• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Peter the First Pope?

Was Peter the First Pope?

• Yes

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Who cares?!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (I'll post my response)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Are you saying the Catholic Church has never made a mistake?
Be more specific please....
If you mean mistakes in doctrinal teachings then that is exactly what we are saying. This is the same leap of faith that you may use to say that the Bible has no errors.

~Victor

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Not even the Churches in the NT were considered "infallible". It is impressive that the Catholic Church has surpassed even the church in Jerusalem. :D

Quiddity

NetDoc said:
Not even the Churches in the NT were considered "infallible". It is impressive that the Catholic Church has surpassed even the church in Jerusalem. :D
You are right they didn't. Not even in the Catholic Church today this is true. ;)

ND, individual churches in the Catholic Church are not infallible. Individual deacons, priests, bishops (aside from the Pope) are also not infallible. The only formula that works to get an infallible proclaimation is by:

1. The Bishops in union (Council)
2. The successor of Peter (Pope) speaks ex-cathedra

~Victor

Scott1

NetDoc said:
Joking aside ND.... I'm still confused as to why you can't let this go....

• You quote me Scriptures to show my "errors".... but don't believe them to be infallible, so you could be wrong.
  • You hope to restore the Church of the Bible.... but that could be wrong as well.
  • You are quite certain that Peter was not the first Pope..... but you base this on Scripture that might be wrong.
  • You base your entire belief system on a book that you admit is not immune from teaching error.
.... and yet you look down upon us for trusting God to guard us against error?

:confused:

Quiddity

Scott, I would give you frubals if I knew how and if I knew what they were for...:biglaugh:
Well said..

~Victor

dan

Victor said:
Be more specific please....
If you mean mistakes in doctrinal teachings then that is exactly what we are saying. This is the same leap of faith that you may use to say that the Bible has no errors.

~Victor

I never said the Bible had no errors. I know for a fact that it has errors.

Scott1

chuck010342 said:
what do you mean? There is no evidence in the scriptures for Peter being the first pope of Rome.
chuck,

We have given Scriptural and historical evidence of why we believe in the primacy of Peter...

... instead of making post after post saying there is no evidence, why don't you provide evidence of your own?