• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watchtower: Jesus is not "a god"!

Dogknox20

You continue misunderstanding, and you're right in the sense that God is "a" God, and Jesus is not "the" God that his Father is. If two persons are said to be one, it doesn't mean they are literally one person. Sorry you don't understand that. You are probably aware of the scripture at Matthew 28, after Jesus' resurrection: "Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me." Given to him. G-i-v-e-n to him.
As it goes, John 1:1 says that the "Word" was God (King James and other versions) and was with God. That's two. Not one. Or three. at John 1:1. Two. God the Word and the God that the Word was with. Sorry about that, but you're wrong. We can discuss what the words 'god' and 'worship' really mean. As far as definitions of worship or God go, that may be my next endeavor with you. :) Have a good night.

Christians believe and teach "Jesus is God"! Christians worship Jesus they have always worshiped Jesus!
YoursTrue It is an HISTORICAL FACT... Christians worship Jesus they have always worshiped Jesus!

YoursTrue This is also an historical FACT: The JWs came along 1800 years AFTER Christians! The JWs came all of these many years after Jesus claiming; Jesus is NOT God! FACT: The scriptures are clear "Anti-Christs will come attacking Christian belief!

Christians have taken the "Cross" to represent Christianity, you see a "Cross" on a building it means inside are Christians!
Christians have ALWAYS worshiped Jesus because Jesus is God.. Thomas the Apostle is a Christian!
NCV
Matthew 10:38 Whoever is not willing to carry the cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Christians follow Jesus Christians use the symbol of the "CROSS"!

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Christians believe and teach "Jesus is God"! Christians worship Jesus they have always worshiped Jesus!
YoursTrue It is an HISTORICAL FACT... Christians worship Jesus they have always worshiped Jesus!

YoursTrue This is also an historical FACT: The JWs came along 1800 years AFTER Christians! The JWs came all of these many years after Jesus claiming; Jesus is NOT God! FACT: The scriptures are clear "Anti-Christs will come attacking Christian belief!

Christians have taken the "Cross" to represent Christianity, you see a "Cross" on a building it means inside are Christians!
Christians have ALWAYS worshiped Jesus because Jesus is God.. Thomas the Apostle is a Christian!
NCV
Matthew 10:38 Whoever is not willing to carry the cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

So-called Christians have been killing each other for years. Catholic killing Catholic, Protestant killing Protestant. So much for the cross. Bye for now. And have a nice day. Oh yes, and Catholic killing Protestant, Protestant killing Catholic, etc. :) (Don't want to leave that out. :) )

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
The Greek says, "The Lord of me and the God of me".

The other apostles already knew what Thomas had said. It was Thomas who was the doubting one and now knew that Jesus was whom He had been telling them He was.
They could have been bored or running short of money and so went back to work. Who knows.

The 500 saw the resurrected Jesus. They did not know He was God.
Again you refuse to answer the question about the Israelite elders seeing God.
The Father is an invisible spirit but the Israelite elders saw God. Did they see the Father, no, so who did they see if it was someone who was God?
I have already answered you so please stop saying I haven’t answered you!!!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So-called Christians have been killing each other for years. Catholic killing Catholic, Protestant killing Protestant. So much for the cross. Bye for now. And have a nice day. Oh yes, and Catholic killing Protestant, Protestant killing Catholic, etc. :) (Don't want to leave that out. :) )
That's because churches have people in them, and churches are made for us imperfect people. Remember, the Apostles had their "issues" as well, and Jesus wasn't too pleased with them at times.

Or, let me put it this way: "Let he whom is without sin cast the first stone".

YoursTrue

That's because churches have people in them, and churches are made for us imperfect people. Remember, the Apostles had their "issues" as well, and Jesus wasn't too pleased with them at times.

Look some believe in literal torment in fire as recompense for sin unforgiven. They think or say that Jesus really was giving an actual account of that hot place after the rich man died and poor old Lazarus in God's breast. Isn't that cute? God reaches the heart. He hears when someone wants to know. Similarly when someone recognizes Jesus, he knows.

2ndpillar

The only apostle that had major issues was the "worthless shepherd" (Zechariah 11:17), Peter. Paul had problems, but he was only a self professed apostle, and was pointed out by Yeshua in Matthew 7:13-15, as a wolf in sheep clothing, who would be denied (Matthew 7:23) for his "lawlessness". As for the saying, let he whom is without sin cast the first stone, that is not in the original Pe****ta bible, or in one of the earliest dated bibles, supposedly found at the monastery of Saint Catherine.

As for "churches", they are of the world, and one must come out of the world. You have sinners, who need to repent, which is to turn away from sin, or suffer the consequences, and you have the righteous. You can either be of the congregation of sinners, or the congregation of the righteous. The "wicked"/lawless/tares (sinners), will eventually find themselves in the furnace of fire (Matthew 13:30), and the righteous, will find themselves taken into the barn (kingdom of heaven). As for if you want to become "perfect", keep the commandments, sell all you have and give it to the poor, and follow me. (Matthew 19:17-21)

2ndpillar

Look some believe in literal torment in fire as recompense for sin unforgiven. They think or say that Jesus really was giving an actual account of that hot place after the rich man died and poor old Lazarus in God's breast. Isn't that cute? God reaches the heart. He hears when someone wants to know. Similarly when someone recognizes Jesus, he knows.

The story of Lazarus and the rich man is simply a children's story taken from the Talmud, which comes from Luke. If you read Luke 1:1-3, his stories are all taken from unidentified story tellers.

Dogknox20

AND....
JWs killing Children in the name of God... :)

YoursTrue

The story of Lazarus and the rich man is simply a children's story taken from the Talmud, which comes from Luke. If you read Luke 1:1-3, his stories are all taken from unidentified story tellers.
Perhaps you can get an answer about that from, um, DogKnox. Maybe he thinks it's literal. Try...:)

YoursTrue

NCV

LOL, sad, truly truly sad.

YoursTrue

AND....
,..,:)
2ndpillar said "The story of Lazarus and the rich man is simply a children's story taken from the Talmud, which comes from Luke. If you read Luke 1:1-3, his stories are all taken from unidentified story tellers."
Whatcha think, DK? Do you believe it's a children's story? Or -- do you think it's "literal."??

YoursTrue

Why won't you answer the question about the Israelite elders seeing God and who it was that they saw?
Since DogKnox20 seems to have all the answers and insists he's right 'bout things scriptural, I suggest you ask him. :) Maybe he knows...:)

YoursTrue

AND....
JWs killing Children in the name of God... :)
You have as usual completely misunderstood the context. And thank you for your answer because you have capped the subject for me, at least with people like you. Enjoy your day. Whereas I'm sad for you, I have learned something from you. And for that I appreciate that.

Soapy

Why won't you answer the question about the Israelite elders seeing God and who it was that they saw?
Why do you keep asking me to say what I have already said?

ALMIGHTY GOD never leaves his ethereal throne in the Spirit world called Heaven.

He sends his holy angels, his messengers, and his Holy Spirit to do His Will.

Angels are representatives of God just as ambassadors are representatives of a king. The king doesn’t go but instructs his ambassadors and it is they should go out.

So, no! To see God is to die because sin cannot exist before God…. Like darkness cannot exist in the presence of light!

Perfect analogy!!

God is light… Sin is darkness!

JerryMyers

Ex 24:10 and they saw the God of Israel. Under His feet was a work like a pavement made of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself. 11But God did not lay His hand on the nobles of Israel; they saw Him, and they ate and drank.
Again you did not answer. I guess you either do not know the scriptures or cannot answer the question.
The problem with people like you and Dogknox20 is that YOU (and people like you) took the Bible LITERALLY!

The Bible is clear that NO man CAN AND HAS LITERALLY seen God –
You cannot see my face, for no man
can see me and live.” – Exodus 33:20

No one has seen God at any time. If we continue loving one another, God remains in us and his love is made perfect in us” – 1 John 4:12

If one is to take the Bible LITERALLY as you and Dogknox20 do, then the Bible is full of contradictions within its pages!!

How do you reconcile Exodus 24:10 where it said they SAW God with Exodus 33:20 where it said NO MAN CAN SEE God and live??

The only way you can reconcile verses like Exodus 24:10 with Exodus 33:20 is –

1. to accept the fact that the Bible often uses ‘seeing God’ FIGURATIVELY to indicate enlightenment of the heart. In other words, you see God with the ‘eyes’ of your heart. Even Paul understands this – “that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the accurate knowledge of Him. He has enlightened the eyes of your heart, so that you may know to what hope He called you, what glorious riches He holds as an inheritance for the holy ones” – Ephesians 1:17-18.
Interesting to note that even Paul did not see Jesus as God and that’s why he referred to the true God as the God of Jesus in Ephesians 1:17!

2. to accept the fact that one is actually seeing an angel who is representing God, but NEVER is one LITERALLY seeing the true God.

In Exodus 3:2 we are told that God’s angel appeared to Moses in a flame of fire in the midst of a bush and in later references, the appearances of this angel was referred to as if God Himself appears to these folks, which is common in those days to refer to angels who came or appeared to certain individual or group of people with the Message from God as if it was God Himself.

The problem is that you do not know who Jesus is.
Jesus did not lie to Thomas. Jesus is the Son of God and became a man with a body and rose again with a body.
As the pre human Son He had one nature, God nature.
As the human and resurrected Son He has 2 natures, that of God and of a servant. (That is shown in Phil 2)
Thomas knew what Jesus had been teaching about Himself, that He is the Son of God and equal to His God and Father and is in His Father and His Father is in Him.
Thomas as a Jew in those days does not make up a 20th century exclamation of surprise (My Lord and My God) when that would be blasphemy in those days.
You could say that Thomas we calling Jesus "My Lord" and calling the Father in Jesus "My God".
But Thomas was addressing Jesus and calling Him "My Lord and my God".
For starters, Jesus NEVER referred to himself as “God”, so what precedent then did Thomas have for calling Jesus “my God”?? There was no indication that tells us the other disciples who have seen Jesus before Thomas did, believe Jesus is God, so why would Thomas??

In Concessions of Trinitarians, Michaelis, a Trinitarian, writes:
‘I do not affirm that Thomas passed all at once from the extreme of doubt to the highest degree of faith, and acknowledged Christ to be the true God. This appears to me too much for the then existing knowledge of the disciples; and we have no intimation that they recognized the divine nature of Christ before the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. I am therefore inclined to understand this expression, which broke out in the height of his astonishment, in a figurative sense, denoting only “whom I shall ever reverence in the highest degree”…Or a person raised from the dead might be regarded as a divinity; for the word God is not always used in the strict doctrinal sense”’.

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @Dogknox20, @Soapy, and readers.
I am back from traveling and immediately noticed some significant problems with the data in some of the posts.

OFFERING FAKE "BIBLE QUOTES" AND PARAPHRASES AND COMMENTARY IN THE PLACE OF ACTUAL BIBLICAL TEXT

I've noticed the tendency for posters to offer paraphrases and fake text and commentary that appears like it is actual biblical text in the place of authentic biblical text. The problem with corrupting the biblical text is that unsuspecting readers may not notice the difference and assume the poster is offering actual biblical text to support a position when in fact, the authentic and actual biblical text may support an entirely different view.

For example

Dogknox20 offered several inaccurate texts for Greek John 1:18 and, I suppose, assumed readers would notice all but one are inaccurate paraphrases and are NOT an authentic translation of Greek John 1:18.

Dogknox20 offered :
"1 John 18: No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.
CSB
1 John 18 No one has ever seen God. The one and only Son, who is himself God and is at the Father’s side—he has revealed him.
CJB
1 John 18 No one has ever seen God; but the only and unique Son, who is identical with God and is at the Father’s side — he has made him known.
CEV
1 John 18 No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like.
DLNT
1 John 18 No one has ever seen God; the only-born God, the One being in the bosom of the Father— that One expounded Him.
ERV
1 John 18 No one has ever seen God. The only Son is the one who has shown us what God is like. He is himself God and is very close to the Father.
ESVUK
1 John 18 No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known.
GNT
1 John 18 No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is the same as God and is at the Father's side, he has made him known.
etc
etc (post #1353)

I think a poster of such non-biblical texts has an obligation to make readers aware when presenting text as a “biblical text” when in fact, it is not a quotation of biblical text.

Of the above offerings, only the ERV version, can be construed as a translation of the Greek.
NONE of the others follow the base text and are NOT authentic translations of biblical text. They are overt paraphrases and commentary offering dogma, but they are not a translation of the actual text.

Even the poster “Soapy” who is not known to be burdened with much education on language and text noticed these texts were not authentic.
Soapy said : “Any linguists around in this forum to show that these extracts show a load of nonsense!” (post #1358)
(Though to be fair, he's offered paraphrase as authentic text as well)

I and other greek readers on the forum can tell you that Soapy is correct regarding the majority of these quotes. They are not authentic biblical translations.
The actual Greek source text of John 1:18 is : “Θεον ουδεις εωρακεν πωποτε μονογενης θεος ο ων εις τον κολπον νου πατρος εκεινος εξηγησατο.
This is the version in NA-28 and in the GN4 as well.
This text as I have typed it has a “B” rating in the GN4 apparatus which means THIS text “is almost certain”.
In any case the are NO greek variants in existence which read according to the version Dogknox20 offered as “biblical quotes”.
The actual texts says that "no one has ever seen God (the) only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, (that one) has declared him"

I noticed again in post #1361 that Dogknox20 offered what he seems to want to appear to be a “biblical quote” as follows : “John 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.” (Dogknox20, in post #1361)

While the authentic Greek text reads “No one has ever seen God…”, there is NO Greek source text that says “but the one and only son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father” does not appear in and cannot be accurately translated from any source Greek text in existence.
It seems to be a dogmatic commentary inserted into an English paraphrase.

Readers should know and understand that when such texts are presented as authentic “biblical quotes”, they are being given bogus texts and not biblical texts.

WHY DID THE EARLY EDITORS OF BIBLICAL TEXT CHANGE THE TEXT TO "THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON WHO IS IN THE BOSOM OF THE FATHER" INSTEAD OF LEAVING THE ORIGINAL TEXT "THE ONLY BEGOTTEN GOD WHO IS IN THE BOSOM OF THE FATHER" ?

While there may be multiple theories as to why and when this text was changed, the motive seems to be a discomfort with the doctrine of "a begotten God" in addition to God the Father who is "an unbegotten God".

The text does not equate the Father to the son, but if anything, creates a description of two Gods, one who is begotten and one who is unbegotten.

I have thought that once the 3=1 trinitarian doctrine arose and became popular, the text became less palatable and this is the motive as to why the text was changed.

If any other posters have other theories as to the reason the text was changed, I would certainly like to hear any other theories.

Clear
φυφιτωτζτζω

Last edited:

Soapy

Even the poster “Soapy” who is not known to be burdened with much education on language and text noticed these texts were not authentic.
Soapy said : “Any linguists around in this forum to show that these extracts show a load of nonsense!” (post #1358)
(Though to be fair, he's offered paraphrase as authentic text as well)
Wow, @Clear, I’m so chuffed that you realise I’m uneducated and do not know language and text!

I feel like one of the uneducated disciples/apostles of Jesus’ time.

Your travels must have refreshed your mind - Thank you for the big Up!

Brian2

Veteran Member
2ndpillar said "The story of Lazarus and the rich man is simply a children's story taken from the Talmud, which comes from Luke. If you read Luke 1:1-3, his stories are all taken from unidentified story tellers."
Whatcha think, DK? Do you believe it's a children's story? Or -- do you think it's "literal."??

It reflects what the Jews of the day believed about sheol.