• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Are All Bahais

UnityNow101

Bahaullah and his teachings are a wonderful gem for humanity. However, when one turns his teachings of universal fellowship into an attempt to bring all of these religions under the banner of the "official" Bahai faith, I believe that they are doing a great disservive to these wonderful teachings. Any organizational religion with a strong authoratative center, whether they be based upon the teachings of Jesus, Muhammed, or Bahaullah, are bound to be corrupted by the will to control and lead. This is not to say these religions do not do anything of worth, but that they do much more harm then good when they try to bring about a one true faith, even if that faith is said to encompass all religions. We ought to be seeking unity in diversity, which I believe most Bahai's to be engaged in. I just feel that once they go off on how we are to follow the Laws of some Divine Messenger, that we stumble back into the old pattern of thought which leads to division and moral superiority...

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Bahaullah and his teachings are a wonderful gem for humanity. However, when one turns his teachings of universal fellowship into an attempt to bring all of these religions under the banner of the "official" Bahai faith, I believe that they are doing a great disservive to these wonderful teachings. Any organizational religion with a strong authoratative center, whether they be based upon the teachings of Jesus, Muhammed, or Bahaullah, are bound to be corrupted by the will to control and lead. This is not to say these religions do not do anything of worth, but that they do much more harm then good when they try to bring about a one true faith, even if that faith is said to encompass all religions. We ought to be seeking unity in diversity, which I believe most Bahai's to be engaged in. I just feel that once they go off on how we are to follow the Laws of some Divine Messenger, that we stumble back into the old pattern of thought which leads to division and moral superiority...
I quite agree with what you say. Instead of seeking to superimpose a universal religion, we ought to create individuals with universal minds - and we can always start the work with our own mind!

Last edited:

Steinninn

Viking
I'm curious, what do you feel then IS the objection to the act of homosexual sex If sex isn't limited to "procreation purpose only"? Why would it be considered "wrong"? I'm not trying to turn this into a homosexuality is right/wrong debate I'm just curious to hear your views.
Honestly, I don't know. You could try to google search it. There is also a very nice guy on youtube that made a video about it. Or maybe some other baha'is around here could share some light on that.

Booko

Deviled Hen
As I said, I rather like the Bahai teachings. I just can't adopt them, not when they rely so much on belief in God.

Hi Luis. I haven't been here in forever, but dropped by to post something else and noticed this.

I was an atheist for years before I became a Baha'i, so I understand what you mean. A friend of mine was a Baha'i for two years before she finally decided oh what the heck, if I believe what Baha'u'llah said about the other stuff, I might as well go along with the God existing thing too. Well, she always had a great sense of humour.

But that's not a problem, although it saddens me somewhat to see such a noble faith fail to recognize that there are atheists.

Oh, I wouldn't say it doesn't recognize there are atheists. After all, Abdu'l-Baha did say that Religion should be a cause of unity, and if isn't, then it would be better to stay away from it.

So perhaps you're more religious than you thought. ;)

Goodness knows, I stayed away from religion for years for exactly that reason. Well, that and I didn't care to believe in a God that gave me brains and then demanded I not use them. You know how that is.

Renji

You can be a, hindu bahai, jewish bahai, christian bahai, moslem bahai....

The Bahai teachings are different than other religious teachings in that Bahais will look and see God in everyone. It does not matter who or what you believe, all the religions were sent from God, to us. That is why these teachings of Bab and Bahaullah are so important. They are important teachings because they say that all the worlds religious teachings are from the same source, God. There is no separation between the religions, because God sent them all to teach us something.

What about Satanism? Is it from God? And if all the religions were sent by God to us, why does religions have different beliefs (for example, there are religions saying that there is only one God and some believe that there can be many)?

Adib

Lover of World Religions
Honestly, I don't know. You could try to google search it. There is also a very nice guy on youtube that made a video about it. Or maybe some other baha'is around here could share some light on that.

I think the sound in that video by Keyvan Mehrabi has been ruined for some reason. :(

I have this very short paper by Mary Kay Radpour on the subject, but it might come across as controversial: http://adibmasumian.googlepages.com/BahaiFaithHomosexuality-MaryKayRadpo.doc

Regarding the cited paper, I'd like to make a note about this quote:

According to the Bahá’í teachings, the primary purpose of marriage is the procreation of children and the training of those children to carry forward certain roles as mothers and fathers in adulthood.

Note that it is the primary purpose but not the sole one. Obviously there is the element of pleasure in it as well and that's fully recognized and accepted, but procreation takes priority over that.

Last edited:

Booko

Deviled Hen
What about Satanism? Is it from God? And if all the religions were sent by God to us, why does religions have different beliefs (for example, there are religions saying that there is only one God and some believe that there can be many)?

Lawrence, just so you know, unless Drew declared since I've been off here, he is not a Baha'i. (You can look at some older threads yourself to confirm this.) If he were he would be aware of what's in our Writings that talks about whether it's possible to be a Baha'i and something else at the same time. There was a time bordering a century ago where that was possible. Now it isn't.

I see you're a Catholic? For a Baha'i to say they believe the religions sprang from One Source is not really so different than a Catholic recognizing that before there was Christ there were the prophets in the Hebrew Testament and there is guidance from God there as well. But just as you believe in the truth in the Hebrew Testament but are not Jewish, so I believe in the Gospels but I'm not Christian, and the Vedas but am not Hindu, etc.

As for what religions are "correct" we're not in that business. There are a few religions specifically mentioned in our Writings and those we are sure of. Everything else is up to the individual Baha'i to figure out for him or herself. Our highest elected body routinely refuses to make any statements about which religions aren't and aren't valid and I take my cue from them.

Hm, maybe this might be of some use:

Fundamental Principle of Religious Truth

Let no one, however, mistake my purpose. The Revelation, of which Bahá'u'lláh is the source and center, abrogates none of the religions that have preceded it, nor does it attempt, in the slightest degree, to distort their features or to belittle their value. It disclaims any intention of dwarfing any of the Prophets of the past, or of whittling down the eternal verity of their teachings. It can, in no wise, conflict with the spirit that animates their claims, nor does it seek to undermine the basis of any man's allegiance to their cause. Its declared, its primary purpose is to enable every adherent of these Faiths to obtain a fuller understanding of the religion with which he stands identified, and to acquire a clearer apprehension of its purpose. It is neither eclectic in the presentation of its truths, nor arrogant in the affirmation of its claims. Its teachings revolve around the fundamental principle that religious truth is not absolute but relative, that Divine Revelation is progressive, not final. Unequivocally and without the least reservation it proclaims all established religions to be divine in origin, identical in their aims, complementary in their functions, continuous in their purpose, indispensable in their value to mankind.

(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 57)
If you want to know my personal opinion on Satanism, I work closely with a Luciferian and we seem to get along fine. I think of her as a reliable trustworthy person who I would be happy to have as a neighbor. "By their fruits shall ye know them" eh? :shrug:

arthra

Baha'i
I think on a very practical local level many Baha'i communities are active in Inter-faith Councils and in consultation with the various members decide on various service projects sometimes unique to each community.. So it is more than just a theoretical acknowledgement of the Divine origin of the World Religions many of us are actively involved with members of other faiths and find many areas of agreement and hence mutual support. I was a past president of my local inter-faith council for the past five years and so I can speak from personal experience.

On an international level you have the World Parliament of Religions .. and Baha'is have been involved on this level for a long time. Also Baha'is have long had consultation status as a member of the United Nations Nongovernmental agencies.

- Art