• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are all dust

Mel B

Ecclesiastes 3:20 tells us we come from dust and we will return to dust.

Does that mean we are nothing?

Personally I think being start dust is pretty cool.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Far from nothing!

We are the universe made conscious, the cosmos contemplating itself.

"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Peace

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If we are dust then we are not nothing. We are something.
'Start dust'? Did you mean 'Star Dust'? That surely is cool. Ecclesiastes 3:20 is not very exact. Being 'Dust' or 'Star dust' are two different things.

Mel B

If we are dust then we are not nothing. We are something.
'Start dust'? Did you mean 'Star Dust'? That surely is cool.

Yes, I mean star dust. My mistake. I just make the print on my computer screen a lot larger so I can better see what I post.

Ecclesiastes 3:20 is not very exact. Being 'Dust' or 'Star dust' are two different things.

What is the difference between star dust and dust? Isn't all dust star dust?

One more thing. I've been lead to believe that the energy within us will continue to exist after we die and will last at least til the end of the universe.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jedster

@Mel B

If you don't mind< I have 2 questions (off topic)
1> Are you really a spice girl...lady?
2> I am curious as to where the picture you display is?

Cheers.

Mel B

@Mel B

If you don't mind< I have 2 questions (off topic)
1> Are you really a spice girl...lady?
2> I am curious as to where the picture you display is?

Cheers.

I'm male. I've been named Mel for over 60 years now. Long before the spice girls appeared. The name Melissa and Melinda and their variants became common in the 80's and 90's and now we have a large number of gals out there in internetland who have used up almost all the internet handles that I might want to use when I join a new forum. Some of the people in their thirties I've met online claim they didn't know Mel could be a man's name. I try to just be just me online and I try to use my name, or part of it at least, but Mel B was the first name I found that wasn't taken in this forum. I'm an old white male from the 60's and early 70's.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Since all the Universe is made from matter, brought into existence by the Creator, he just used the same materials in different ways to form the planets, stars and creatures, implementing laws to keep things relatively organized. It keeps the planets in their orbits and the moon causing the tides to ebb and flow.

We are made from the elements of the earth, (science has proven it)....and lots of water. No one is quite sure what water is or where it came from. (oh they know its composition H2o) but it is the most extraordinary substance in existence....vital for all life to survive.....but in short supply elsewhere in the universe apparently. The Bible speaks of the earth originally being covered with water. So it was here from the beginning, making this planet unique in our solar system.

Rather than being "nothing" we humans were the crowning achievement of the Creator in making us to be caretakers of this earth and its creatures. He even gave us his qualities and attributes so as to make sure that we would represent him well.....but we blew it unfortunately because we failed to discern the wisdom of obedience and the proper use of free will......many of us have learned it thankfully through the trials of this life....some are in the process right now....but many will never learn it at all. Unfortunately, it seems to be those ones who are in charge of the world. :rolleyes:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, I mean star dust. My mistake. I just make the print on my computer screen a lot larger so I can better see what I post.

What is the difference between star dust and dust? Isn't all dust star dust?
One more thing. I've been lead to believe that the energy within us will continue to exist after we die and will last at least til the end of the universe.
Oh, I do not have to do that at present. ;)
Star Dust is more informative, indicates the origin. Sure, dust also is 'Star dust'.
The energy that is 'us'. I agree to your last comment. However, 'end of universe' is debatable (Ultimate fate of the universe - Wikipedia).
Leonard left us almost two years ago. You think he is slowly becoming dust?
:D He was dust while he lived, he is dust when he is dead. No change.
.. but it is the most extraordinary substance in existence....vital for all life to survive....but in short supply elsewhere in the universe apparently. The Bible speaks of ..
Yeah, we ate the apple. Another extraordinary substance is Carbon. Water alone could not have created all the variety in the world, which has a carbon base. What does Bible say about carbon?

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Yeah, we ate the apple.

I didn't eat the apple. :D It wasn't an apple anyway. The consequences for its consumption have caused a ripple effect throughout the whole of human history though. Even in this age where knowledge is abundant.....we still fail at the basic things like how to care for the planet, its creatures, and each other.

Another extraordinary substance is Carbon. Water alone could not have created all the variety in the world, which has a carbon base. What does Bible say about carbon?

I'm sure that there are still many extraordinary substances still to explore Aupmanyav. And like a lot of other substances, carbon is not mentioned specifically.....who among the people reading the Genesis account over the last few thousand years would have had a clue what it was anyway? It wasn't easily identifiable like water.

The Bible is not a science textbook but was written for a much simpler audience than we have now.....why do you think we have gained so much knowledge just in the last century or so? I don't think it is coincidental personally. ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Bible is not a science textbook but was written for a much simpler audience than we have now .. why do you think we have gained so much knowledge just in the last century or so? I don't think it is coincidental personally. ;)
Right, Bible was written by simple people who did not have much scientific knowledge at that time, not even equivalent to what Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Sumerians, etc., knew. It is wrongly mentioned as the God's Word. Actually, whether there is a God or not also is debatable.

Exponential progression. I am sure you know about that. There are more people and facilities for research today than at any other time, so the accretion of knowledge also is much faster. Every day we come to know of new things. The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), also called Mangalyan is a space probe orbiting Mars since 24 September 2014. Chandrayaan-2 (Moon Rover) is slated for January 2019, and will attempt to soft land a lander and rover in a high plain between two craters. By 2022, Indians also will be in space with their own vehicle. Murphy's law?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Right, Bible was written by simple people who did not have much scientific knowledge at that time, not even equivalent to what Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Sumerians, etc., knew. It is wrongly mentioned as the God's Word. Actually, whether there is a God or not also is debatable.

Exponential progression. I am sure you know about that. There are more people and facilities for research today than at any other time, so the accretion of knowledge also is much faster. Every day we come to know of new things. The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), also called Mangalyan is a space probe orbiting Mars since 24 September 2014. Chandrayaan-2 (Moon Rover) is slated for January 2019, and will attempt to soft land a lander and rover in a high plain between two craters. By 2022, Indians also will be in space with their own vehicle. Murphy's law?

I see things very differently obviously. As a believer in the God of the Bible, had such knowledge become available too early, with man's propensity to fail at very high levels when it comes to caring for the planet and its inhabitants, I believe that God kept all such knowledge under wraps in order for humanity not to annihilate itself before it was God's due time to usher in his "final solution" to the problem of man's disobedience. According to the Bible, all things are progressing right on schedule, and in the time of the present world rulership, (i.e. in the near future,) God will set up his own world government in the face of man's utter failure to achieve one.
Its all written in the book of Daniel 500 years before Christ was born. :)