• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watching tv

dantech

How can it help
It would give us a better idea of who you are, and where you're coming from.

Saying things like "I was raised religious" and "you need to watch tv to know what's going on in the world" could suddenly make more sense if we know some of your background.

Leo613

It would give us a better idea of who you are, and where you're coming from.

Saying things like "I was raised religious" and "you need to watch tv to know what's going on in the world" could suddenly make more sense if we know some of your background.
I think watching tv is what the whole world does I don't see What background I come from has any difference

rosends

First, you are coming here to ask questions. If you didn't trust the people here then why would you listen to the answers?
Second, your level of education and religious knowledge will help people frame answers and choose vocabulary and cultural references which are relevant.
Third, knowing your experience base will help people hold back answers which are clearly wrong before you can shoot them down as bad answers.
Fourth, it is simply good netiquette to let people know something about you so that no one has to guess and watch you dance around the issue with vague answers and defensive replies.

No one is asking for sensitive information but I can say with ease that I went to a MO day school, then an all boys (centrist) yeshiva HS and a secular college, then studied for smicha with a Rabbi in Brooklyn. I don't fear that you can steal my identity through that. Heck, I can even give my full name and current address and I don't think you will start stalking me. Well, I don't think anyone else will, but I don;t know you because you have told me nothing about yourself. So maybe you might ;)

Leo613

First, you are coming here to ask questions. If you didn't trust the people here then why would you listen to the answers?
Second, your level of education and religious knowledge will help people frame answers and choose vocabulary and cultural references which are relevant.
Third, knowing your experience base will help people hold back answers which are clearly wrong before you can shoot them down as bad answers.
Fourth, it is simply good netiquette to let people know something about you so that no one has to guess and watch you dance around the issue with vague answers and defensive replies.

No one is asking for sensitive information but I can say with ease that I went to a MO day school, then an all boys (centrist) yeshiva HS and a secular college, then studied for smicha with a Rabbi in Brooklyn. I don't fear that you can steal my identity through that. Heck, I can even give my full name and current address and I don't think you will start stalking me. Well, I don't think anyone else will, but I don;t know you because you have told me nothing about yourself. So maybe you might ;)
Ok parents BT Lubavitch Stamford hill I'm 43 unemployed

Flankerl

No one is asking for sensitive information but I can say with ease that I went to a MO day school, then an all boys (centrist) yeshiva HS and a secular college, then studied for smicha with a Rabbi in Brooklyn.

GO GO GO

BdW43Kw_800.jpg

dantech

We've all introduced ourselves at some point.
My name is Dan, I am 25 years old. I live in Montreal, Canada. I am a network administrator at a governmental chain of hospitals, and medical clinics.
I went to an Modern Orthodox elementary school, as well as high school. As for college, I studied in I.T while dedicating some time every week for Jewish studies.
Today, I am married, and have an 18 month old son.

This I haven't said yet, but I'm trying to convince my wife so that we can make our aliyah to Israel. I've been saving up and I think that now is a good time, especially sometime before my son starts elementary.

Leo613

And so until you were 21, did you feel that you were ignorant, and that you were missing out on so much by not watching TV?
I thought tv was just entertainment the main part I felt inferior was there was no secular education at all

Tumah

Veteran Member
I thought tv was just entertainment the main part I felt inferior was there was no secular education at all
Who is there to feel inferior too? If everyone in your community is that way, then you're all on even grounds.
I was raised with very little secular education and I don't seem to be suffering from this problem.

Leo613

Who is there to feel inferior too? If everyone in your community is that way, then you're all on even grounds.
I was raised with very little secular education and I don't seem to be suffering from this problem.
I want to be part of the wider world maybe

rosends

Not usually besides the weekly Jewish news paper but I watch the news on tv everyday
I see two separate issues here: first, you want to be up on the world. Any source of news would suffice. The newspaper, radio news, and, yes, TV news. If you want to limit the exposure to undue images/influences while still maximizing your news intake, you can choose a medium like print or radio which avoids visuals. Second, you want to know about things of a broader spectrum than just news. If you feel it is important and of value to know about cultural issues, then you have decided that you need a medium which provides that information. Many people do just fine without staying up do date with news from the world of popular culture. TV can provide that (though there are other venues).

The bottom line is that unless you particularly want to see stuff that is only on TV, you needn't isolate TV as being an important addition to your life that has to be rationalized.

Leo613

I see two separate issues here: first, you want to be up on the world. Any source of news would suffice. The newspaper, radio news, and, yes, TV news. If you want to limit the exposure to undue images/influences while still maximizing your news intake, you can choose a medium like print or radio which avoids visuals. Second, you want to know about things of a broader spectrum than just news. If you feel it is important and of value to know about cultural issues, then you have decided that you need a medium which provides that information. Many people do just fine without staying up do date with news from the world of popular culture. TV can provide that (though there are other venues).

The bottom line is that unless you particularly want to see stuff that is only on TV, you needn't isolate TV as being an important addition to your life that has to be rationalized.
Do u watch tv or use internet