• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus sent to be crucified?

sincerly

e.r.m. said:
The Jews of that time and place handed Jesus over to be crucified.

Not likely. Not even historical. This only supports an apologetic view of this theology.

Crowds were around half a million people. One could teach what ever one wanted and one would never find a cross. One could yell at the top of ones lungs and never be heard or noticed.

Historically speaking, if one caused any actions disturbing the peace required during the event, one would be put on a cross without a trial. It would be an order.

There Is very little historicity surrounding this event to make, to make to many certainties. The nature of trouble is unknown.

Outhouse, That trial of Jesus took place on the night of Passover. The population would have gathered at houses for the passover meal. Not roaming the streets and hillsides.
It was only when daylight arrived the the Jewish leaders took Jesus over to Pilate. They had already pronounced "blaspheme" as a crime.
Pilate didn't buy that as a reason for killing Jesus.
Therefore, they changed the charge to Jesus claimed to be a king.(of this world---which was a lie on the Jewish leader's part)--instead of Caesar. Even that didn't fly with Pilate. However, Pilate offered the people a known criminal of Jesus to be set free. The people chose Barabas.
JESUS, John 12:27, "Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour."
John 18:37, "Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

This is apologetic theology, probably not real history.
This is apologetic theology, not real history.
This is apologetic theology, not real history.

Outhouse, no matter how many times you choose the disbelieve it the "Thus saith the LORD GOD" is true. Jesus was sent to seek and save that which was/is lost.

Harikrish

Jesus chose to be crucified. Jesus failed to see the contradictions in the Bible.
Jesus claims he came to fulfilled the prophesy in Isaiah. But Isaiah has two versions of the messiah. One is the "suffering saviour" who is put to death and the other is the "conquering king" who will liberate Israel. Jesus did not see the contradiction and offered himself as the suffering saviour. He was put to death accordingly. He could have chosen the conquering king and brought glory to israel. But he chose to be crucified, instead.

The suffering saviour prophesy
1. Isaiah 53 – This is the suffering servant passage: would suffer for our transgression (v. 5); upon whom our iniquities would be placed (vs. 5,6); would become an asham (guilt offering) for the atonement of the people’s sins (v. 10); he would be cut off from the land of the living (v.8), Isaiah tells us, but will then see the light of life (i.e. be resurrected; v. 10).
2. Zechariah 9:9 – lowly and riding on a donkey.
3. Psalm 22 – cry out, “My God, why have you forsaken me?” (v. 1), and suffer the anguish the psalmist writes of.

The conquering king.
1. Isaiah 27:13 –come at the blast of the shofar (the rams horn), when God promises that all of Israel will be redeemed and returned to the land.
2. Psalm 2 – This is the conquering king Messiah
3. Isaiah 9 – the one who would have the government upon his shoulders, and who would be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.