• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Archbishop Calls Trump's Visit to Catholic Shrine 'Baffling and Reprehensible'

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
First the Episcopalians and a disturbing misuse of the Bible, now he's misappropriating Catholic shrines for his own self-image and partisan political purposes, during a time of mass civil unrest amid systemic racism and police brutality, when he should be showing compassionate leadership as the country's president.

Washington Archbishop Calls Trump's Visit to Catholic Shrine 'Baffling and Reprehensible'

(WASHINGTON) — President Donald Trump toured a Catholic shrine on Tuesday in his second straight religious-themed appearance as the nation grappled with widespread unrest over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Critics said the president was misusing religious symbols for partisan purposes. The White House said Trump and first lady Melania Trump were observing a “moment of remembrance,” laying a wreath in a quiet visit to the Saint John Paul II National Shrine.

The visit came a day after Trump declared himself to be the “president of law and order” and then walked to St. John’s Episcopal Church across from the White House after Lafayette Park was forcibly cleared of protesters. He held up a Bible for photos in front of the church, known as “The Church of the Presidents,” which had been damaged by fire during weekend protests.

Washington Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory said he was “baffled” by Trump’s visit to the shrine and called it “reprehensible that any Catholic facility would allow itself to be so egregiously misused and manipulated in a fashion that violates our religious principles, which call us to defend the rights of all people even those with whom we might disagree.”

Gregory said the late pope was an “ardent defender” of human rights.

“He certainly would not condone the use of tear gas and other deterrents to silence, scatter or intimidate them for a photo opportunity in front of a place of worship,” Gregory said in a statement.

Joe Biden, the likely Democratic presidential nominee, commented Tuesday in Philadelphia on Trump’s posing with a Bible. “I just wish he opened it once in a while.,” Biden said.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said at the Capitol, “We would hope that the president of the United States would follow the lead of so many other presidents before him and be the healer in chief, and not a fanner of the flame.” She also quoted verses from the Bible.

Episcopal Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde, whose diocese includes St. John’s, also criticized Trump’s use of the church.

“The president just used a Bible and one of the churches of my diocese as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for,” she said.

Donald Trump is rebuked by church leaders again for SECOND religious photo stunt in two days | Daily Mail Online

Church leaders lambasted the president after he made two separate trips to religious sites Monday and Tuesday in the midst of riots continuing in the nation's capital.

Although he did not use the president's name once in the statement, it was titled 'Archbishop Wilton Gregory Issues Statement on Planned Presidential Visit,' and claimed that Trump's actions Monday and Tuesday were all for the photo-op.

Donald Trump's campaign aide and attorney blasted the Archbishop's comments, claiming he is a 'pawn of the leftist media.'

'Distracting from the powerful image and statement of our United States President holding up a Bible in front of an historic American Church,' Jenna Ellis tweeted in response to a post about Gregory's comments.

'This bishop is unfortunately a pawn of the leftist media that thrives on destruction of all that is moral and just,' she continued.

The brass neck of these Trump campaign people astounds me. Calling a bishop of the archdiocese of Washington a political pawn of a "leftist media" that thrives on 'destruction', when they are the ones manipulating religious symbols, statues and shrines for their own political ends.

I wonder, what other church / denomination / religious community will be next in line for a 'Trump hijacking' of their symbols / scriptures or holy places?

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First the Episcopalians and a disturbing misuse of the Bible, now he's misappropriating Catholic shrines for his own self-image and partisan political purposes, during a time of mass civil unrest amid systemic racism and police brutality, when he should be showing compassionate leadership as the country's president.

(WASHINGTON) — President Donald Trump toured a Catholic shrine on Tuesday in his second straight religious-themed appearance as the nation grappled with widespread unrest over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Critics said the president was misusing religious symbols for partisan purposes. The White House said Trump and first lady Melania Trump were observing a “moment of remembrance,” laying a wreath in a quiet visit to the Saint John Paul II National Shrine.

The visit came a day after Trump declared himself to be the “president of law and order” and then walked to St. John’s Episcopal Church across from the White House after Lafayette Park was forcibly cleared of protesters. He held up a Bible for photos in front of the church, known as “The Church of the Presidents,” which had been damaged by fire during weekend protests.

Washington Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory said he was “baffled” by Trump’s visit to the shrine and called it “reprehensible that any Catholic facility would allow itself to be so egregiously misused and manipulated in a fashion that violates our religious principles, which call us to defend the rights of all people even those with whom we might disagree.”

“He certainly would not condone the use of tear gas and other deterrents to silence, scatter or intimidate them for a photo opportunity in front of a place of worship,” Gregory said in a statement.

Joe Biden, the likely Democratic presidential nominee, commented Tuesday in Philadelphia on Trump’s posing with a Bible. “I just wish he opened it once in a while.,” Biden said.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said at the Capitol, “We would hope that the president of the United States would follow the lead of so many other presidents before him and be the healer in chief, and not a fanner of the flame.” She also quoted verses from the Bible.

Episcopal Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde, whose diocese includes St. John’s, also criticized Trump’s use of the church.

“The president just used a Bible and one of the churches of my diocese as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for,” she said.

Donald Trump is rebuked by church leaders again for SECOND religious photo stunt in two days | Daily Mail Online

Church leaders lambasted the president after he made two separate trips to religious sites Monday and Tuesday in the midst of riots continuing in the nation's capital.

Although he did not use the president's name once in the statement, it was titled 'Archbishop Wilton Gregory Issues Statement on Planned Presidential Visit,' and claimed that Trump's actions Monday and Tuesday were all for the photo-op.

Donald Trump's campaign aide and attorney blasted the Archbishop's comments, claiming he is a 'pawn of the leftist media.'

'Distracting from the powerful image and statement of our United States President holding up a Bible in front of an historic American Church,' Jenna Ellis tweeted in response to a post about Gregory's comments.

'This bishop is unfortunately a pawn of the leftist media that thrives on destruction of all that is moral and just,' she continued.

The brass neck of these Trump campaign people astounds me. Calling a bishop of the archdiocese of Washington a political pawn of a "leftist media" that thrives on 'destruction', when they are the ones manipulating religious symbols, statues and shrines for their own political ends.

I wonder, what other church / denomination / religious community will be next in line for a 'Trump hijacking' of their symbols / scriptures or holy places?
I could not find the "terrified" icon, so I gave this a Winner. This is unbelievable. The depths of the depravity of soul that is in this broken terrified child who is the president of this nation. This is sickness to the soul. This is the dictator's rise. It is, maybe prophetic.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
There's alot of this going around. There's another bishop, a woman named... I kinda lost the link.

The problem is these are the same ultra-political "bishops" who have closed churches for their entire diocese.

The thing is, the Church and the State are to be separate. This means churches shouldn't be forced closed by the state governors, and it also means priests and bishops shouldn't be playing politics.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I could not find the "terrified" icon, so I gave this a Winner. This is unbelievable. The depths of the depravity of soul that is in this broken terrified child who is the president of this nation. This is sickness to the soul. This is the dictator's rise. It is, maybe prophetic.
I think Trump has become a new religion. That seems clear. Now, this next bit is more speculative -- but in these visits, I think he's trying to....assume the mantle, or be the one who receives the torch, so to speak -- to replace the previous object of faith/hope of those who now follow him. He's their hope. That's what I fear, partly because who wants to live through the predictions (prophecies) about this very kind of thing, as they are....highly troubled times.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Dang. They're going to have to reduce the shrine to a class 2 relic.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think Trump has become a new religion. That seems clear. Now, this next bit is more speculative -- but in these visits, I think he's trying to....assume the mantle, or be the one who receives the torch, so to speak -- to replace the previous object of faith/hope of those who now follow him. He's their hope. That's what I fear, partly because who wants to live through the predictions (prophecies) about this very kind of thing, as they are....highly troubled times.
I'm waiting for the multicolored posters to show up.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The thing is, the Church and the State are to be separate. This means churches shouldn't be forced closed by the state governors, and it also means priests and bishops shouldn't be playing politics.

How is denouncing the disrespectful co-opting of their religious imagery and relics as photo-op props "playing politics"?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well that was certainly Christian of him....

How was it unchristian? I would love to hear your explanation.
Your callout is curious, though, considering most Christian conservatives support polices and platforms that are antithetical to Christ's teachings and examples, so why would you pretend to be bothered by it now?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member