil is the things you hate in the other. Now, what is evil to me? Actions that cause harm or have no beneficial value at all like utter thoughtlessness, going through life without questions, an unexamined life. I can't make up which is worse when it comes to defining evil: causing harm or utter thoughtlessness, I think they are both related.