• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waves don't move water - but it can carry you - God

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Waves really aren't moving but is simply the an up and down movement. However, these oscillating movements can carry things on a forward movement.

Colossians 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

My position is that, basically speaking, everything is being pushed by God's Holy Spirit towards the final destination of being one with Him. Constant waves of love pulsating all things for Him. He will use every situation and every moment to move mankind towards His uniting and gather all things together in Christ.

However, we can be like the buoy in the ocean where we make the decision to not move towards the life of God, the originator of all things. Our self-will or independence can make the difference.

When we decide to be moved, a serendipity effect takes place where God begins to bring into our lives connections that will help us (or as we help others) to reach that place of God's purpose.

For an example: I am seated next to a man in an airplane who just happen to be drifting away from God. Coincidence? or God bringing all things for Him?

Things progressed from there to today where his business is now helping bring 4 generators to supply electric to a school for the poor to break the poverty cycle.

No matter where you are, no matter what your past is, no matter where you are currently going, God can and will use all things to bring people back into oneness with Him through His goodness.

Or

We can opt out of the process and simply go up and down in the same place that we were years ago.

A thought... your thought?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, waves in water don't just move up and down. The water moves in a circular pattern.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Waves really aren't moving but is simply the an up and down movement. However, these oscillating movements can carry things on a forward movement.

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fullness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

My position is that, basically speaking, everything is being pushed by God's Holy Spirit towards the final destination of being one with Him. Constant waves of love pulsating all things for Him. He will use every situation and every moment to move mankind towards His uniting and gather all things together in Christ.

However, we can be like the buoy in the ocean where we make the decision to not move towards the life of God, the originator of all things. Our self-will or independence can make the difference.

When we decide to be moved, a serendipity effect takes place where God begins to bring into our lives connections that will help us (or as we help others) to reach that place of God's purpose.

For an example: I am seated next to a man in an airplane who just happen to be drifting away from God. Coincidence? or God bringing all things for Him?

Things progressed from there to today where his business is now helping bring 4 generators to supply electric to a school for the poor to break the poverty cycle.

No matter where you are, no matter what your past is, no matter where you are currently going, God can and will use all things to bring people back into oneness with Him through His goodness.

Or

We can opt out of the process and simply go up and down in the same place that we were years ago.

If I remember correctly, in the Dharma (Buddha) I read that the waves are the cause and affect. When the waves stop, and all is calm is when one truly understands the Dharma in his practice. The ocean calms. Wisdom is present.

So instead of air/holy spirit moving the waves, we are the waves in and of itself. We are the cause and affect. Cause and affect doesn't end at a destination but our understanding of it lets our ego/etc go to rest:

Touched by contact in various ways,
he shouldn't keep conjuring self.
Stilled right within,
a monk shouldn't seek peace from another
from anything else.
For one stilled right within,
there's nothing embraced,
so how rejected?[2]
As in the middle of the sea
it is still,
with no waves upwelling,
so the monk — unperturbed, still —
should not swell himself
anywhere."

"He whose eyes are open has described
the Dhamma he's witnessed,
subduing danger.
Now tell us, sir, the practice:
the code of discipline & concentration."
-SN 4:14

"So the monk--unperturbed,still-should not swell himself anywhere."

Here's another view of the human condition:

The aggregates of mind and body, being ever subject to cause and effect, as we saw above, pass through the inconceivably rapid moments of arising, presently existing, and ceasing (uppaada, .thiti, bha"nga), just as the unending waves of the sea or as a river in flood sweeps to a climax and subsides. Indeed, human life is compared to a mountain stream that flows and rushes on, changing incessantly (AN 7.70) "nadisoto viya," like a flowing stream. -Nyanaponika Thera

Basically, there is no distinction between the air, waves, and us so instead of being carried, our condition is a compilation/is the movement and calmness is to understand that movement without being disturbed by it. It still exists but the calmness represents that we aren't affected by it.

-

Some people see god as both your example and the Dharma just different wording. I think they are quite different, you think?

Agnostisch

Egyptian Man
Water is eternal and is the home of the soul, from the water the spirit came out, and is thus the source of life and death.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Actually, waves in water don't just move up and down. The water moves in a circular pattern.

Yeah I can see it when there is debris In the water.
Not that I thought anything about it but it is interesting to have your observations confirmed.

So what actually moves you forward would be the gravity?

So God is like gravity, constantly pulling you toward him/her/it....
The waves are the up and downs and constant repetitions in life. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
Waves moving forward. In these cases, inland..

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
And surfing...
Yet another made up fantasy created by atheists to convince theists that god is not real.

Milton Platt

Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Or

Your first sentence is incoherent. You are saying that waves aren't movement, but they move.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I was not referencing the article. I was referencing the forst sentence in your post
I reread it.... not sure how you read into that. I thought I said they move up and down. Maybe I can rewrite it to make it more clear

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Or

Well when you mix waves with chaos you end up with a tusami. ;0)