• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the apostle Paul onto something...

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
... when he said it was better to be single?
1 Corinthians 7:8
From my experience, relationships are distracting. So, if you're trying to serve a god fervently, it would seem a relationship would distract from that.
A true healthy relationship is one where the two individuals empower each other. Perhaps this is something the Apostle Paul nor I am capable of doing, so it seems to us that in that it is better to stay single.
I’ve been in 2 relationships, both serious ones. They have distracted me from my pursuit of knowledge and my quest to serve god. They just take up so much time and energy. I’m still living with an ex, and though I’m on good terms and it is pleasant, it still distracts me. Like, I got no room to make a shrine, and I just have less time for myself. Sometime this year or next my living situation will change and I’ll be on my own. Looking forward to that, because I’ve been in that situation before, and that’s when I’ve been able to fully commit myself to religious pursuits.
So, have you found that being single is good for religious pursuits? Or do you think perhaps that apostle Paul just never found the right one?

exchemist

Veteran Member
... when he said it was better to be single?
1 Corinthians 7:8
From my experience, relationships are distracting. So, if you're trying to serve a god fervently, it would seem a relationship would distract from that.
A true healthy relationship is one where the two individuals empower each other. Perhaps this is something the Apostle Paul nor I am capable of doing, so it seems to us that in that it is better to stay single.
I’ve been in 2 relationships, both serious ones. They have distracted me from my pursuit of knowledge and my quest to serve god. They just take up so much time and energy. I’m still living with an ex, and though I’m on good terms and it is pleasant, it still distracts me. Like, I got no room to make a shrine, and I just have less time for myself. Sometime this year or next my living situation will change and I’ll be on my own. Looking forward to that, because I’ve been in that situation before, and that’s when I’ve been able to fully commit myself to religious pursuits.
So, have you found that being single is good for religious pursuits? Or do you think perhaps that apostle Paul just never found the right one?
To be honest, I think St Paul has done a huge amount of damage. While it is recognised in Christianity that people choosing the religious life (priests, monks and nuns) may be better able to focus if they are single, it is not for everyone and can go badly wrong, as countless sex scandals involving the supposedly celibate have shown. St Paul seems to rather dismiss the virtue of sexual relationships, which for a lot of people are the most intense form of selfless love they ever experience. Devotion to another person is a noble calling. I feel sure it serves God just as well as the monk praying in his cell.