• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was this a sign from God?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
If someone had the power to look out for you, wouldn't it make sense that they would have the power to...
  1. prevent the events from taking place to begin with?
  2. look out for you again?

freewill I guess. I was doing wrong both times but my life was spared and my friends. I suppose God could look out for me again but the odds tell me not to tempt God.

A Vestigial Mote

I find it odd when I read/hear what someone considers a "sign" and it ends up being that they had a moment of clarity in what was otherwise a situation in which they were blatantly putting themselves in harms way. Like riding on the roof of an automobile.

Others are rather mundane - and seem very "small time" for an all powerful deity. Just because they happened to "you", personally, does not make them objectively important... especially not if nothing really came from the encounter.

And all of them have one very specific detail in common - the causes/effects during the process are all invisible. You can't know who/what put the fish emblem in the road, you can't know how the cancer dissolved, you can't know what circumstance or physical reality saved your life during the car crash that "should have" been fatal, you can't know the mechanisms or processes going on inside your body while it is fighting to regain "normal" operation. Invisible, unknowable, guesswork. Claiming God had a special plan for you, specifically, seems to cheapen the memory of all those people for whom the cancer doesn't simply vanish... for whom the "should have been fatal" was instead "fatal." For every success story there are dozens of not-so-success stories... did those people, instead, deserve their fates in God's eyes, but you are somehow different? I simply can't think that way. I refuse.

syo

I believe both in signs and in miracles. it looks like a sign. if this happened to me, I'd go to church to pray to god.

Muffled

Jesus in me
A strange thing happened the other day which made me believe was a sign from God. I was hanging around the house most of the day working on some projects. Occasionally I'd look out the window across the street to the school grounds playing fields to see what was going on. I noticed a young girl sitting on the ground at the foot of the bleachers. She had been there most of the day. I thought, how can anyone sit there all day like that, she must be homeless and has no place to go. After a while I was thoroughly convinced she was homeless and felt I should do something. I thought about what I could do to help her, and decided. I have $200 in my wallet and don't need it that much, I'll give her $200, then chiseled it down to $100, maybe more. So I walked over and asked if she was lost or something. She said she wasn't lost Relieved, I said ok and started to walk back. On the way back I noticed an emblem lying on the curb of the street. It was one of those Christian fish emblems. I'd never seen any Christian emblems lying around before. So what are the odds there would be one sitting there at the time I did something "Christian" and then for me to walk right over it after completing my "Christian" task. I took it as a sign that I had done ok.

I believe that qualifies as coincidence and most likely not a sign. You don't really need one to know your heart was in the right place, do you?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Perhaps it meant you were supposed to have fish for dinner. I hope you did, as the consequences of not doing so could be dire!

I'd like to commend you for your selfless gesture, but I am compelled to say that giving to those in need isn't just a "Christian" concept.

Oh really? I believe you should share what other source there is. It wouldn't surprise me. God has been around longer than Christianity.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What a great story! An excellent example of how mythos from our religious traditions weaves meaningfulness and purpose into our lives. Whether or not it is "really" a sign from your god doesn't much matter - the inspiration you derived from it is real. Follow that current! :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
OKAY. HOLD ON A SEC WHILE I TURN THE MUSIC DOWN SO WE DON'T HAVE TO YELL...

...Okay, that's better.
So help me to understand, if God was really looking out for you and had your best interests in mind, why did He...

...allow you to be in the car accident to begin with?

...allow you to be blinded to begin with?

...allow you to be paralyzed to begin with?

I'm doing my best to understand why people said it was an act of God that saved them from a horrible tragedy. I would assume, if God has the power to save these people, why he doesn't simply prevent the event that led to the tragedy to from happening to begin with.
Job

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
A strange thing happened the other day which made me believe was a sign from God. I was hanging around the house most of the day working on some projects. Occasionally I'd look out the window across the street to the school grounds playing fields to see what was going on. I noticed a young girl sitting on the ground at the foot of the bleachers. She had been there most of the day. I thought, how can anyone sit there all day like that, she must be homeless and has no place to go. After a while I was thoroughly convinced she was homeless and felt I should do something. I thought about what I could do to help her, and decided. I have $200 in my wallet and don't need it that much, I'll give her $200, then chiseled it down to $100, maybe more. So I walked over and asked if she was lost or something. She said she wasn't lost Relieved, I said ok and started to walk back. On the way back I noticed an emblem lying on the curb of the street. It was one of those Christian fish emblems. I'd never seen any Christian emblems lying around before. So what are the odds there would be one sitting there at the time I did something "Christian" and then for me to walk right over it after completing my "Christian" task. I took it as a sign that I had done ok.

Jews look for signs and wonders, Gentiles for wisdom, Christians read the Bible.

Go with #3.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I don't know, I think it's the thought that counts. That I was ready and willing to help if necessary. I know the scripture says " A person who sees the good he ought to do and does it not sins". So since I believed she might be homeless I was required to do something, then finding out she wasn't I was free from that requirement.
talking to her dad on the phone does not mean that she was not homeless, nor does it mean that she was safe or otherwise in a good spot--who knows what her issue was: abuse, runaway, drugs or other substance abuse, just learned mom and dad were getting a divorce, just had a fight with mom or dad...the list of possibilities is very long--but clearly she wasn't in class, where she was supposed to be, and she may have needed money to help her out...

Just some thoughts for consideration...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know, I think it's the thought that counts. That I was ready and willing to help if necessary. I know the scripture says " A person who sees the good he ought to do and does it not sins". So since I believed she might be homeless I was required to do something, then finding out she wasn't I was free from that requirement.

It could be. I wouldn't say you're wrong. If I had my take in your point of view, I'd say it was a requirement-the request-but whether it was a girl, an animal, or a fig tree would be besides the point. So, I wouldn't say you're free from the requirement of god asking you to give something to someone at a disadvantage. Probably instead of giving money, find another way to honor god's request. That's how I would interpret it.

But the request is between you and god; so, do what's best. It's good the girl wasn't homeless.. did you find out why the girl was siting alone?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
talking to her dad on the phone does not mean that she was not homeless, nor does it mean that she was safe or otherwise in a good spot--who knows what her issue was: abuse, runaway, drugs or other substance abuse, just learned mom and dad were getting a divorce, just had a fight with mom or dad...the list of possibilities is very long--but clearly she wasn't in class, where she was supposed to be, and she may have needed money to help her out...

Just some thoughts for consideration...

It was the weekend. She had a clear plastic guitar lying on the bleachers, the case lying next to it. It was like a childs guitar. The girl was maybe 15 and seemed sort of carefree, not scared or worried about anything. It was almost like she was living out some kind of hippie fantasy. Sitting in the park with a guitar.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It could be. I wouldn't say you're wrong. If I had my take in your point of view, I'd say it was a requirement-the request-but whether it was a girl, an animal, or a fig tree would be besides the point. So, I wouldn't say you're free from the requirement of god asking you to give something to someone at a disadvantage. Probably instead of giving money, find another way to honor god's request. That's how I would interpret it.

But the request is between you and god; so, do what's best. It's good the girl wasn't homeless.. did you find out why the girl was siting alone?

No, the only clue was she had a clear plastic guitar, like a childs guitar, lying on the bleachers next to a hippie style guitar case. The girl was about 13-15.