• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We can't blame the gods for everything

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My story:

I had a very big project over the weekend: upgrading the operating system of one of our computer systems. These computers are in the mainframe class. They run various warehouse distribution, software development, financial applications, among other things. In short, they run the business.

I put a picture of Lord Ganesha on my desk and prayed to him that it go smoothly Usually they do. I began the process, but right out of the gate it failed. It was one nightmare failure after another, to the point that at this moment it is still not running properly, even having rolled back to the previous version.

In conversations with IBM hardware and software support, I came to find out that all the upfront and background research and preparation was not done, as I thought. Guess whose responsibility it was. Why I didn't have all the preparations is typical IBM mis- and missing information. I couldn't know what information was missing or what I should know if I couldn't find anything; you don't know what you don't know. So maybe I can't be blamed.

So how do the gods enter into this? We tend to think (or I did, anyway) that Ganesha would hear my prayers and decide "yeah ok, I'll make it smooth sailing for him". After the failures my first inclination was to look at the picture and say "why? I prayed for help". Admittedly I was a bit perturbed. Then I realized he didn't have anything to do with it. He was not going to change what was already ordained to happen. What needed to be done was already set by IBM. There was no way in this case that what was set to happen was going to magically or divinely change. Karma? No, I don't believe so because this could happen to any other system administrator (and probably has).

So the point, and I do have one: we can't blame the gods for everything or expect that they'll change what may already be in place to happen. I see and read about people praying for certain things, and then getting upset with the gods when the person doesn't get what they want. I wanted a smooth project, but what I got instead [drum roll, please] ... was a learning experience. I've learned something new how to not make the same mistake for the next two systems I have to upgrade. I learned that Lord Ganesha did not ignore me or make things rough for me... maybe he wasn't even paying attention, and someone else sent me the lesson, or maybe no one. At any rate, I didn't get what I wanted, I got what I needed. But I still like to believe that was divine intervention. :D

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Please, kindly reminder that this is the Hinduism DIR, please.

As for Ganeshji, he is as much the one that pushes obstacles away than the one that throw them into you ! ;p
But he will never put obstacles out of sadism or please to see you fail. You really have a wise thinking Jainayaran ! I hope your computer problem get solved soon tho xD be brave !

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
. I wanted a smooth project, but what I got instead [drum roll, please] ... was a learning experience. I've learned something new how to not make the same mistake for the next two systems I have to upgrade. I learned that Lord Ganesha did not ignore me or make things rough for me... maybe he wasn't even paying attention, and someone else sent me the lesson, or maybe no one. At any rate, I didn't get what I wanted, I got what I needed. But I still like to believe that was divine intervention. :D

Whenever something like this happens to me, I get a sense that he (Ganesha) is laughing at my folly, that older brother laugh, and usually that kills the negative mood. He seems rather easy to entertain.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Can understand asking an elephant for help through the jungle; yet why ask to help with computers?

Wouldn't Brahma have better coding skills? :innocent:

Lol Ganesh isn't an Elephant. His head was cut off for disobeying Shiva. And when he couldn't put him back together, Shiva instead gave him an Elephant's head, lest the wrath of a devastated Shakti destroy the world.

Also I doubt Jainarayan had to drum up an entirely new OS from scratch! I mean that's a bit harsh to ask a software support engineer? Supervisor? (Sorry Jai, don't know your job title.)

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Dealing with computers, at all, is to deal with the devil.
Not that one should never deal with the devil.
The devil is quite reasonable, actually, and is one with whom certain deals can be made.
The trick to it is to never forget that the devil is the devil.
He's never going to grant you what you want, no matter how it appears.
He is only going to dump all over you what you need.
Computers are actually quite easy to deal with, if you know how. The real problems often arise because of the way they teach the IT disciplines nowadays. They are quite segregated. Far more so than in previous generations. My teacher would often lament the lack of coding and software skills we were actually going to learn in our course (Networking.)
But it seems Jainarayan was more than capable of figuring it all out.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Supervisor? (Sorry Jai, don't know your job title.)

System Administrator. ;) What that entails is o/s upgrades (oh really, ya think!? :D), supervising operations (though my boss begs to differ with me on the level of supervision I actually do :rolleyes:), supporting the developers, help desk and end-users, systems security officer, some procedural and utility program coding, and reporting on same. I also work on budgeting, and hardware and software maintenance agreements and contracts.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Problems should be welcomed. They are lessons. And Jai, you are a better engineer now than before after having faced the problems. IMHO, that is very positive. But sure, you have a lot of responsibilities in the office.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
System Administrator. ;) What that entails is o/s upgrades (oh really, ya think!? :D), supervising operations (though my boss begs to differ with me on the level of supervision I actually do :rolleyes:), supporting the developers, help desk and end-users, systems security officer, some procedural and utility program coding, and reporting on same. I also work on budgeting, and hardware and software maintenance agreements and contracts.
Ahh the unsung hero that is the System Admin!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Problems should be welcomed. They are lessons. And Jai, you are a better engineer now than before after having faced the problems. IMHO, that is very positive. But sure, you have a lot of responsibilities in the office.

Yes, I've actually been learning a good deal in this project, which isn't done yet. It's something of a humbling experience. Technology is changing faster than you can keep up with. It makes you realize you have to rely on resources other than yourself, and to learn your limitations.

Shantanu

My story:

I had a very big project over the weekend: upgrading the operating system of one of our computer systems. These computers are in the mainframe class. They run various warehouse distribution, software development, financial applications, among other things. In short, they run the business.

I put a picture of Lord Ganesha on my desk and prayed to him that it go smoothly Usually they do. I began the process, but right out of the gate it failed. It was one nightmare failure after another, to the point that at this moment it is still not running properly, even having rolled back to the previous version.

In conversations with IBM hardware and software support, I came to find out that all the upfront and background research and preparation was not done, as I thought. Guess whose responsibility it was. Why I didn't have all the preparations is typical IBM mis- and missing information. I couldn't know what information was missing or what I should know if I couldn't find anything; you don't know what you don't know. So maybe I can't be blamed.

So how do the gods enter into this? We tend to think (or I did, anyway) that Ganesha would hear my prayers and decide "yeah ok, I'll make it smooth sailing for him". After the failures my first inclination was to look at the picture and say "why? I prayed for help". Admittedly I was a bit perturbed. Then I realized he didn't have anything to do with it. He was not going to change what was already ordained to happen. What needed to be done was already set by IBM. There was no way in this case that what was set to happen was going to magically or divinely change. Karma? No, I don't believe so because this could happen to any other system administrator (and probably has).

So the point, and I do have one: we can't blame the gods for everything or expect that they'll change what may already be in place to happen. I see and read about people praying for certain things, and then getting upset with the gods when the person doesn't get what they want. I wanted a smooth project, but what I got instead [drum roll, please] ... was a learning experience. I've learned something new how to not make the same mistake for the next two systems I have to upgrade. I learned that Lord Ganesha did not ignore me or make things rough for me... maybe he wasn't even paying attention, and someone else sent me the lesson, or maybe no one. At any rate, I didn't get what I wanted, I got what I needed. But I still like to believe that was divine intervention. :D
The best way to deal with this question is to have no expectations; do your best to deal with your problems and get the job done. It is wrong even to give thanksgiving to God for it is assuming too much that God is there to help you deal with your issues no matter the strength of your devotion and faith. We need to surrrender to God but not assume that he will remove the obstacles from our lives. It the obstacles get removed and you have survived that is just the reality that has happened. For God wants us to have an uncertain future and it is only our own imagination that we think that He is leading us to the promised land so to speak. We need to deal with our own problems and issues. Once that work is done in our quiet reflection we wonder if God has helped us get through our difficulties. The next moment the process starts again. We negotiate our daily problems even in surrender. When we surrender we are accepting the wish of God that this particular work or difficulty is in our path of life. So we should be content with our lot without having expectations or desires or attachments.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
it is assuming too much that God is there to help you deal with your issues no matter the strength of your devotion and faith. We need to surrrender to God but not assume that he will remove the obstacles from our lives. It the obstacles get removed and you have survived that is just the reality that has happened.

That is indeed something I learned, though I like to believe that when something good comes unexpectedly, it has a divine source.

I was a bit surprised at myself for thinking he would change the course of what was to be. Usually I only ask him to remove the obstacle of my own stupidity and ego. I didn't ask for that this time.