• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Are Both

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
FB_IMG_1653604016939.jpg

We are and always have been, Both. Be Both.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The fear I think, well for me anyway, is if you accept help, they'll will want something in return that you either can't or are unwilling to pay.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The fear I think, well for me anyway, is if you accept help, they'll will want something in return that you either can't or are unwilling to pay.

If they ask for more then fair recompense, that's on them.

"A greedy man, if he be not mindful,
eats to his own life's hurt" 20.

"To his friend a man should bear him as friend,
and gift for gift bestow,
laughter for laughter let him exchange
but leasing pay for a lie." 42

Equal reciprocity is what I read out of this last stanza. The first seemed self explanatory.

-Havamal

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
@The Hammer
Did you edited it? Maybe my phone had acted up earlier but I can see the pic in your OP now.

Edited cuz my words got messed up

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I often dont ask for help cuz im terrified of being a burden and cuz of a little something called trauma.
But im trying to break the habit of not asking for help now

MikeF

Premium Member
View attachment 63238

We are and always have been, Both. Be Both.

What if the one requesting or needing help is in that position through poor choices? Should one be reckless and injudicious and always expect someone else to solve or extricate one from problems.of one's own making? Is there any personal responsibility in your philosophy?

MikeF

Premium Member
It is my personal responsibility to help others, regardless of how they got where they are.

How's that?
That's great if you are happy with that.
I take things on a case-by-case basis. In some cases there is an issue of being an enabler of self defeating or self-destructive behaviour.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That's great if you are happy with that.
I take things on a case-by-case basis. In some cases there is an issue of being an enabler of self defeating or self-destructive behaviour.

I won't enable someone's bad behavior.

But I won't turn away the needy either.

If someone's poor choices led them to where they are, through drugs, alcohol, crime, or what have you; I will extend a hand to help if asked. If they continue to persue the same patterns without some marked improvement. Then I will eventually forfeit my assistance.

I only want to see progress. Not a total overhaul of their life, unless they choose it.

MikeF

Premium Member
I won't enable someone's bad behavior.

But I won't turn away the needy either.

If someone's poor choices led them to where they are, through drugs, alcohol, crime, or what have you; I will extend a hand to help if asked. If they continue to persue the same patterns without some marked improvement. Then I will eventually forfeit my assistance.

I only want to see progress. Not a total overhaul of their life, unless they choose it.

And I would agree with that. I'm not sure what my problem is with the OP other than my concern that sometimes the help that is wanted is not the help that is needed.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What if the one requesting or needing help is in that position through poor choices? Should one be reckless and injudicious and always expect someone else to solve or extricate one from problems.of one's own making? Is there any personal responsibility in your philosophy?

Well, that has a limit. It has to do with the fact value distinction.
It is not a fact that another human is responsible for her/his action just because someone says so. Responsibility is a sort of value judgment and depends on the standard in you, when you claim another human is responsible.

There is more, but that is the first part.