• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Paul worthy to be an Apostle?

djhwoodwerks

The Watchtower teaches that there is no other name but Jehovah that is important. The only use for the name of Jesus is to get access to Jehovah. Jehovah's name is greater than the name of Jesus. But did the Apostle Paul believe that? Let's see,

Act 21:13 (NWT) 13 Then Paul answered: “What are you doing by weeping and trying to weaken my resolve?* Rest assured, I am ready not only to be bound but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”

Is that a blasphemous statement to JW's? Why would Paul be ready to die for the name of "Jesus" and not "Jehovah", if the name Jehovah is greater than Jesus?

They suffered for the name of "Jesus", not "Jehovah",

Act 5:40-41 (NWT) 40 At this they took his advice, and they summoned the apostles, flogged* them,+ and ordered them to stop speaking on the basis of Jesus’ name, and let them go. 41 So they went out from before the Sanʹhe·drin, rejoicing+ because they had been counted worthy to be dishonored in behalf of his name.

Act 9:15-16 (NWT) 15 But the Lord said to him: “Go! because this man is a chosen vessel to me+ to bear my name to the nations+ as well as to kings+ and the sons of Israel. 16 For I will show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Paul was a false apostle IMHO He even placed himself above Jesus in passages.

Please post one passage where Paul places himself above Jesus.

Have you ever read Acts of the Apostles 15 th chapter ?_______

First of all, Paul says that in showing honor take the lead at Romans 12:10 ?______
Didn't Paul remain humble according to 1 Corinthians 15:9-11 ?
Please consider how Paul handled a problem in Antioch:
The Christian congregation was split over circumcision - Acts of the Apostles 14:26 to 51:2
Paul was the one appointed to take the lead in the gentile nations.
Wasn't Paul well qualified to deal with the issue ? ______ Galatians 2:8-10
Rather with humility and modesty Paul went along with the arrangements of the body of elders in Jerusalem.
Paul co-operated fully with them when they assigned Paul to be one of their messengers - Act of the Apostles 15:22-31
Thus, Paul too the lead in showing honor to his fellow Christians - Romans 12:10

Later at Acts of the Apostles 18:3 we see Paul supporting his own ministry by making tents to support himself. - 1 Thessalonians 2:9; 2 Thessalonians 3:10

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I get the distinct impression that a couple of people on this board are somewhat obsessed with shooting down the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses......I can't imagine why? :shrug:

The OP is so far removed from anything we believe that it is just plain silly. First you create the strawman and then feel smug about killing him.

Jesus is the second highest personage in the universe. We honor him as "the son of God". But the 'name of Jehovah" as the "Most High over all the earth" is the one that saves us. (Joel 2:32; Romans 10:13; Psalm 83:18)
This means that Jesus is inferior to his Father, because all our prayers must go to the Father "through" the son.
We are never told to pray to anyone but to "Our Father in Heaven" in the name of Jesus Christ.

djhwoodwerks

I get the distinct impression that a couple of people on this board are somewhat obsessed with shooting down the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses......I can't imagine why? :shrug:

You could use your imagination, unless that is banned in the org like independent thinking is.

Jesus is the second highest personage in the universe. We honor him as "the son of God". But the 'name of Jehovah" as the "Most High over all the earth" is the one that saves us. (Joel 2:32; Romans 10:13; Psalm 83:18)

Maybe according to the WT the name Jehovah will save you, but not according to the Bible.

Act 4:8-12 (ESVST) 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, " Rulers of the people and elders, 9 if we are being examined today concerning a good deed done to a crippled man, by what means this man has been healed, 10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead — by him this man is standing before you well. 11 This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. 12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

Was Peter, "filled" with the Holy Spirit, wrong when he made those statements?

You referenced Rom 10:13 to imply it's Jehovah's name that will save, but what does the previous verses say?

Rom 10:9-13 (ESVST) 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, " Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For " everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Are we to confess Jesus as Lord and are saved, and then call on the name Jehovah to save us? Why in the world would you think that Paul said, if we confess Jesus as "Lord" we would be saved, and then in the same talk say if we call on Jehovah we would be saved? How does that make sense?

blue taylor

The Watchtower teaches that there is no other name but Jehovah that is important. The only use for the name of Jesus is to get access to Jehovah. Jehovah's name is greater than the name of Jesus. But did the Apostle Paul believe that? Let's see,

Act 21:13 (NWT) 13 Then Paul answered: “What are you doing by weeping and trying to weaken my resolve?* Rest assured, I am ready not only to be bound but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”

Is that a blasphemous statement to JW's? Why would Paul be ready to die for the name of "Jesus" and not "Jehovah", if the name Jehovah is greater than Jesus?

They suffered for the name of "Jesus", not "Jehovah",

Act 5:40-41 (NWT) 40 At this they took his advice, and they summoned the apostles, flogged* them,+ and ordered them to stop speaking on the basis of Jesus’ name, and let them go. 41 So they went out from before the Sanʹhe·drin, rejoicing+ because they had been counted worthy to be dishonored in behalf of his name.

Act 9:15-16 (NWT) 15 But the Lord said to him: “Go! because this man is a chosen vessel to me+ to bear my name to the nations+ as well as to kings+ and the sons of Israel. 16 For I will show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name.
We all recognize that you are an intelligent debater, and you have a great amount of knowledge about JW's. But could you for once explain to us what your current beliefs are instead of bashing JW's all the time. JW's aren't going to take over the world anytime soon. It is a well known fact that JW's have the lowest level of education of any Christian sect in America. See ----http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/religious-education.187073/. I don't believe that anyone with common sense and education would be receptive to the dogma of JW's. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. If you will, tell us your theology instead of bashing someone else's.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Blah, blah, blah.....What if its you guys who needs to see things anew? We have heard it all before.....we believe we have the truth and we back it up by who we really are, not by how we are portrayed by the liars on hate sites......so why do you keep on about it?
Who are you trying to convince really? :confused:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
We all recognize that you are an intelligent debater, and you have a great amount of knowledge about JW's. But could you for once explain to us what your current beliefs are instead of bashing JW's all the time. JW's aren't going to take over the world anytime soon. It is a well known fact that JW's have the lowest level of education of any Christian sect in America. See ----http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/religious-education.187073/. I don't believe that anyone with common sense and education would be receptive to the dogma of JW's. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. If you will, tell us your theology instead of bashing someone else's.

Did you know that Jesus' disciples were known for having little formal education too? Jesus deliberately chose uneducated ones...do you know why?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We do not know everything about the human mind. We do not know if there exists anything in common with the human psych. What if their message of doom is circulating in mankind's subconscious? What does the idea that tomorrow I will die unless I choose right do to a person's outlook, do you think?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Blah, blah, blah.....What if its you guys who needs to see things anew? We have heard it all before.....we believe we have the truth and we back it up by who we really are, not by how we are portrayed by the liars on hate sites......so why do you keep on about it?
I am trying to convince Jesus that I am on his side. You can't say that you are. It is obvious you are on the side of the faithful and discreet slave. The one who Jesus ASKED about.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I just has an idea! The master of the world is Satan. JWs believe this! Who really is faithful to his master and cautious never to be found out? His master is satan. Prove I am wrong.:mad:

kerndog

Did you know that Jesus' disciples were known for having little formal education too? Jesus deliberately chose uneducated ones...do you know why?
Valient effort Deeje, he hasnt a clue, furthermore ,DJH, he could care less, he is a man on a twisted mission !

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hm. Jesus chose them? Are you sure? You wouldn't teach anything which contradicts scripture. Would you?

kerndog

Simple, he MUST BE VINDICATED at all cost, he is obsessed with it ! And so is SW !.....BTW....there are hate sites out there for EVERY DENOMINATION.....yep, Christendom is really united alright....LOL !...what a joke !

Last edited:

kerndog

BOY I HAVE I HEARD THIS ALL BEFORE !....He is merely trying to sooth HIS ego, trying to promote a faith that was corrupted , hundreds of years ago, EXACTLY like our lord and Apostles foretold...Matthew 13:24-30...Acts 20:29,30....He desperately NEEDS to hold on to this corruption, his PRIDE (ego) wont allow it any other way....1 Peter 1:10-12....Normally, I would have stopped wasting my time with him many post ago, but, , he is on a mission, but for the sake someone might be willing to use their god given reasoning abilities,,,2 Corinthians 10:5...1 Corinthians 3:20...James 1:22....let him blather on, he is obsessed with the attention !

idav

Being
Premium Member
Please post one passage where Paul places himself above Jesus.

Have you ever read Acts of the Apostles 15 th chapter ?_______

First of all, Paul says that in showing honor take the lead at Romans 12:10 ?______
Didn't Paul remain humble according to 1 Corinthians 15:9-11 ?
Please consider how Paul handled a problem in Antioch:
The Christian congregation was split over circumcision - Acts of the Apostles 14:26 to 51:2
Paul was the one appointed to take the lead in the gentile nations.
Wasn't Paul well qualified to deal with the issue ? ______ Galatians 2:8-10
Rather with humility and modesty Paul went along with the arrangements of the body of elders in Jerusalem.
Paul co-operated fully with them when they assigned Paul to be one of their messengers - Act of the Apostles 15:22-31
Thus, Paul too the lead in showing honor to his fellow Christians - Romans 12:10

Later at Acts of the Apostles 18:3 we see Paul supporting his own ministry by making tents to support himself. - 1 Thessalonians 2:9; 2 Thessalonians 3:10
Paul contradicst Christ
Christ
“And call no one your Father on earth, for you have one Father, the one in Heaven.”
Paul
For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. (1 Corinthians 4:15 ESV)

I don't know what "gospel" Paul was reading but wasn't John or Matthew.