• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the apostle Paul sexist?

njcl

Prima said:
That might be all you think you need to know, but if you want a good relationship, you need to learn a little more! You should write to Dear Abby...

So, do all men need to speak in tongues to be true Christians, or just women?

its all i need to know for the present,well a gift from the holy spirit such as the speaking in tongues is the seal of a true apostle of christ otherwise they are known as babes in christ having not had the holy spirit enter them,yes sunshine{sp] its true the women in my town are usally of one type or another but mostly non christian

Prima

And if they were pretending to speak in tongues? or if they spoke in tongues, but not around you, and did not brag about it (like the bible decrees)? What then? And if they have the Holy Spirit, but you're too sexist to see it?

njcl

tis not my fault that societies males love their partners more than god,confering on them inordinate affection thereby perverting the rule ofgod which decrees women were made for the men not the other way around

Prima

Your stereotypical statements have absolutely no basis in fact and are beginning to become irritating. Repeating the same thing over and over again does not make it any more true. Do you have any proof besides your own inadequate relationships? Any statistics, resources, documentation? Anything that's not biased and is approached from a scientific instead of sexist standpoint?

Pah

Uber all member
njcl said:
its all i need to know for the present,well a gift from the holy spirit such as the speaking in tongues is the seal of a true apostle of christ otherwise they are known as babes in christ having not had the holy spirit enter them,yes sunshine{sp] its true the women in my town are usally of one type or another but mostly non christian
your assuming paul was sexist because of your own slant on whats sexist or not,yet i think his conduct was not sexist,women are like children,they need looking after,thats my assumption after many liasons with them
njcl said:
tis not my fault that societies males love their partners more than god,confering on them inordinate affection thereby perverting the rule ofgod which decrees women were made for the men not the other way around
The first confirms (again, I think) your arrogance ("a true apostle of christ" {sic}); the second and third, your sexist chauvanism.

njcl

my inadequate relationships,pray are you privy to my personal life??....im not moving from my stance,you call it sexism i call it the truth also ill wager i hold more love and respect for the women in my life than so called enlightened males of society

Pah

Uber all member
njcl said:
my inadequate relationships,pray are you privy to my personal life??....im not moving from my stance,you call it sexism i call it the truth also ill wager i hold more love and respect for the women in my life than so called enlightened males of society
They are precisely inadequate when they are not based on equality. Patting a woman on the head, being consecending and unable to understand society rarely are good qualities.

njcl

from your last but 1 post,what is so arrogant about claiming to be a true apostle of christ?.if its the truth then how is it arrogant?..do you wish me not to bear witness to the truth?....

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
"It's not my fault"
I bet you find yourself saying that a lot, don't you?

Blame shifting is the basis of this sexist bigotry.

Adam started it all when he blamed both Eve and God for his sin: "It was the woman you gave me, Lord!"

Lloyd

njcl said:
I'm a little rusty on the scholarship but here goes..

Adam is the Hebrew word for human. It's much like the generic form of man in English. The person Adam doesn't become gendered until after the creation of Eve. Dominance of men over women doesn't come until after the Fall. And that's just a very superficial interpretatioin of the story. When Jewish interpretation methods of the time are applied the meaning goes FAR deeper than that.

Getting the meaning out of early Old Testament stuff like the creation story requires a pretty solid grasp of the language of culture from which it rose. These texts were written for people well educated in a particular school of interpretation. They're not intended to be read by just anybody.

I don't want you to think that I'm saying stop reading the early Old Testament. I just think it's important to read some solid scholarly work on it as well.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Wow........what a frustrating thread. :(

DakotaGypsy, if he was a homosexual (not saying he is), how would that be relevent to his being sexist? :confused:

Peace,
Mystic

gnostic

The Lost One
I think you got to put in the proper perspective of the time.

If you look at Paul from the perspective of today, then yes, Paul was indeed a sexist, but no more so than any Jews, Christians or Muslims in their times.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam is not just a monothesitic religions; they are also patriarchy in structure. True equality in sex doesn't exist in those days; and perhaps not even in today.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Paul may have been a sexist, but so what? He wasn't perfect and if you look at it in context, he also was a Jew before he became a Christian and there were many traditions and things that he had done that he kept in his life.

My big question is: SO WHAT?

Jerrell

If you look at the Greek Meaning of What Paul was talking about. He was NOt Sexist. It is tauhgt by God that the Man is the Head of the WOman. Was not man formed first? And Woman LAter? This does not however imply that men are to demean women or treat them as lesser.

In the Letter to Timothy When Paul states a Woman is not to teach, what is he tlaking about? Look into the Greek, He actually means a wife. A Wife is not to teach the husband, in Chrisnity, God called men to teach Chrisnity, why? Becuase they were created First and woman later. Now does this Mean Women can't teach in the Church? NO, Paul stated [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica] in 1 Timothy 2:3-4 that the aged women teach Younger women. Women can be teachers, but not Ministers, not pastors. A Woman is a powerful creatue, she influences her Husband, and can be a great message giver. Just as Mary was first to see Jesus and delieverd the new so can they do so today. Give the news, Dont claim Male Offices.[/FONT]

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Jerrell said:
If you look at the Greek Meaning of What Paul was talking about. He was NOt Sexist. It is tauhgt by God that the Man is the Head of the WOman. Was not man formed first? And Woman LAter? This does not however imply that men are to demean women or treat them as lesser.

In the Letter to Timothy When Paul states a Woman is not to teach, what is he tlaking about? Look into the Greek, He actually means a wife. A Wife is not to teach the husband, in Chrisnity, God called men to teach Chrisnity, why? Becuase they were created First and woman later. Now does this Mean Women can't teach in the Church? NO, Paul stated [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica] in 1 Timothy 2:3-4 that the aged women teach Younger women. Women can be teachers, but not Ministers, not pastors. A Woman is a powerful creatue, she influences her Husband, and can be a great message giver. Just as Mary was first to see Jesus and delieverd the new so can they do so today. Give the news, Dont claim Male Offices.[/FONT]

I think he took a wrong toin at Albuquoique...

That may be your opinion, but it's certainly not the only way to interpret Paul, nor do I think it's the best way to interpret Paul. Conservatives are always trying to find ways to keep women out of the ministry, based on ancient, Middle-East cultural ideas that we do not subscribe to in this country in the 21st century. Most protestant denominations and some apostolic traditions do not take such a literalistic stance, and, consequently, their communities have been enriched.

gnostic

The Lost One
Jerrell said:
In the Letter to Timothy When Paul states a Woman is not to teach, what is he tlaking about? Look into the Greek, He actually means a wife. A Wife is not to teach the husband, in Chrisnity, God called men to teach Chrisnity, why? Becuase they were created First and woman later.
Now, that the silliest thing I have ever heard.

Tell me, Jerrell. Did Jesus ever said that women can't preach on his behalf? No. Did Jesus place any such restriction upon women? No.

I am afraid, Paul is not the best authority to teach the gospels, despite have converted under extraordinary circumstance. He was largely responsible for persecuting Christians before his conversion, and he still had a largely patriarchic mentality (despite his sympathy to the Gentiles), which was probably why many Christian women turn away from his orthodoxy, and flocked to Gnosticism in the following century. He was the first who had started this Original Sin model, and women, like Eve, was cause of all mankind's problem.

Did Jesus blamed the Original Sin on Eve and women in general? No, that was Paul's doing (and that of his followers).