• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways to be legally ordained

Seamus369

Fo a few years now I have thought of becoming legally ordained but I can't quite find an organization I feel is a good match. I am also writing this because I can't seem to find any useful info on my own and I know if you want to catch more fish you need a bigger net.

I am pagan so many organized groups would see me as an outsider. I am conservative so quite a few pagan groups who are more open, and a bit too inclusive wouldn't like many of my viewpoints. I've also thought of aligning myself with a Humanist organization but many of them dislike my views as well.

I'm not a horrible person nor a racist. I believe the deeds and actions of a person are the basis on how they should be judged not the trivialities of skin colour, sexual preference, money... But I also believe in being honorable and obeying the rules. As en example the issue of immigration is what got me ejected from a few groups recently. I don't care where someone is from. Nor am I simple or naive enough to believe that people don't deserve a chance to better themselves, to give their children hope and a chance for a real future. But, I also can not agree in turning a blind eye and allowing someone to break the law or abuse the system with impunity.

Basically, all the groups I've found that would allow me to become ordained either seem to be "certification mills" who'll give anyone paperwork or, they see me as a deluded, backwards fool who they want nothing to do with. I simply want to help those I can help, be able to hold a legal ceremony to mark any of the milestones in life, just do what I can to give someone hope if they need it.

So, anyone know of an organization that would work for my needs.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
User Sunrise123 is part of an organization that ordains people. Check with them for details.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Fo a few years now I have thought of becoming legally ordained but I can't quite find an organization I feel is a good match. I am also writing this because I can't seem to find any useful info on my own and I know if you want to catch more fish you need a bigger net.

I am pagan so many organized groups would see me as an outsider. I am conservative so quite a few pagan groups who are more open, and a bit too inclusive wouldn't like many of my viewpoints. I've also thought of aligning myself with a Humanist organization but many of them dislike my views as well.

I'm not a horrible person nor a racist. I believe the deeds and actions of a person are the basis on how they should be judged not the trivialities of skin colour, sexual preference, money... But I also believe in being honorable and obeying the rules. As en example the issue of immigration is what got me ejected from a few groups recently. I don't care where someone is from. Nor am I simple or naive enough to believe that people don't deserve a chance to better themselves, to give their children hope and a chance for a real future. But, I also can not agree in turning a blind eye and allowing someone to break the law or abuse the system with impunity.

Basically, all the groups I've found that would allow me to become ordained either seem to be "certification mills" who'll give anyone paperwork or, they see me as a deluded, backwards fool who they want nothing to do with. I simply want to help those I can help, be able to hold a legal ceremony to mark any of the milestones in life, just do what I can to give someone hope if they need it.

You could try talking to Pagan Federation International and see if they have any methods for ordaining Pagan priests.

Jedster

Just google "how do I start my own religion", lots of easy ways.
That way you won't have to compromise..

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

The first thing to do is to find out what your state's requirements are for recognized ordination credentials. Those ordination mills like ULC are not accepted by all states.

Covenant of the Goddess, Circle Sanctuary, and Sacred Well have generally accepted ordination programs. Also consider affiliation with a local UU church as UU has congregational ordination.

Shlomoh

Universal Life Church. I became a minister but you can become which ever clergyman you want. There may be a pagan item too

pearl

I simply want to help those I can help, be able to hold a legal ceremony to mark any of the milestones in life, just do what I can to give someone hope if they need it.

Would you include offering sanctuary to immigrants? Or would you be selective in offering this hope?

Seamus369

You have not said what your needs are.
Why do you need this? Why do you even want it?
Tom

Sorry about that, was going to post a followup when I noticed I didn't explain that part well but life got in the way.

Why I am planning to do this because I see so few pagans who hold my views that do more than practice quietly at home in secret. Yes, there are some genuine people who are trying to good but I also see so many flakes and fools who are more caught up in what amounts too make-believe versions of history or just outright fantasy.

So I just want to find a way to help who I can help as well as show people that not all pagans believe in silly ideas such as magic, crystal power or what have you. Also, I know getting a piece of paper will not change what I can do or even give me the ability to do anything. The deeds and actions fall squarely on my shoulders and no paper will change that.

As far as my need to do this, I plan to lead by example. Show other pagans who are dissatisfied with the new-age, touchy-feely ideology that they are not alone and that we don't have to fear being openly pagan just because one semi-aligned group of people are labeled as flakes. I also want to openly oppose the fact that a lot of new-agers lump conservative pagans in with the racist fools who use religion as an excuse to pound their chests and spread hate.

I don't know it I will do as much as I'd like but, if in doing this if I just help one person than it'll be worth it.

Hope this made some sense, have a busy day and just wanted to reply when I had the chance.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Sorry about that, was going to post a followup when I noticed I didn't explain that part well but life got in the way.

Why I am planning to do this because I see so few pagans who hold my views that do more than practice quietly at home in secret. Yes, there are some genuine people who are trying to good but I also see so many flakes and fools who are more caught up in what amounts too make-believe versions of history or just outright fantasy.

So I just want to find a way to help who I can help as well as show people that not all pagans believe in silly ideas such as magic, crystal power or what have you. Also, I know getting a piece of paper will not change what I can do or even give me the ability to do anything. The deeds and actions fall squarely on my shoulders and no paper will change that.

As far as my need to do this, I plan to lead by example. Show other pagans who are dissatisfied with the new-age, touchy-feely ideology that they are not alone and that we don't have to fear being openly pagan just because one semi-aligned group of people are labeled as flakes. I also want to openly oppose the fact that a lot of new-agers lump conservative pagans in with the racist fools who use religion as an excuse to pound their chests and spread hate.

I don't know it I will do as much as I'd like but, if in doing this if I just help one person than it'll be worth it.

Hope this made some sense, have a busy day and just wanted to reply when I had the chance.
Actually, it did not clear anything up.

Do you need an ordination?
If so, why?

The reason i got the numerous ordinations I have is to show my BiL that anyone can get ordained.
Hells bells, I got my AKC registered dog ordained.

And yes, they knew he was a canine before they added him to their list.
My other dog could not be ordained because he is not AKC registered.

Don't get me wrong.
Some organizations are not so free with their ordinations.
And some are down right strict about who they will ordain.