• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are saved by good works

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I believe the jist of it is that the works were not done because there was a lack of faith in Jesus. However if it were a matter of never having done anything good, it would be a very short list but the list of those who haven't done things because they didn't have faith in Jesus is a lot bigger list. So for the saved even a meager act is sufficient but for the unsaved they never can do enough.
This falls under, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Do whatever you want, profess faith in Christ if you want but it is still only when Jesus accepts your faith are you saved. It's still not on you or your works.

game_winner

Revelation 20:12

And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Why does God need books? I thought he said he would forgive us our sins and forget about them?

Matthew 25
41“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, Depart from Me, you cursed, 42into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
44“Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Romans 2:6
He will judge everyone according to what they have done.

James 2:17
So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

So we are clearly judged by our works.

Revelation 20:15
Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

God is a bookkeeper

Why does God need books? He doesn't.
I thought he said he would forgive us our sins and forget about them? That depends. Only those who believe in and receive Christ (John 1:12) will have their sins forgiven.
So we are clearly judged by our works. Yes, the unbeliever will be judged by them and suffer eternal damnation as a result. The believer will also be judged by what he has done, but not in order to be sent to hell. His works will be judged to determine what rewards he receives.

Phantasman

Works are the fleshly actions of the spirit. Without the works of Jesus, no man could be saved. Works were/are essential.

"Become zealous about the Word. For the Word's first condition is faith; the second is love; the third is works. Now from these comes life. For the Word is like a grain of wheat. When someone sowed it, he believed in it; and when it sprouted, he loved it, because he looked forward to many grains in the place of one; and when he worked it, he was saved, because he prepared it for food. Again he left some grains to sow. Thus it is also possible for you all to receive the Kingdom of Heaven: unless you receive it through knowledge, you will not be able to find it.- Secret James

Without works, the seed (word of God) will remain a seed.

Muffled

Jesus in me
This falls under, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Do whatever you want, profess faith in Christ if you want but it is still only when Jesus accepts your faith are you saved. It's still not on you or your works.

I believe this applies also:
Lu 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Works are the fleshly actions of the spirit. Without the works of Jesus, no man could be saved. Works were/are essential.

"Become zealous about the Word. For the Word's first condition is faith; the second is love; the third is works. Now from these comes life. For the Word is like a grain of wheat. When someone sowed it, he believed in it; and when it sprouted, he loved it, because he looked forward to many grains in the place of one; and when he worked it, he was saved, because he prepared it for food. Again he left some grains to sow. Thus it is also possible for you all to receive the Kingdom of Heaven: unless you receive it through knowledge, you will not be able to find it.- Secret James

Without works, the seed (word of God) will remain a seed.

I believe without Jesus the works will not follow or be accepted.

I believe this is why non-Biblical texts can be misleading because they are the thoughts of men.

Phantasman

I believe without Jesus the works will not follow or be accepted.

I believe this is why non-Biblical texts can be misleading because they are the thoughts of men.
I see it the opposite. When men dictate what to read or not to read, it becomes a doctrine of men.

The "men" who created the orthodox Bible were patriarchs. Jesus wasn't. And the non canon gospels are not either.

Perception.

whirlingmerc

And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Why does God need books? I thought he said he would forgive us our sins and forget about them?

Matthew 25
41“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, Depart from Me, you cursed, 42into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
44“Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

God is a bookkeeper

Salvation is by grace through faith . One is saved by faith alone but not by faith that is alone. There is fruit which follows and there can be a judgement of works that show one have saving faith

works without faith is dead as well

Case in point... Abraham was declared righteous when he believed God would provide a son... the faith he already had was vindicated by his act of willingness to offer Isaac knowing God would have to bring Isaac back from the dead decades later

Col 1:5,6 Youth fruitfulness (your faith working in love) goes back to the day you understood the grace of God in truth

12jtartar

Premium Member

Matthew 25

God is a bookkeeper

PopeADope,
I can see that you are pretty well acquainted with God’s word, but you lack a little in putting all Scriptures together to make all Scripture harmonious.
Revelation 20:12, where it says that they were judged out of the things written in the books, according to their Works. Notice that the Scripture speaks about another book was opened. This book records the works done AFTER they are resurrected, during the Judgemant Day. No one who makes it into the Judgement Day is judged by what he did before the Thousand Year Judgement Day.
The reason this is true, is, they have paid the ultimate price for sins, when they died, Romans 6:23. The people who live through The Judgement Day are saved by the great Ransom Sacrifice of Jesus, Revelation 7:14, 1Timothy 2:4-6, John 3:16, 2Corinthians 5:14,15, John 1:29, Hebrews 10:14-18. These Scriptures show that all sins of the people who live through The Great Tribulation, are forgiven, they are perfected, forever. The ones resurrected into The Judgement Day have paid the ultimate price for their sins. Even today, we do not punish people over, after they have paid for their errors or sins, called Double Jeapordy. The Bible is very clear that death pays the price for sin, Romans 6:7. Because Jesus died for peoples sins, the dead will be resurrected to life in the Judgement Day, and they will be judged by their works during the Judgement Day. If all people continue to make progress during the Judgement Day they will keep living. Then, at the end of the Thousand Year Judgement Day, all people living will be tested one last time when Satan will be released from the Abyss, and will try one last time to turn people away from God, Revelation 20:1-10. Everyone who survives this last test will be granted Everlasting Life, in a paradise earth, Revelation 21:1-7.
Everyone that fails this last test will be thrown into the Lake of Fire and Sulfur, which is a symbol for everlasting removal. E
I think books are symbolic references of the "opening up" one's deeds and revealing what they've done in life.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
PopeADope,
I can see that you are pretty well acquainted with God’s word, but you lack a little in putting all Scriptures together to make all Scripture harmonious.
Revelation 20:12, where it says that they were judged out of the things written in the books, according to their Works. Notice that the Scripture speaks about another book was opened. This book records the works done AFTER they are resurrected, during the Judgemant Day. No one who makes it into the Judgement Day is judged by what he did before the Thousand Year Judgement Day.
The reason this is true, is, they have paid the ultimate price for sins, when they died, Romans 6:23. The people who live through The Judgement Day are saved by the great Ransom Sacrifice of Jesus, Revelation 7:14, 1Timothy 2:4-6, John 3:16, 2Corinthians 5:14,15, John 1:29, Hebrews 10:14-18. These Scriptures show that all sins of the people who live through The Great Tribulation, are forgiven, they are perfected, forever. The ones resurrected into The Judgement Day have paid the ultimate price for their sins. Even today, we do not punish people over, after they have paid for their errors or sins, called Double Jeapordy. The Bible is very clear that death pays the price for sin, Romans 6:7. Because Jesus died for peoples sins, the dead will be resurrected to life in the Judgement Day, and they will be judged by their works during the Judgement Day. If all people continue to make progress during the Judgement Day they will keep living. Then, at the end of the Thousand Year Judgement Day, all people living will be tested one last time when Satan will be released from the Abyss, and will try one last time to turn people away from God, Revelation 20:1-10. Everyone who survives this last test will be granted Everlasting Life, in a paradise earth, Revelation 21:1-7.
Everyone that fails this last test will be thrown into the Lake of Fire and Sulfur, which is a symbol for everlasting removal. E
Good post. Why does God release Satan from the abyss? God clearly wants suffering, death, confusion, and war. He's asking for it

Muffled

Jesus in me
I see it the opposite. When men dictate what to read or not to read, it becomes a doctrine of men.

The "men" who created the orthodox Bible were patriarchs. Jesus wasn't. And the non canon gospels are not either.

Perception.

I believe it isn't men who tell me not to read garbage it is God who tells me that.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Good post. Why does God release Satan from the abyss? God clearly wants suffering, death, confusion, and war. He's asking for it

I believe for those who have led temporal lives and did not convert the devil is loosed in judgement on them.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Matthew 25

God is a bookkeeper
You are the book.....
all that you have said or done will be made known
all that was done in secret will be brought into the light

and it is written somewhere.....
there are no works of hand that will justify you before God and heaven

God can shame your best effort on your best day....with the least of His own

Phantasman

I believe it isn't men who tell me not to read garbage it is God who tells me that.
Then how do you know it's garbage if you never read it? 1 John tells you to "try the spirits". Men tell you not to.

Christ never put a restriction on where to "seek and find". Men do.

"Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."- 1 John 4

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Then how do you know it's garbage if you never read it? 1 John tells you to "try the spirits". Men tell you not to.

Christ never put a restriction on where to "seek and find". Men do.

"Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."- 1 John 4

I believe I don't need to know what is in it because God knows and I do not have to try the spirits because the only one I allow is the Holy Spirit who I know better than I know myself.

I believe Jesus did when he questioned the interpretations of scripture by men. At any rate the issue may not have come up while He was here in the body but He certainly does in the Spirit.

Phantasman

I believe I don't need to know what is in it because God knows and I do not have to try the spirits because the only one I allow is the Holy Spirit who I know better than I know myself.

I believe Jesus did when he questioned the interpretations of scripture by men. At any rate the issue may not have come up while He was here in the body but He certainly does in the Spirit.
Is the Holy Spirit your mother?