• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Muhammed a Pacifist?

Youssef Ali

Youssef
Islam has never contributed to the world heritage or civilazition. ( Moıhammad was cruel and violent enough toexterminate the old god statues of his people. He was illetirate ( really true?) but he married one of the richest widows living on the dessert ( woww) .

Islam is not peaceful Zahra, but you are. But also, if you were from another religion you would be still peaceful?

zahra67

Islam is not peaceful Zahra, but you are. But also, if you were from another religion you would be still peaceful?

not islam, but all divine religions are peaceful.

God revealed his revelation in the different ages according to needs and understanding of mankind to give them prosperity and salvation.

islam is not against other religions, but confirms them and completes them.

we believe in all of prophets, divine books and respect them.

islam is the perfected version of all divine religions!
i ment, not only islam is the religion of peace, but all divine religions are peaceful and the Goal of creation, is attaining divine infinite mercy, bliss of paradise and prosperity and salvation.

all prophets are signs of divine mercy, compassionate to all mankind, and only desired the salvation of mankind.

idav

Being
Premium Member
If you mean actual pacifist, in the Islamic tradition he was a trader and traders travelling long distances with valuable merchandise would almost certainly be armed. There is nothing theologically to suggest he was an actual pacifist, and anyway Islamic theology is as reliable a source of history as Christian theology is (perhaps even less so).

From non-Muslim history, there really is very little about Muhammad. There is about enough to confirm he existed, was viewed as a prophet by some, and was in charge of some warriors (see: “Muḥammad, the Keys to Paradise, and the Doctrina Iacobi: A Late Antique Puzzle,” Der Islam 91.2 (2014): 243-265). Nothing about his early life. Nothing to suggest he was a pacifist.
For the purposes of the thread, I'm looking at Quran verses that are non-violent, not necessarily the hadiths which would be third person narrative.

zahra67

prophet Mohammad is the messenger of God, compassionate for guidance and salvation of all mankind, mercy for entire creations.
his mercyis because of divine grace and mercy!

see 3 159, 9 128, 21 107

zahra67

The term “Ahlul Bayt” (people of the house) has been repeated twice in the Holy Qur'an:
1. “... the mercy of Allah and his blessing are on you, O people of the house, ... (11:73)”
This verse refers to the people of the House of Ibrahim (S) (c.f. “Kashf al-Asrar wa `Uddat al-Abrar”, 416/4 and other interpretations).
2. “... Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O people of the House! And to purify you a (thorough) purifying (33:33)”.
This verse, known as the “Tathir verse”, refers to the Members of the Household of the Holy Prophet (S). The Imamiyyah scholars of hadith and fiqh, as well as some Sunni `Ulama, consider the “Ahlul Bayt” cited in the “tathir verse” to include exclusively Muhammad, `Ali, Fatimah, Hasan, and Husayn (peace be upon them all). They do not consider the Holy Prophet's other offspring, wives, sons of paternal uncles, and dwellers of his house as the Messenger's “Ahlul Bayt”.
They base their argument on the genuine and authentic traditions narrated by the companions of the Prophet (S) recorded in the Sunni and Shi`i sources. some of the said traditions and refer to some features of the “Ahlul Bayt” as narrated by the Sunnis:
Kisa' tradition; Mawaddat al-Qurba tradition; manzalah tradition; thaqalayn tradition; Safinah tradition; Other traditions.

manzalah tradition:
the Prophet said, “‘Ali is in relation to me as Aaron was to Moses, other than that after me there will be no Prophet.”
thaqalayn tradition:
The basic Tradition, according to Abu Dharr Ghifari, is that once when he was in the Ka’bah, he turned to the people and said that I heard that the Holy Prophet had said “I leave two things of value among you: the Qur’an and my family. These two will never separate from each other until they enter unto me in the Fountain of Abundance (kawthar) in Paradise. Thus, take care to follow what I have recommended” (Recorded from Jama’ Tarmjghi as from Niyabi’al-mawadah, p. 37)

idav

Being
Premium Member
Look at how short the article is. Islam has been around for 1400 years and they can barely fill a page on pacifism? Unexpected hilarity ensues...

I have my own theories on all of this, suffice to say that Muslims are not comforted by my reading of events and so I will bow to @Augustus on this as he is far more knowledgeable about the early era of Islam. One sect that is quite pacifist now, the Ismaili Sect has a fascinating history that was covered at length by Prof. Bernard Lewis. It started out as being far from pacifist.
Here you can add a half a page.
Peace in Islamic philosophy - Wikipedia

idav

Being
Premium Member
It does tend to make the whole idea laughable, really, especially after reading the meager offering. :)
Muhammad spent some 50 some years in Mecca before getting driven out and it's in the quran that he was accepting of religions, in Mecca, before he came back to smash idols some years later. I think its kind of interesting.

"Quran (109:6): To you be your religion, and to me be mine.
If this verse were narrated at a time when Muhammad had the power to impose his religion, then it might be more meaningful. In fact, it was a very early verse narrated when he was in Mecca and had no power. Things were different a decade or so later, when he came back to destroy the idols worshipped by the people - the same idols he refers to in this verse!"
The Quran's Verses of Peace and Tolerance

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Muhammad spent some 50 some years in Mecca before getting driven out and it's in the quran that he was accepting of religions, in Mecca, before he came back to smash idols some years later. I think its kind of interesting.
We have to keep in mind that virtually all records were written by his fanatical followers. As is common elsewhere, it is reasonable to expect that such accounts are glossed or white-washed, neglecting less savory aspects of the man. What is more telling is some of the more shocking aspects of his behavior writers chose to tell us. The pretense that he was tolerant of other religions is dispelled by his destroying the beloved idols in the Kabbah upon his return to Mecca. The people of Mecca were powerless to stop him. I doubt they were very pleased. If he was so accepting of other religions why smash up the Kabbah and claim it for Islam? If he was truly tolerant he would have invoked "To you be your religion, and to me be mine." He didn't do that and that IS telling.

Also the notion that he was "driven out" of Mecca was almost entirely due to his relentless preaching. It's like the proverbial doomsayer on the street corner relentlessly screaming, "The end is nigh!" After a week of that kind of thing most normal people would be heading outside with large clubs. Jus' sayin'...

In my view, it is the people of Mecca who were incredibly tolerant of Muhammad and his carrying on. It is only when he began to attract followers that the leaders in Mecca began to get concerned. "Yikes. Now people are actually listening to this nut." Something had to be done or so they thought. How can anyone blame them? In a very real sense, Muhammad was directly responsible for the enmity he had kindled and did little to dispel it. If anything, he inflamed it. He certainly caused it. The proof is that we was fairly well respected until the prophethood thing. That's when it all began to come off the rails.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Although Mohammed went to war, he united the 12 separate Muslim countries, so he was completely for peace but through war.

ManofIslam

Our Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was a Pacifist: generally speaking: But, of course, he did go into battles against his enemies and the enemies of Islam: as directed by Allah (SWT)!