• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus the Messaiah? Why or why not?

Was Yeshua the Messaiah!

• Yes

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Don't know, don't care

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What bothers you about what Jesus taught? I'd especially be interested in understanding the Jewish perspective.

I'm having doubts about Jesus being the Jewish Messiah, because it doesn't make sense to me that if he was the Messiah Israel was praying for and eagerly awaiting, why did the movement he started lead to such anti-Semitism and persecution of Jews?

I'd assume the Messiah would exalt Israel, not argue with Jewish authorities, be executed as a criminal, and found a Church that brought about some of the worst anti-Semitism.

So what bothers you about Yeshua of Nazareth? Please explain why or why not he is the Messaiah. Thanks.

I'm praying that God will give Israel the Messiah they are expecting. It seems the time is ripe. He sounds like an amazing person. I hope and pray God isn't going to let his chosen people wait in vain.

Although I find Jesus quite blameless, He didn't fulfill enough prophecy in my opinion. He defied the law. The movement he started did away with much of the law. He also said he could forgive sins and that he and the Father are one, and those who see him see the Father, making himself equal to God. Is the Messiah supposed to make such claims about himself?

Please, if you feel inclined, join me in prayer that God gives his people the Messiah and Temple they are hoping for. Easy is this for God to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I voted yes, but than again my view of the Messiah is different than most.

When the Messiah comes the world changes and is transformed, but people often do not, and as is often the case the darker side rules. The denial of the Messiah often results in bad consequences.

I believe the expectations people have of what the Messiah represents pretty much determines most will reject the Messiah and mold God in their own image.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I'm having doubts about Jesus being the Jewish Messiah,

?

You have a hard time believing he was Jewish and the Messiah or that he was the Jewish Messiah? Because the Jewish faith did not accept Him as the Messiah. The Jews are still waiting for the Messiah. But yes Jesus was a Jew by birth.

Oh and Christian is not the most anti-semetic. There is one specific religion that despises Jews more than anyone. Just to get you clear on some facts. :D

Spiderman

Veteran Member
?

You have a hard time believing he was Jewish and the Messiah or that he was the Jewish Messiah? Because the Jewish faith did not accept Him as the Messiah. The Jews are still waiting for the Messiah. But yes Jesus was a Jew by birth.

Oh and Christian is not the most anti-semetic. There is one specific religion that despises Jews more than anyone. Just to get you clear on some facts. :D
?

Yes I know he was Jewish. However, he wasn't who the Jews were expecting, and didn't fulfill all the prophecies.

I'm praying that God will raise someone up who will actually be who the Jews are waiting for, that they not be waiting in vain.

Also I said the Church started some of the worst antisemitism...not the worst

Enoch07

Premium Member
Also I said the Church started some of the worst antisemitism...not the worst

Fair enough, early Christianity made a lot of mistakes. Still is not perfect today. But atleast we don't kill people just for having different beliefs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hebrew scripture sets out strict requirement's in the form of prophecies. Assuming the nt is true or even remotely accurate then no, he didn't fulfill the prophecies required of a Messiah, therefore no.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Hebrew scripture sets out strict requirement's in the form of prophecies. Assuming the nt is true or even remotely accurate then no, he didn't fulfill the prophecies required of a Messiah, therefore no.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Fair enough, early Christianity made a lot of mistakes. Still is not perfect today. But atleast we don't kill people just for having different beliefs.
Do you think the Jews are waiting in vain for a Messiah, or do you think God will give them someone who will actually fulfill all the prophecies?

Elliott

Do you think the Jews are waiting in vain for a Messiah, or do you think God will give them someone who will actually fulfill all the prophecies?
He is coming and we know this because the world has begun to deteriorate which is brought down in prophecy. Consider the Ozone layer.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Yes, in a way, but clearly not what constituted the assumed job description at the time.
What bothers you about what Jesus taught?
The hypocrisy.
"Keep your religion on the DL." (Goes and has multiple events with large groups.)
"Be willing to die for your beliefs." (Runs from death ... a LOT.)
"Give everything you have to the poor." (Likes an oil rubdown paid for with funds for the poor AND has no job so isn't sacrificing ANYTHING.)
"Don't call anyone a fool or go to hell." (Calls clergy foolish.)
"I don't need magic food, Satan." (Poofs up magic food later.)
"I don't need worldly power, Satan." (Threatens to rule entire planet.)
"I don't need to jump off a cliff and rewrite the laws of physics, Satan." (Rewrites laws of physics to walk on water when he could've just waited until the boat docked.)

For starters.

I'm praying that God will give Israel the Messiah they are expecting. It seems the time is ripe.
They were expecting someone to trash Rome and create an empire that will never be. They were always backwoods and will remain so. Map jealousy doesn't become them.

Oh and Christian is not the most anti-semetic. There is one specific religion that despises Jews more than anyone. Just to get you clear on some facts.
LOL. Who do you think gave "them" the idea?

But atleast we don't kill people just for having different beliefs.
I think we found the one person who doesn't watch the news, guys.

From the FBI's website:
2010:
Of the 1,552 victims of an anti-religion hate crime:

• 67.0 percent were victims of an offender’s anti-Jewish bias.
  • 12.7 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
  • 4.2 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
  • 3.0 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
  • 0.5 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
  • 9.1 percent were victims of a bias against other religions (anti-other religion).
  • 3.5 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
Note that anti-Christian victims don't even come close to the top contender.

2011:
Of the 1,480 victims of an anti-religious hate crime:

• 63.2 percent were victims of an offender’s anti-Jewish bias.
  • 12.5 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
  • 5.7 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
  • 4.4 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
  • 3.4 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
  • 0.3 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
  • 10.5 percent were victims of a bias against other religions (anti-other religion). (Based on Table 1.)
Nope, Christians still aren't the main victims.

2012:
Of the 1,340 victims of an anti-religious hate crime:

• 62.4 percent were victims of an offender’s anti-Jewish bias.
  • 11.6 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
  • 7.5 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
  • 6.4 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
  • 2.6 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
  • 0.9 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
  • 8.6 percent were victims of a bias against other religions (anti-other religion). (Based on Table 1.)
Seems like people hatin' on Jews and Muslims more than poor, poor Christians.

2013:
You know what? This goes on similarly for awhile. Skip ...

2015 (last one on the site):
Of the 1,402 victims of anti-religious hate crimes:

• 52.1 percent were victims of crimes motivated by their offenders’ anti-Jewish bias.
  • 21.9 percent were victims of anti-Islamic (Muslim) bias.
  • 4.3 percent were victims of anti-Catholic bias.
  • 4.1 percent were victims of bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
  • 3.6 percent were victims of anti-Eastern Orthodox (Russian, Greek, Other) bias.
  • 3.4 percent were victims of anti-Protestant bias.
  • 1.3 percent were victims of anti-Other Christian bias.
  • 0.6 percent were victims of anti-Mormon bias.
  • 0.4 percent were victims of anti-Hindu bias.
  • 0.4 percent were victims of anti-Sikh bias.
  • 0.1 percent were victims of anti-Jehovah’s Witness bias.
  • 0.1 percent were victims of anti-Buddhist bias.
  • 0.1 percent were victims of anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
  • 7.6 percent were victims of bias against other religions (anti-other religion).
Out of all the hate crimes, poor, poor Christians just can't get all the victimhood it thinks it deserves. Sad, really.

I would've listed the different offenders, but they didn't seem to be classified by religion. Convenient, no?

Enoch07

Premium Member
LOL. Who do you think gave "

Oh that hate started long before Christianity. Even longer before Islam was even thought of. You should research it for funsies sometime. :D

Out of all the hate crimes, poor, poor Christians just can't get all the victimhood it thinks it deserves. Sad, really.

I never claimed we were victims. Nor would I want to, that is just gross.

Hawkins

No. Today's Jews don't even know the Messianic concept of the Jews back in Jesus time. Today's Judaism was only revived after AD 200. The traditional Judaism died with the AD 70 siege.

Hawkins

Jesus is the only one claimed to be a Messiah and with a Holy Book literally leading to the salvation of the many (Christians). Other messiahs either don't exist or never save any one.

If Jesus is not the Messiah, then virtually no one in the past 2000 years is saved. If on the other hand, salvation doesn't matter then who cares about who the Messiah is?

ChristineM

Premium Member
No. Today's Jews don't even know the Messianic concept of the Jews back in Jesus time. Today's Judaism was only revived after AD 200. The traditional Judaism died with the AD 70 siege.

jc was said to be alive before before 70 AD, and hebvdfisdnt meet the criteria to be Messiah then either

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus is the only one claimed to be a Messiah and with a Holy Book literally leading to the salvation of the many (Christians). Other messiahs either don't exist or never save any one.

If Jesus is not the Messiah, then virtually no one in the past 2000 years is saved. If on the other hand, salvation doesn't matter then who cares about who the Messiah is?
Jesus was one of many messianic claimants. Also, there is not such a thing as salvation in Jewish theology; no saviour figure is needed in order for anyone to enter heaven. It is, and always has been, righteousness, whether Jew or nonJew. No one needs to be 'saved' from anything.

DavidFirth

Jesus was one of many messianic claimants. Also, there is not such a thing as salvation in Jewish theology; no saviour figure is needed in order for anyone to enter heaven. It is, and always has been, righteousness, whether Jew or nonJew. No one needs to be 'saved' from anything.

His point is/was that Jesus is the only One who can back up His claims with scripture. I know it is scripture that you don't like or believe is scripture but it is scripture all the same.