• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Way over the top

pearl

The action of a very vain person? I knew Pope Benedict was an extreme traditionalist, but this?

Pope Benedict Has Custom-Designed Cologne

Speaking to Rome's daily paper, Il Messaggero, Casoli said that the name of the pope's specially-commissioned scent is top secret and she is not allowed to divulge all its ingredients. She did, however, reveal that she was inspired by the pope's love of "nature" and used a blend of fragrances from lime-wood, verbena and grass.

"I love speaking of my work," said Casoli, "but this time I can't. I am very devoted to the Holy Father." She promises his special cologne will never be reproduced for anyone else.

Casoli said she nearly fainted when she received the phone call from the Vatican and took months working on the commission in her small laboratory in northern Italy. At times she thought she would abandon it, but then she said she got inspired.

Pope Benedict XVI, who is 85 and was once the archbishop of Cologne, Germany, is known for his elegance in both speech and attire. His attention to detail and color in his papal clothing has often been commented on and he has reintroduced a number of items to papal attire during his papacy, like his fur-lined, short, deep-red cape. Shortly after his election it was said that he wore Prada shoes and Gucci sunglasses, all quietly denied by the pope's entourage.

Pope Benedict Has Custom-Designed Cologne - ABC News (go.com)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The action of a very vain person? I knew Pope Benedict was an extreme traditionalist, but this?

Pope Benedict Has Custom-Designed Cologne

Speaking to Rome's daily paper, Il Messaggero, Casoli said that the name of the pope's specially-commissioned scent is top secret and she is not allowed to divulge all its ingredients. She did, however, reveal that she was inspired by the pope's love of "nature" and used a blend of fragrances from lime-wood, verbena and grass.

"I love speaking of my work," said Casoli, "but this time I can't. I am very devoted to the Holy Father." She promises his special cologne will never be reproduced for anyone else.

Casoli said she nearly fainted when she received the phone call from the Vatican and took months working on the commission in her small laboratory in northern Italy. At times she thought she would abandon it, but then she said she got inspired.

Pope Benedict XVI, who is 85 and was once the archbishop of Cologne, Germany, is known for his elegance in both speech and attire. His attention to detail and color in his papal clothing has often been commented on and he has reintroduced a number of items to papal attire during his papacy, like his fur-lined, short, deep-red cape. Shortly after his election it was said that he wore Prada shoes and Gucci sunglasses, all quietly denied by the pope's entourage.

Pope Benedict Has Custom-Designed Cologne - ABC News (go.com)

Then according to him I'd be a bonafide pagan.:emojconfused:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't get it. He had a special fragrance made for himself by a designer? Why is that over the top? I've been to shops where they will combine different essential oils to your liking, except in this case it was by a higher-end artist.

That's like hiring an interior designer to custom build cabinets for your kitchen, rather than buying the stock cabinets off the shelf at Menards or Home Depot. Or hiring a landscaper to design and build a water garden in your yard for you. It will be unique for you.

I'm not sure why this is all that decadent. Certainly not as much as all the ornate and elaborate gold decorating the halls of the Vatican itself would be, is it? Am I missing something?

pearl

Certainly not as much as all the ornate and elaborate gold decorating the halls of the Vatican itself would be, is it? Am I missing something?

But here it is the case the pope himself that is 'ornate', displaying the love of worldly goods from one who is supposed to be the 'servant' yet dresses like a king.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I like the Pope and we should never backbite. Our own sins are our concern.

What is over the top is wars, predudices, famine and the widening gap between rich and poor.

Regards Tony

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If actually commissioned by the Pope it would appear to be excess. But if the maker of it volunteered her services as a devout Catholic then I would not see much of a problem with it.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But here it is the case the pope himself that is 'ornate', displaying the love of worldly goods from one who is supposed to be the 'servant' yet dresses like a king.
I would hardly consider wearing a uniquely designed cologne a lavish extravigence. I had a custom made oil for me from BodyTime shop in Berkley, California while on a vacation trip. Set me back about $15. :)

While I myself am far more a fan of Pope Francis than I was of Benedict, I don't see having some nice things for the body to be the same thing as a pursuit of the worldly pleasures over the spiritual. Even Jesus didn't deny others gifting him with expensive oils, nor himself in receiving or enjoying them.

John 2:3-8

And even if he commissioned her to make that, should you expect him to wear rags, instead of nicer clothing, because all earthly pleasures are sin? Should he never experience silk, and only wear burlap? You see my point?

pearl

While I myself am far more a fan of Pope Francis than I was of Benedict, I don't see having some nice things for the body to be the same thing as a pursuit of the worldly pleasures over the spiritual. Even Jesus didn't deny others gifting him with expensive oils, nor himself in receiving or enjoying them.

I can agree. Its really the garb I have a problem with, left over from Roman aristocracy.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its easy to make cologne. You can get all the ingredients cheaply: fragrant oils, glycerin, something to make it mix together, spray bottle. You can get a starter kit that includes test tubes and an assortment of oils. Mix a little this and a little that, and you've got your own cologne.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Pope Benedict appears to be a wise, capable and compassionate leader of the Catholic Church. Wearing Gucci sunglasses and being discerning about choice of body cologne isn't not a deal breaker for me.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Pope Benedict appears to be a wise, capable and compassionate leader of the Catholic Church. Wearing Gucci sunglasses and being discerning about choice of body cologne isn't not a deal breaker for me.
I don't think the body cologne will do much for him now however, since he's been deceased since December 31. ;)

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The pope is a monarch. As such I would go so far as to say that it is an obligation that he dress and conduct himself as appropriate to his station. I am not calling for the reintroduction papal tiara but Benedict's attempt to bring back just a little bit of the pageantry of the papal office is something I support.

I agree with the above posters in that a custom cologne is far from a scandalous extravagance. Assuming the costs were within reason of course.

Last edited:

pearl

The pope is a monarch. As such I would go so far as to say that it is an obligation that he dress and conduct himself as appropriate to his station. I am not calling for the reintroduction papal tiara but Benedict's attempt to bring back just a little bit of the pageantry of the papal office is something I support.

The pope represents more than a monarchy, a shepherd and his flock, a visible symbol of Jesus. Nothing can be farther from this than the garb of kings worn by men. Francis has got it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Absolutely Fabulous!

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The pope represents more than a monarchy, a shepherd and his flock, a visible symbol of Jesus. Nothing can be farther from this than the garb of kings worn by men. Francis has got it.
The notion that ritual and pageantry are antithetical to Christianity is puritanical nonsense in my view.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Jesus walked and wore simple clothes. The Pope does not represent him well, IMO.
He represents men's tendency to complicate truth and lose the plot. IMO.