• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Satan in Eden?

linwood

I just recieved some info from a friend for a little article I`ve been thinking about.

It`s about when and where Satan is mentioned in the Bible.

This info shows that Satan is never mentioned in the story of original sin.

I`m going to go through the data I recieved to doubled check it so I don`t end up looking like an idiot if this info is wrong but I thought some of y`all might be able to make my job easier and point me to some verse that could debunk this data.

It claims the word Satan isn`t even in all of Genesis.

This info says the word Satan in any and all original Biblical languages appears in the Bible only 77 times in 70 verses depending on context since the Hebrew word for Satan and Adversary are the same.

None in Genesis.

Any help here?

I don`t want to post his work without permission so I can`t show it to you until I get it.

Lightkeeper

I checked some of my concordances and Satan only appears in Job and Zec. It mostly appears in the New Testament. Some people believe that the serpent in the Garden of Eden was Satan. However, Satan isn't mentioned in Genesis.

Ceridwen018

That's very interesting....one of those things that you don't really notice--you just listen to what other people tell you. The snake obviously stands for evil, though. Perhaps it's possible that Genesis and the rest of the Pentateuch were by other authers, who perhaps used different words and symbols for Satan....

Scott1

It claims the word Satan isn`t even in all of Genesis.
How about:

1 Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Jn 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Just a thought.........

Scott

linwood

Thanks Scott those do refer to the beginning but they give no hint that the Devil was the serpent.

Has Satan been a serpent anywhere else in the book?

I know he`s been a dragon but has he been a snake?

Ceridwen018

And also, Scott, those passages from John were written way after Genesis. Who says the writer of John didn't misinterpret Genesis himself? Oh, right--the bible is divinely inspired...I forgot ;)

linwood

Perhaps it's possible that Genesis and the rest of the Pentateuch were by other authers, who perhaps used different words and symbols for Satan....

Yeah..I thought of tha but this guys work is laid out in a word.doc and it shows the Hebrew, and greek words for Satan, Snake, and the different intents each word might have in it`s original language depending on usage.

They seem to have been used pretty consistently across the board regarding whether they were specifically speaking of a snake satan or adversary.

It`s really pretty cool.

I e-mailed him and asked if I could post it.

I will if he allows it.

My weakness here is I don`t read Hebrew or Greek.

:)

linwood

Mister Emu said:
You do know, alot of cultures beleive dragons to be a type of serpent.

Yes I know thats why I mentioned it.

I have to find the Hebrew and Greek words for dragon to check it out for content just to cover all the bases.

Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made (Genesis 3 : 1). He was a wild animal like the lion, bird or fish.

There must have been gaps in peoples understanding of what Moses was trying to say through his writings so maybe the gaps were filled in with explainations and myth... we all need someone to blame now don't we. I believe Moses' truest teachings in Genesis 1 - 4 to be very psychological as previous posts of mine on this site explain. Unlike many who try to make religion as complex and unexplainable as possible, I will share what I learn about the serpent when I feel I truly understand it.

This is a little off from the "holy cow" doctrines of Satan! The snake is in the flesh mind of Eve and Adam! Just a little snake that has become over 6000 years of history a very large Dragon! Think about it! How many people are on the earth?? The mind of man is a very distinct demension! Carl Jung called it the collective conscousness.Other groups call Adam the "Corprate Man". A universal mind in the earth! There is another mind in the earth, the "Mind Of Christ" "Let this mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus"
What a great "advesary"! "You are of your father the devil" Yeshua told the Pharisees.
Spirits can't reproduce!! The devil is Adam!! The evil fallen mind set of man is what we all deal with everyday! Yes Satan,Advesary was in the garden! Do you all see Christ in the mirror? Or do you see the Devil??
Peace

linwood

What a great "advesary"! "You are of your father the devil" Yeshua told the Pharisees.
Spirits can't reproduce!! The devil is Adam!! The evil fallen mind set of man is what we all deal with everyday! Yes Satan,Advesary was in the garden! Do you all see Christ in the mirror? Or do you see the Devil??

See Mr. Emu I told you scripture could be used to show Satan wrote the Bible.

simguy83

God speaks to the serpent in Genesis and that is where the Gospel is first mentioned.

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring [1] and hers; he will crush [2] your head, and you will strike his heel."

This is exactly what happened. The nail bruised Jesus's heel and he when he paid the fine of sin Satan was literally crushed.

I do believe that the serpent was Satan and I believe that this point is illustrated by these few verses.

linwood

I do believe that the serpent was Satan and I believe that this point is illustrated by these few verses.

I fail to see any relation or implication towards satan whatsoever.

In fact in my recent studies it wasn`t until the NT that satan really became a name associated with "evil".

linwood said:
Thanks Scott those do refer to the beginning but they give no hint that the Devil was the serpent.

Has Satan been a serpent anywhere else in the book?

I know he`s been a dragon but has he been a snake?
I believe that the idea that Satan was the serpent came from this verse in the bible.

[Re 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.]

I personally believe that Genesis is loaded with myths and stories copied from earlier cultures and traditions.

This following verse is the first entry of the name Satan in the Old Testament.

[1Ch 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.]

linwood

[Re 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.]

Yes but it still makes no connection to Eden and you can`t simply relate every snake ever mentioned in the Bible to be Satan.

I personally believe that Genesis is loaded with myths and stories copied from earlier cultures and traditions.

You`ll get no argument here.

[1Ch 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.]

This is where alot of the misconception seems to come from.

The word "Satan" in Hebrew literally translates into "The Adversary".

The term "Satan" was used at times to describe those who were doing Gods will and at other times to describe those who stood in Gods way.

It`s not clear that this "Adversary" is one single entity with one single intention.

starofjacob

Definantly an interesting topic. I don't believe the serpant was Satan, although he seemed to work as an agent of satan.

Its also interesting that Christ on the cross is a type of 'the serpant on the rod' that Moses lifted up. So although we don't have a reference for Satan being a serpant, we do have a close relation between Christ and the Serpant. Although I don't believe that Jesus was the serpant in the Genesis, I don't think that we truly know who that little TALKING serpant was. Haha. Funny that christians don't have a problem with a talking serpant, and neither did Eve or Adam. WAS IT A SNAKE??? more to come

Keeping it real