• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington State To Washington DC Bike Path Planned

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is an odd forum for this thread, but I saw no better one.
Great American Rail-Trail | Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
Picture yourself … pedaling across the entire country on a safe, seamless and scenic pathway—or walking a local trail that connects along historic routes. Imagine the incomparable experience of exploring America’s heritage by trail—its potential, its beauty and bounty, its people and places. Consider the economic opportunities and the benefits for communities along the route of a multiuse trail that stretches more than 3,700 miles from Washington to Washington. Learn more about the vision of the Great American Rail-Trail.
great-american-rail-trail-gis-map.png

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I thank you for showing up to express your disinterest.
This thread is for those who like traveling by bike without
the risk of being killed by a car. Exercise & green tourism
isn't for all. But we progressives really like it.
I'm all for bike paths, lanes, whatever. I just don't see how one super long one is... noteworthy.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't see myself doing it on a bicycle, but maybe in some sort of electrified easy-chair.

Ellen Brown

I thank you for showing up to express your disinterest.
This thread is for those who like traveling by bike without
the risk of being killed by a car. Exercise & green tourism
isn't for all. But we progressives really like it.

I just saw this post today, May 10th, so I don't know where it was? I would love such a trail!!! My concern would be safety from two legged predators, so perhaps one would want to do it with a partner or group? So, which rail route would you convert to bike trail?

I am not an elite bike rider, and the most I have ridden is about 20 miles in one slow <12 MPH trip. If the trail did follow a railroad grade, that would keep the hills down to something I could manage, though some of it would be >5000 Feet. I would say perhaps rest/service area every 50 miles?

Due to past injuries to C-6, and lower back, I sit upright, but use road tyres inflated to 80 psi on my very pretty bike. I do have a rack and some paniers, but am not in love with the idea of weight hanging off the movable portion of the front of my bike, so perhaps a motel at night, not sleeping bag? I wonder if my 'seat part' would eventually adapt? I use a tractor seat now. The idea of a real riders seat is ludicrous to me.

I think riding across the 1000 miles of corn fields would be a trial.

Perhaps after the Apocalypse then?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Picture yourself … pedaling across the entire country on a safe, seamless and scenic pathway—or walking a local trail that connects along historic routes. Imagine the incomparable experience of exploring America’s heritage by trail—its potential, its beauty and bounty, its people and places. Consider the economic opportunities and the benefits for communities along the route of a multiuse trail that stretches more than 3,700 miles from Washington to Washington. Learn more about the vision of the Great American Rail-Trail.

It looks like it goes through some pretty steep mountainous terrain in the Northwest. But it seems interesting. Is it just for bikes, or do they allow horses or covered wagons?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just saw this post today, May 10th, so I don't know where it was? I would love such a trail!!! My concern would be safety from two legged predators, so perhaps one would want to do it with a partner or group? So, which rail route would you convert to bike trail?

I am not an elite bike rider, and the most I have ridden is about 20 miles in one slow <12 MPH trip. If the trail did follow a railroad grade, that would keep the hills down to something I could manage, though some of it would be >5000 Feet. I would say perhaps rest/service area every 50 miles?

Due to past injuries to C-6, and lower back, I sit upright, but use road tyres inflated to 80 psi on my very pretty bike. I do have a rack and some paniers, but am not in love with the idea of weight hanging off the movable portion of the front of my bike, so perhaps a motel at night, not sleeping bag? I wonder if my 'seat part' would eventually adapt? I use a tractor seat now. The idea of a real riders seat is ludicrous to me.

I think riding across the 1000 miles of corn fields would be a trial.

Perhaps after the Apocalypse then?
On a trail like that, a recumbent would be the only way to go.
You'd be faster because they're more aerodynamic, & you'd
be more comfortable in the reclining seat.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It looks like it goes through some pretty steep mountainous terrain in the Northwest. But it seems interesting. Is it just for bikes, or do they allow horses or covered wagons?

I suppose that would depend upon each section of the trail.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

This is so cool!

If they install charging stations along the way I'll never have to fly again!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd expect Ebikes to become quite prevalent.
Recharge at your motel, or carry solar cells
to charge while you ride.

Or you could rig it up so that your bike is being charged while you pedal it!
(note: please don't ruin this fantasy with physics)

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Where I did my graduate work was near a rails to trails conversion. I made good use of it regularly road a few hundred miles a week.

If it helps this may make it more relevant to the forum.

Will they make it a bipartisan trail or will it have a left lane and a right lane?

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Some will have lanes.
Some won't.
Connecting one side of the country with the other in both fact and philosophy. You cannot beat a sweet deal like that.

The most interesting things I saw riding trails were my first and only badger and goats. The goats were big, in a group and quite a surprise. I would imagine that a trail of the projected length would have a lot more to see and some surprises too.