• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was this why the IRS didn't release Trump's tax returns?

Friend of Mara

That may be true (about the money the chief makes) - but releasing the IRS of ANYBODY is more than just release when someone asks. There are a multiplicity of regulations to keep the privacy of citizens.

If he did release it, then obviously the hoops were overcome.
At one point it was part of public record. It was I believe until 1976. It was enacted because Richard Nixon used it to enact audits on political enemies.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Turns out that the head of the IRS has a pecuniary interest in the value of the Trump brand:

IRS Chief Makes More Than $100,000 Per Year Off Trump Property, Documents Show

Was this why he refused to comply when Trump's tax returns were subpoenaed? I guess time will tell.

At the very least, it seems ethically dubious for Rettig not to have declared a conflict of interest and stayed out of this matter.
IF he's still President they will make it disappear. Rich cover for the rich, except Trump, he covers for himself, sacking those who don't cover for him

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I think, imo, because it is politically motivated. For an example:

Someone Leaked 10 Years Of Trump’s Tax Info To The New York Times

So, already leaked (without proper authorization) 10 years of tax information that was suppose to be private and used for strictly political reasons... a weapon.

How many private citizens would be upset if the IRS began using private information as a weapon? The law says it is private unless there is foul play... if 10 years has already been leaked... what more is there needed?

We know he already is giving all of his salary back to the government.. what reason is there for more tax info?

I always go back to "whatever liberty you give away, you never can get it back". I am more worried about what that means for the average person (precedent) than what Trump did with his money (since no evil has been unearthed).

Now, if we had seen he was a tax crook, then we have legal recourse to ask for tax information. At this point, all we see is that he uses legal loopholes (that both parties use and were created by) - just like we use every legal loophole that people can use.
Can't argue a bit about your reasoning about lawful privacy or loopholes.

But I can still say this is a man with no scruples who is supposed to have some moral character as the leader of Americanistan. The problem is not Trump at this point in time. We have willfully given up our democracy by being complacent and also kept too busy by the failing system to participate in stopping the erosion. We have chosen beliefs of all kinds over facts, equality and reasoning.

Trump is but a symptom of the system we now live under. Rhetoric rules, greed and corruption are at the helm. The only thing different with Trump is how obvious he has made that.

No other "president" has shown how bad we have become in our style of leadership, social and financial/economic systems. I don't think Biden is a dream by any means and he likes money just as much as the rest, but we need a leader who is at least willing to be concerned for all people in this country and the world as well as the environment. Trump is not that person.

The entire system needs an overhaul including all of the people making our policies in Congress. It's a big fat mess all around. It's going to take everyone who can to try to help.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Got it. So you’re against the legal system. Would you say the same thing if the case involved a minority transgender person terminated from employment due to gender non-conformity?
That comment drove off the rhetorical cliff. I'm in favor of stopping abuses of the system. I'm in favor of a legal system which treats the indigent minority transgender person the same as someone with enough money to abuse the system and avoid justice.

That comment drove off the rhetorical cliff. I'm in favor of stopping abuses of the system. I'm in favor of a legal system which treats the indigent minority transgender person the same as someone with enough money to abuse the system and avoid justice.
I think Watchmen’s comment drove off the rhetorical cliff, hit every rock on the way down and exploded.

Let’s review: every candidate since Nixon voluntarily made their tax returns public. Why? Because America First, that’s why. Trump lied about releasing them and lied about the reasons - at one point, he even suggested the IRS audits him because he’s such a strong Christian! No really - he said that. It’s easy to forget since that was 20,000 lies ago. Wow, he must really think his supporters are suckers.

Now we know Trump is either a tax cheat, or not such a savvy businessman, or both.

Now we also know Trump appointed the head of the IRS, who didn’t disclose he makes $100k from Trump branded properties, and who told Congress he has discretion and refuses to comply with their subpoenas to make the returns public.

All of that ... and Watchmen’s main contribution is ... “nothing to see here, folks, except the legal system at work. You aren’t against the legal system, are you?”

Incredible.

By the way this will be yet another addition to my “if Obama did it” file.

“I predict there are more bombshells in his tax returns. ... I predict he will never ever release his tax return. Never. Not a year from now, not ever. Not the ones that are under audit, not the ones from years ago that are no longer under audit. He has too much to hide. ... If I’m right, you’ll have all the proof you need to know that Donald Trump is a phony. ... It’s entirely in his power to prove me wrong. All he has to do is release his back taxes like he promised he would.”

- Mitt Romney in March 2016

Boy, was he right.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Its still not a law for a president to release personal tax information to the public.
It is a law that anyone must comply with a legal subpoena.

Are you under the impression that the Democrats are asking for Trump's tax returns simply because Trump promised to follow the custom of presidents releasing their tax returns?

That's not the case. The reason the Democrats are trying to get them is because every indication suggests that they're evidence of crimes committed by Trump.

It is a law that anyone must comply with a legal subpoena.

Are you under the impression that the Democrats are asking for Trump's tax returns simply because Trump promised to follow the custom of presidents releasing their tax returns?

That's not the case. The reason the Democrats are trying to get them is because every indication suggests that they're evidence of crimes committed by Trump.
But Penguin, how can we have checks and balances if Congress is free to just investigate the executive? Sounds like the beginning of a coup. You know that old saying ... “First they came for the President’s tax returns ... then they came for the Jews”. Kudos to Donald for standing up for our democracy and refusing to cooperate with this power grab.

When it comes to the President’s tax returns, I say there are some things we don’t want to know. Important things!

Watchmen

Premium Member
What does “abuse the system” mean?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What does “abuse the system” mean?
abuse of process

abuse of process
n. the use of legal process by illegal, malicious, or perverted means. Examples include serving (officially giving) a complaint to someone when it has not actually been filed, just to intimidate an enemy, filing a false declaration of service (filing a paper untruthfully stating a lie that someone has officially given a notice to another person, filing a lawsuit which has no basis at law, but is intended to get information, force payment through fear of legal entanglement or gain an unfair or illegal advantage.

Watchmen

Premium Member
abuse of process

abuse of process
n. the use of legal process by illegal, malicious, or perverted means. Examples include serving (officially giving) a complaint to someone when it has not actually been filed, just to intimidate an enemy, filing a false declaration of service (filing a paper untruthfully stating a lie that someone has officially given a notice to another person, filing a lawsuit which has no basis at law, but is intended to get information, force payment through fear of legal entanglement or gain an unfair or illegal advantage.
Very good. Now how does that apply to any legal battles Trump has been in?

Shaul

Premium Member
Here’s an idea. Let’s replace the income tax with a consumption based tax, such as a VAT. The current U.S. Income tax system is corrupt.

Got it. So you’re against the legal system. Would you say the same thing if the case involved a minority transgender person terminated from employment due to gender non-conformity?
Watchmen, I have a serious question for you. I see that your only / main contribution to this thread has to do with defending our “legal system” and pointing out that people have a right to privacy. Hard to argue with either of those sentiments, certainly. Come to think of it, I’m a fan of free speech, women’s suffrage and July 4th barbecues, too.

Acknowledging those points, here is my question: did you read the article in the OP?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yep.

Am I not permitted to respond to a specific post, Officer Sprinkles?

Watchmen, I have a serious question for you. I see that your only / main contribution to this thread has to do with defending our “legal system” and pointing out that people have a right to privacy. Hard to argue with either of those sentiments, certainly. Come to think of it, I’m a fan of free speech, women’s suffrage and July 4th barbecues, too.

Acknowledging those points, here is my question: did you read the article in the OP?