• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Muhammad From Petra?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that he was. The earliest Mosques face Petra and the Quranic geography seems to suggest Petra, among many other things.

This is a good video on the subject:

What do you think?

It's unlikely, many of the earliest Islamic inscriptions can be found in the vicinity of Mecca and Taif.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I believe that he was. The earliest Mosques face Petra and the Quranic geography seems to suggest Petra, among many other things.

What do you think?
Nope. He came from Abdullah ibn Abdul-Muttalib and Aminah bint Wahb :D

Jus' tryin' to be helpful, as ususal...

Milton Platt

What do you think?

He lost me when he mentioned "quaranic" evidence.

Might be of interest:

Although Muhammad’s religious movement may perhaps have originated somewhere in the Ḥijāz, it seems clear that the western coast of Arabia was not originally its holy land. Jerusalem, and not Mecca and Medina, appears to have stood at the center of early Islam’s sacred map, which is only to be expected if Islam began, as seems likely, as an eschatological faith grounded in a shared Abrahamic identity. Only as Islam progressively transformed itself over the course of the seventh century from an inter-confessional Abrahamic eschatological movement into the distinctively Arab faith of an empire defined by Muhammad’s unique prophetic message did its sacred geography change accordingly. During this period, the Ḥijāzī cities of Mecca and Medina gradually emerged at the center of a new sacred geography more suited to the sectarian, Arabian faith of classical Islam. This struggle to redefine the Islamic holy land reached its climax in the events of the
Second Civil War, a conflict that seems to have been partly grounded in competing ideas of sacred geography and whose outcome appears to have largely settled the matter in favor of the Ḥijāz.
(Death of a Prophet - S Shoemaker)