• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Mary a wife unto God?

whirlingmerc

by church you mean the Roman Catholic Church....
because the New Testament claims broadly that believers are united with Christ and are the bride of Christ
and yes, Mary being part of the church is included

Protestant here

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If Mary was not a wife unto god, then Jesus was not son of god, literally and physically.
Is there a Christian who considers Mary a wife unto god? Please
Regards
If we go by the story in the Bible, God wasn't Mary's husband; God was Mary's rapist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Christians do not believe it was forced
Mary said 'let it be done to me according to your word' in Luke

see Luke 1
Even in Luke, she wasn't given a choice, just told what was going to be done to her.

However, I was thinking of the Matthew version. In that version, she's just "found to be pregnant." The two Gospels contradict each other on this point.

whirlingmerc

not really... you're reading it like photographic wester journalism... a writer in that day would bring up
only details for a specific purpose, Mary would later be publicly discovered 'found by a community'
but privately would have heard first form the angel Not contradictory.

and Mary was clearly concenting, 'be it done to me according to your word' and not protesting, lamenting or begrudging but considered herself most blessed of women

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

If Mary was not a wife unto god, then Jesus was not son of god, literally and physically.
Is there a Christian who considers Mary a wife unto god? Please
Regards
Wouldn't it just be easier to recognize that the whole story is actually incoherent if taken literally and then move on? Or else take it metaphorically and then forget the non-existent, putative relationships?

rusra02

Premium Member
Where from Luke know this? He had know personal knowledge about the matter. He never met Jesus and or Mary. Did he? Please
Regards
Luke was not an eyewitness but a careful historian and researcher. His book begins: "Seeing that many have undertaken to compile an account of the facts that are given full credence among us, just as these were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and attendants of the message, I resolved also, because I have traced all things from the start with accuracy, to write them to you in logical order, most excellent The·ophʹi·lus, so that you may know fully the certainty of the things that you have been taught orally." (Luke 1:1-4) Luke traveled with the apostle Paul, and had opportunity to meet other apostles and eyewitnesses of Jesus life and ministry. Both Luke's gospel and the book of Acts bear the hallmark of careful reasearch and historical truth, IMO.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Luke was not an eyewitness but a careful historian and researcher. His book begins: "Seeing that many have undertaken to compile an account of the facts that are given full credence among us, just as these were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and attendants of the message, I resolved also, because I have traced all things from the start with accuracy, to write them to you in logical order, most excellent The·ophʹi·lus, so that you may know fully the certainty of the things that you have been taught orally." (Luke 1:1-4) Luke traveled with the apostle Paul, and had opportunity to meet other apostles and eyewitnesses of Jesus life and ministry. Both Luke's gospel and the book of Acts bear the hallmark of careful reasearch and historical truth, IMO.
That makes Luke a more doubtful character, as Paul was never a disciple of Jesus. Paul was an enemy of Jesus. With a made-up vision Paul declared himself an apostle of Jesus, un-authorized. Please
Kindly correct me if I am wrong. Please
Regards

Kirran

Premium Member
That make Luke a more doubtful character, as Paul was never a disciple of Jesus. Paul was an enemy of Jesus. With a Paul vision he declared himself an apostle of Jesus. Please
Regards

That's the Islamic doctrine, it is not the Christian one.

rusra02

Premium Member
That makes Luke a more doubtful character, as Paul was never a disciple of Jesus. Paul was an enemy of Jesus. With a made-up vision Paul declared himself an apostle of Jesus, un-authorized. Please
Regards
Paul was a faithful apostle of Jesus Christ for decades. He suffered persecution and prison for his tireless and faithful work in behalf of Christ, and finally was killed. Luke was Paul's traveling companion and witnessed his faith and zeal for true worship.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Paul was a faithful apostle of Jesus Christ for decades. He suffered persecution and prison for his tireless and faithful work in behalf of Christ, and finally was killed. Luke was Paul's traveling companion and witnessed his faith and zeal for true worship.

Paul never was a disciple or apostle of Jesus, he was never one among the 12 of Jesus' disciples. He always wanted that Jesus be killed and his companion persecuted. When Jesus went out of Judea, and went out of the Roman influence area, after the ordeal of crucifixion in which Jesus survived, Paul lost hope of catching him and killing him again. Paul faked a vision and self-appointed himself an apostle just to mislead the innocent sheep of Jesus and invented many new creeds which Jesus and Mary never ever believed in. It was Paul's revenge in another way.

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Wouldn't it just be easier to recognize that the whole story is actually incoherent if taken literally and then move on? Or else take it metaphorically and then forget the non-existent, putative relationships?
"Wouldn't it just be easier to recognize that the whole story is actually incoherent if taken literally"

It cannot be taken literally. I agree with one.
Regards

Kirran

Premium Member
Discussion/debate occurs when two persons/groups have different views to find the truth.
Christian could give their viewpoint if they like. My views are different.
Regards

Discussion begins when you share the reasoning and sentiments behind your positions and when you listen to other people's ideas and take them on board. Simple statement of your positions does not constitute discussion.