• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We all believe in crazy things...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe social media makes people not only less social, but more anti-social.

Yeah, so that's not 'woo'. Near as I can tell, that's more 'true'.

Connected to millions, but in the most superficial manner possible. No offence to all you folks, but give me one honest to goodness personal connection any day.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
I had heard the term "woo" used in this context before, but I was not aware of its origins. Of course, I've heard the phrase "pitching woo" or the verb "to woo," as in to court or pursue a romantic relationship. But this usage of "woo" is completely unrelated to that.

I always thought 'woo' was like the sliding scale woo woo... woo woo ..... meaning off the deep end or nutty etc.

; {>

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I always thought 'woo' was like the sliding scale woo woo... woo woo ..... meaning off the deep end or nutty etc.

; {>

Well, I suppose it's a pretty versatile word. It's even used as an exclamation, as one often hears people yelling "WOOOO!" at sporting events or other venues where there is applauding and cheering.

VioletVortex

I believe that DNA has Occult significance. This is both because of where I think its origins are, and also because of its shape and properties. Some would consider that pretty crazy...

MrMrdevincamus

I believe that DNA has Occult significance. This is both because of where I think its origins are, and also because of its shape and properties. Some would consider that pretty crazy...

That's not crazy, think about it. The way DNA is put together gives me faith an intelligence designed it. DNA is a code. Some say DNA is a pattern it is but its a very special pattern. Snowflakes, water waves, sand dunes (think wind blown) are patterns, and can be created by fractals and chaos. Some of my art in my albums use examples of computer generated fractals as part of the creative process. DNA is also a self contained structure that can store information, so its code, and a pattern code. So, containing code means it was more than likely created by an intelligent self aware process. There are a couple other ways DNA could be created but they are so farfetched as to be nearly impossible. Religion and the occult are very closely related, especially deity centered religious belief. Maybe that is what you are feeling?

ps sorry for the word salad reply it was difficult to put into words, no I'm not smoking nothing... ; { >

Last edited:

VioletVortex

That's not crazy, think about it. The way DNA is put together gives me faith an intelligence designed it. DNA is a code. Some say DNA is a pattern it is but its a very special pattern. Snowflakes, water waves, sand dunes (think wind blown) are patterns, and can be created by fractals and chaos. Some of my art in my albums use examples of computer generated fractals as part of the creative process. DNA is also a self contained structure that can store information, so its code, and a pattern code. So, containing code means it was more than likely created by an intelligent self aware process. There are a couple other ways DNA could be created but they are so farfetched as to be nearly impossible. Religion and the occult are very closely related, especially deity centered religious belief. Maybe that is what you are feeling?

ps sorry for the word salad reply it was difficult to put into words, no I'm not smoking nothing... ; { >

Think about its shape. It is a helix, much like an electromagnetic or thermal coil, but instead of electricity to magnetism or heat, it converts electricity into spirit. Not too far fetched, especially when you take into consideration that spark of light is produced when RNA fuses upon conception.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
In regards to the term...I use it when talking about things that seem highly unlikely and airy fairy.

ajay0

I've long said that everyone believes in a little woo, even us staunch rationalists.

There's a tag line at the bottom of my signature. It makes a statement about people's propensity to have faith in things that many would otherwise find ridiculous. What I'd like to do (if it doesn't erupt into a flame war) is compile a list of beliefs among all of us, atheist and theist alike, of all the things we believe in that are rather absurd, both personally and religiously.

It's easier said than done, but try to leave your sensitivities at home for this one. There's no reason to get offended by bit of fun prodding.

I'll start:
  • I believe, based on nothing but mathematical conjecture, that the Universe is literally teeming with life, both simple and complex.
  • I believe, more than I'd like to admit, that I've experienced enough dejavu in my life that I can control it when it occurs. (I also believe that I'm delusional...)
  • I believe that I once made a toothpick levitate off my arm when I was 7.

There is no issue in people believing in crazy things as long as they do not harm themselves or others.

There is an insightful saying by Voltaire in this regard...

As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities.

MrMrdevincamus

Think about its shape. It is a helix, much like an electromagnetic or thermal coil, but instead of electricity to magnetism or heat, it converts electricity into spirit. Not too far fetched, especially when you take into consideration that spark of light is produced when RNA fuses upon conception.

No, its not that farfetched. Having lived for many trips around the sun and having eaten much crow I have learned not to call 'woo' on any idea! But to get back to your musings. I wonder how you reconcile electricity, a fairly well known phenomenon (basically a flow of electrons), with a spirit, which seems to be in another dimension or ? Or are you referencing the creation of the 'spark' of life? ; { >

janesix

I've long said that everyone believes in a little woo, even us staunch rationalists.

There's a tag line at the bottom of my signature. It makes a statement about people's propensity to have faith in things that many would otherwise find ridiculous. What I'd like to do (if it doesn't erupt into a flame war) is compile a list of beliefs among all of us, atheist and theist alike, of all the things we believe in that are rather absurd, both personally and religiously.

It's easier said than done, but try to leave your sensitivities at home for this one. There's no reason to get offended by bit of fun prodding.

I'll start:
  • I believe, based on nothing but mathematical conjecture, that the Universe is literally teeming with life, both simple and complex.
  • I believe, more than I'd like to admit, that I've experienced enough dejavu in my life that I can control it when it occurs. (I also believe that I'm delusional...)
  • I believe that I once made a toothpick levitate off my arm when I was 7.
I believe God talks to me.
I believe the Universe is sending me messages.
I believe my chakras are opening
I believe the Universe is a living organism that consists of all life, yet has it's own consciousness.
I believe the coming of the Age of Aquarius will bring big changes, both in climate and human consciousness.

And much more.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I believe the coming of the Age of Aquarius will bring big changes, both in climate and human consciousness.

And much more.

I believe the last "...Age of Aquarius..." was a media ploy to get you to buy the record.

MrMrdevincamus

I believe God talks to me.
I believe the Universe is sending me messages.
I believe my chakras are opening
I believe the Universe is a living organism that consists of all life, yet has it's own consciousness.
And much more.

>>>>>>PARTIAL QUOTE>>>>>>>>>
jonathan180iq said:
"I've long said that everyone believes in a little woo, even us staunch rationalists. There's a tag line at the bottom of my signature. It makes a statement about people's propensity to have faith in things that many would otherwise find ridiculous".
<<<<<<PARTIAL QUOTE<<<<<<

Jonathan you are a great 'people watcher, ie an observer of human nature. That said, I also believe a good number of 'staunch rationalists' even a few hard core atheists* that to believe in a higher power things that go bump in the night. Evolutionary biologists will say supernatural? Blah! They say, 'It's a yearning created when we were in the womb or infants, the child wanting its parents never to leave etc'. To sooth my atheist friends that might take offense at those statements I can also say many believers truly hope life after death does NOT exist! lol yeah I do believe that.

If I had to come up with a non-religious reason we have the 'need to believe' the yearning might have imprinted on our DNA at the dawn of mans self awareness, when humanity began gaining the ability to think in abstract ideas, and when we were beginning to realize our own mortality. Death is the king of terrors the bible tells us, and the hope that death isn't real is a great opiate for the masses, eh? But to my knowledge there is no empirical evidence to support my first hunch that the need to believe is a genetic memory. ; { >