• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Sathya Sai Baba a fraud?

ronki23

Sathya Sai Baba has been accused of sexual abuse and his so-called miracles are nothing but magic tricks. He was also protected by the Congress of India

However, he still had 30 million+ followers, the Alaya Rahm case was dismissed, and has opened up hospitals,clinics, ashrams, schools.

What is your view?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I was always a little wary of Sathya Sai Baba, though I come from a household who worshiped him.
I was personally always more comfortable with Shirdi Sai.
But generally speaking, I think people can worship whomever they please.

ronki23

I was always a little wary of Sathya Sai Baba, though I come from a household who worshiped him.
I was personally always more comfortable with Shirdi Sai.
But generally speaking, I think people can worship whomever they please.

I too prefer Shiri Sai Baba

Do you think Sathya Sai Baba is guilty of sexual abuse? The miracles are magic tricks

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For what my opinion is worth, I'm wary and leery of anyone who self-proclaims or advertises their supernatural or spiritual abilities.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Sathya Sai Baba has been accused of sexual abuse and his so-called miracles are nothing but magic tricks. He was also protected by the Congress of India

However, he still had 30 million+ followers, the Alaya Rahm case was dismissed, and has opened up hospitals,clinics, ashrams, schools.

What is your view?
My view, and I will say Satya Sai Baba is a pet subject of mine, is that the sexual allegations have fallen on their face and were perpetrated by a group of angry western ex-devotees.

I am certain of his true miraculous abilities. The western researcher that has studied this the most is Dr. Erlendur Haraldsson. I have read that book and the evidence is startling.

I think Shirdi Sai Baba engenders more respect from many people because Satya Sai Baba worked during the age of modern media and the internet. Any huge religious figure today will be e-crucified. Only those who are willing to do study below the surface can ascertain the facts.

In an official letter made public in December 2001, Atal Bihari Vajpayee (then Prime Minister of India and a devotee of Sathya Sai Baba),[88] P.N. Bhagwati (Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India), Ranganath Misra (Chair Person, National Human Rights Commissioner of India and Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India), Najma Heptulla (President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union; UNDP Distinguished Human Development Ambassador) and Shivraj Patil (Member of Parliament, India; Formerly of the Lok Sabha & Union Minister) all signed the following statement:

We are deeply pained and anguished by the wild, reckless and concocted allegations made by certain vested interests and people against Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. We would normally expect that responsible media would ascertain the true facts before printing such a calumny – especially when the person is revered globally as an embodiment of love and selfless service to humanity.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Of course he was. He didn't even get the preduction of his own death right. Just another sociopathic cult leader fleecing the sheep.

ronki23

My view, and I will say Satya Sai Baba is a pet subject of mine, is that the sexual allegations have fallen on their face and were perpetrated by a group of angry western ex-devotees.

I am certain of his true miraculous abilities. The western researcher that has studied this the most is Dr. Erlendur Haraldsson. I have read that book and the evidence is startling.

I think Shirdi Sai Baba engenders more respect from many people because Satya Sai Baba worked during the age of modern media and the internet. Any huge religious figure today will be e-crucified. Only those who are willing to do study below the surface can ascertain the facts.

In an official letter made public in December 2001, Atal Bihari Vajpayee (then Prime Minister of India and a devotee of Sathya Sai Baba),[88] P.N. Bhagwati (Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India), Ranganath Misra (Chair Person, National Human Rights Commissioner of India and Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India), Najma Heptulla (President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union; UNDP Distinguished Human Development Ambassador) and Shivraj Patil (Member of Parliament, India; Formerly of the Lok Sabha & Union Minister) all signed the following statement:

We are deeply pained and anguished by the wild, reckless and concocted allegations made by certain vested interests and people against Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. We would normally expect that responsible media would ascertain the true facts before printing such a calumny – especially when the person is revered globally as an embodiment of love and selfless service to humanity.

People say those were just magic tricks and sleight of hand

George-ananda

Premium Member
People say those were just magic tricks and sleight of hand
And plenty more people (the ones who have been closest) say they are real. I am certain they are real. Just one example is that a sleight of hand guy would not let the subject choose what they want materialized as people report again and again. By far the most thorough study by a western scientists was done by Dr. Erlender Haraldsson. Haraldsson had to dismiss the sleight of hand hypothesis upon thorough analysis.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Of course he was. He didn't even get the preduction of his own death right. Just another sociopathic cult leader fleecing the sheep.
The is a special subject of mind that I have studied now in earnest for two decades. How much do you claim to really know about this subject beyond the few internet haters?

Post #7 says it best.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think he's little magic trick show was to draw people to him, he did say a lot of good stuff, so without his tricks he would probably have less people listening to the truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've been around Sai people for a very long time now. I'm not a Sai devotee by any means, and have drawn my own private conclusions on the matter. But one observation sticks with me. The extremes on both ends of the debate are so focused on the debate that any teachings become secondary. It becomes an unhealthy fixation, an addiction. The really ardent Sai folks are so busy singing the praise they don't have time to follow the teachings. The ardent detractors are so upset about it they can't seem to find happiness or contentment anywhere. The people in the middle just go about following dharma as best they can without the emotional attachments of pro and anti getting in the way.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't that always the way? Not seeing the forest for the trees.

Kelly of the Phoenix

A friend of mine on FB worships him. The quotes seem nice enough.

As to whether miracles are real, I will take the 'politician's route' (that it will be worded to suggest different interpretations) and suggest that I believe in any guru's abilities as much as I do the prophets and teachers in my own tradition.