• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are all made of dead people.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Maybe it that last micro-second of existence. The realization that "Hey! I'm not coming back from this."

"At the same time, we also study the human mind and consciousness in the context of death,” Parnia said, “to understand whether consciousness becomes annihilated or whether it continues after you've died for some period of time — and how that relates to what's happening inside the brain in real time."
After death, you’re aware that you’ve died, say scientists
Physical higher-level brain functioning consciousness is usually gone before physical death. I don’t see us metaphysically speculating at that point or having any more information than we do now. People lose consciousness all the time and they don’t usually come back with any new insights.

George-ananda

Premium Member
There is a Nobel, waiting for you to get past
"facts not in evidence".
Stop the Nobel non-sense. If you could show how consciousness is a physical-only process then they’ll buy you a dinner in Sweden (I don’t recommend the fish and chips).

These questions are at the stage of best reasoning.

Audie

Veteran Member
Stop the Nobel non-sense. If you could show how consciousness is a physical-only process then they’ll buy you a dinner in Sweden (I don’t recommend the fish and chips).

These questions are at the stage of best reasoning.

I know the old "put up or shut up" thing makes people
uncomfortable when they gots no "put up".

"Best reasoning" would not include things equivalent
to "show that my cat is not psychic" as cornerstones
of their figurin'.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Physical higher-level brain functioning consciousness is usually gone before physical death. I don’t see us metaphysically speculating at that point or having any more information than we do now. People lose consciousness all the time and they don’t usually come back with any new insights.

You're so pessimistic. :p

George-ananda

Premium Member
I know the old "put up or shut up" thing makes people
uncomfortable when they gots no "put up".

"Best reasoning" would not include things equivalent
to "show that my cat is not psychic" as cornerstones
of their figurin'.
Well put up your theory on consciousness then and prove it! Or perhaps 'shut up' about anyone claiming proof?

Audie

Veteran Member
Well put up your theory on consciousness then and prove it! Or perhaps 'shut up' about anyone claiming proof?

Now now, I already challenged you to prove my cat aint psychic.

( BTW, you seriously are asking someone to prove
a theory? Why do I suspect you dont even know what
nonsense that is!)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
They are part of the food.
Appealing thought, eh?
Just think...your favorite cheese has a little of my long dead grandmother, Bertha, in it.

I bought some delightful truffle cheese on saturday, very expensive but wow the aroma and taste of those truffles is to die for. That reminds me, Bertha really added to the flavour.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I am glad you are looking. I don’t know if they are philosophers and scientists or what but I think both need to be heard from.

Philosophy is not science, it does not use scientific methods because woo cannot be observed