• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Paul Jewish?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
A couple of days ago I chanced upon a video of a lecture (in Hebrew) by an Israeli historian named Yigal Bin-Nun. The lecture was about the start of Christianity as an organized religion (post-Jesus). I didn't watch everything, but at some point he opined that Paul was not actually born Jewish. The story of his background in Acts was a later fabrication, he said, and - I do not know if this is true or not - Paul never explicitly states he is Jewish in his various epistles. Bin-Nun thought he was a very learned non-Jewish Greek man (perhaps he meant Hellenistic, not sure) with a philosophical background who turned to Christianity and at times seemed to present himself as Jewish to further his preaching agenda.

One thought that I had earlier was that this might explain why Paul spoke of the abolishment of the law in Ephesians 2.
But as I already mentioned above, I have not fully looked into this idea.

Thoughts?

Orbit

I'm a planet
Tradition is that Saul was a Jew who persecuted early Christians. He took the name Paul after his conversion. I don't think you can prove or disprove any of it.

exchemist

Veteran Member
A couple of days ago I chanced upon a video of a lecture (in Hebrew) by an Israeli historian named Yigal Bin-Nun. The lecture was about the start of Christianity as an organized religion (post-Jesus). I didn't watch everything, but at some point he opined that Paul was not actually born Jewish. The story of his background in Acts was a later fabrication, he said, and - I do not know if this is true or not - Paul never explicitly states he is Jewish in his various epistles. Bin-Nun thought he was a very learned non-Jewish Greek man (perhaps he meant Hellenistic, not sure) with a philosophical background who turned to Christianity and at times seemed to present himself as Jewish to further his preaching agenda.

One thought that I had earlier was that this might explain why Paul spoke of the abolishment of the law in Ephesians 2.

Thoughts?
He is supposed to be a Jewish tent maker from Tarsus in Asia Minor, part of the Jewish diaspora of the time. But I'm not sure what sources this is based upon.

lukethethird

unknown member
I think Paul was well versed in Hebrew scripture, he claimed to have learned of Jesus Christ by reading his ancient scriptures and by revelations, as in visions. One theory has it that the gospels, which came later, are a hybrid of Greek mythology and Hebrew scripture.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah. Well, Acts was the first thing that Bin-Nun disputed. See here:

So, any other pieces of evidence?

"If anyone else has reason to be confident in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless." Philippians 3:4-6

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
@Harel13 Also Galatians 1:13-14

"You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism. I was violently persecuting the church of God and was trying to destroy it. I advanced in Judaism beyond many among my people of the same age, for I was far more zealous for the traditions of my ancestors."

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
"If anyone else has reason to be confident in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless." Philippians 3:4-6
Useful (hence the useful froob :D), thank you. I'm pretty sure he did mention this verse, but I would have to listen again to see if he did and what he said about it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Given the very limited agreed on historical evidence from the time, speculation is cheap and easy but definitive proof is impossible or close to that.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Given the very limited agreed on historical evidence from the time, speculation is cheap and easy but definitive proof is impossible or close to that.
Indeed. Which is why I merely asked what people think about this.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Thoughts?

Philippians3:3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh— 4 though I myself have reasons for such confidence.
If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.

pearl

Interesting that Paul defended himself before the Sanhedrin, he spoke Aramaic, not the Hellenized Greek.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting that Paul defended himself before the Sanhedrin, he spoke Aramaic, not the Hellenized Greek.
Is this an Acts story or does it appear elsewhere?
Aramaic, in any case, is not evidence. Aramaic was spoken at the time also by other people, not just Jews.

Brian2

Veteran Member
He is supposed to be a Jewish tent maker from Tarsus in Asia Minor, part of the Jewish diaspora of the time. But I'm not sure what sources this is based upon.

Acts18:1 After this Paula left Athens and went to Corinth. b went to see them, 3 and, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them, and they worked together—by trade they were tentmakers. 4 Every sabbath he would argue in the synagogue and would try to convince Jews and Greeks.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I think Paul was well versed in Hebrew scripture, he claimed to have learned of Jesus Christ by reading his ancient scriptures and by revelations, as in visions. One theory has it that the gospels, which came later, are a hybrid of Greek mythology and Hebrew scripture.

One theory is that the Gospels were indeed written when and by whom the evidence points to, the apostle John, the apostle Matthew, Luke a Gentile convert and companion of Paul on his journeys who got his story from witnesses and those who were there when Jesus was alive and Mark a disciple of Peter and someone who was probably around when Jesus lived.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
One theory is that the Gospels were indeed written when and by whom the evidence points to, the apostle John, the apostle Matthew, Luke a Gentile convert and companion of Paul on his journeys who got his story from witnesses and those who were there when Jesus was alive and Mark a disciple of Peter and someone who was probably around when Jesus lived.
Is that a theory or Christian tradition?