• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Judas a black man?

Orbit

I'm a planet
My mom, who is quite fundamentalist, (and Southern), swears that Judas was a black man. Have you ever heard of this? Is this just something that my mom made up, or is there a basis for it in scripture or tradition? Was Judas Ethiopian?

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
readImage

Buttercup

Veteran Member
My mom, who is quite fundamentalist, (and Southern), swears that Judas was a black man. Have you ever heard of this? Is this just something that my mom made up, or is there a basis for it in scripture or tradition? Was Judas Ethiopian?
The quickest way to dispute what your mom says is to ask her to find the passages in the bible where it states Judas was a black man or Ethiopian.
She won't find it and she'll do all the work for you. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

A lot of people had dark skin in Biblical times. Jesus was a Jew, Judas, and so on. I think Peter is both Roman (Caurcasian) and Jew. Having dark skin tone doesnt make someone "Black" unless she means actual skin tone not ethnicity/heritage.

What does she mean by black?

Black American or dark skin tone? (Judas wasnt from Africa)

Corthos

Great Old One
Wow... Never heard that one. =/

What I have heard, though, was my dad telling me that he used to hear that people of African (black) descent were all descendants of Kane(which was the "Mark of Kane"); at least, that's what he was taught when he was a Mormon. He told me that policy changed later on, though.

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
A lot of people had dark skin in Biblical times. Jesus was a Jew, Judas, and so on. I think Peter is both Roman (Caurcasian) and Jew. Having dark skin tone doesnt make someone "Black" unless she means actual skin tone not ethnicity/heritage.

What does she mean by black?

Black American or dark skin tone? (Judas wasnt from Africa)
I think she means African American, since she lives in the South of the US, where there is a long history of racism among a portion of the population. Obviously, since there were probably no African Americans at the time the New Testament was written, she is making a rather obvious mistake of conflating a local racial group with behaviour in a different place and time, namely that Judas betrayed Jesus, so he must be "bad", which in her eyes is African American.

One of the many ironies here is that in the story, Judas' betrayal was a necessary part of Jesus being killed and humankind apparently being redeemed. So is he really the bad guy anyway?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think she means African American, since she lives in the South of the US, where there is a long history of racism among a portion of the population. Obviously, since there were probably no African Americans at the time the New Testament was written, she is making a rather obvious mistake of conflating a local racial group with behaviour in a different place and time, namely that Judas betrayed Jesus, so he must be "bad", which in her eyes is African American.

One of the many ironies here is that in the story, Judas' betrayal was a necessary part of Jesus being killed and humankind apparently being redeemed. So is he really the bad guy anyway?

My co-worker told me about her brother being an Black Isrealite. Certain African American communities feel that Jesus was black and they are the Isrealites or "chosen people" to spread god's word. What you saying could be an influence from that.

Just one huge flaw in your mothers view, though. Judas isnt from Africa and South US Black Americans arent decendent from Jeresulum and Rome.

But that is ironic about Judas being the keynote player. Did you tell her that?