• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Tolstoy a liberal christian?

A-ManESL

Leo Tolstoy's views on christianity included negation of a need for the clergy and pacifism as an integral part of christianity. What were his views in details? Anyone care to share them.

Lucian

Theologian
Not any more than what the article says I'm afraid, though the poster dan_b has identified himself as a Doukhobor.

dan b

Yea I'm a doukhobor who's grandparents Tolstoy sent to Canada. They were killing us majorly because we put all our guns in three big piles and burnt them. Then they sent in cossaks with whips and over four years killed 1000 out of 4000. So Tolstoy ran to his closet, pulled out a half finished book called Ressurection, finished it and with the money and Queen Victoria's agreement sent three boats full to Canada. We've been trying to get back ever since.
Tolstoy, before he met the Doukhobors was quite the regulare aristocrat living in Tula south of Moscow a hundred miles. He used to go to Penza with his young sons and kill wolves for fun. But after he met some Doukhobor peasants he got to thinking. After that he never wrote another "War and Peace" or "Anna Karina" about selfish rich aristocrats. He only wrote simple Christian peasant promoting books like Ressurection, What men live by, and Why men stupify themselves ect.
In his new reformed mode Tolstoy would't go to partys, or aristocratic events any more. When he had to go to Moscow to publish his books he took to walking all the way instead of hores carriage. He began to learn to make bast shoes with out using leather. He would get up in the morning on some days and spend the day carrying water, cutting wood and simple peasant tasks. He really saw the light I think.
But Tolstoy was from a very rich aritocratic family. His wife didn't want to give up the luxury of the rich. So they lived together but apart. Just before he died he jumped a train with his youngest daughter and headed south to join the Douckhobors but died in a train station on the way. Just last year Putin invited some of the Doukhobors to return from the wet mountains of Georgia where they had burnt their guns earlier to return to their homeland in Tambov.(300 miles south of Moscow. It's because the doukhobors believe only in being farmers and self-suficient. But of course that the original belief and today the young try to get into the money game as most others. Thats a quick lowdown. I've been studying this stuff and living with the few radicles that are left in a primitve anachist village in BC Canada. I'm in town with electricity now for a few months and I'm out of here. This modern worlds for the dogs. cheers dan b