• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Resurrection an actual event?

Unes

Premium Member
I wrote a book that explored the existence of Mighty God. I argued God created this Universe over thirteen billion years ago.

I also argued; if Jesus resurrection was a true story then the HOLINESS of Mother Mary should have become crystal clear to all the apostles; Since the apostles experienced Jesus divinity first hand. And then Jesus was gone to heaven, then Mother Mary, in flesh, was the Holiest person amongst them. Acually after Jesus Mother Mary was the Holiest person that ever lived on this Earth. And all the apostles had full knowledge of this fact. Then it is reasonable to assume that Mother Mary should have become the center of all the attentions for all the apostles and the other followers of Jesus. Then there should have been tons of documents about Holy Mother Mary.

Since the Apostles and others did NOT pay any attention to Mother Mary, and there is no documentation about the life and fate of Mother Mary. Even her tomb is obscure. This lack of interest in Mother Mary made me to conclude that Jesus resurrection story must be a fairytale that was invented later on by the Gospel writers.

May God bless us all,

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Unes;

That was certainly a 'grand entrance' ! Why don't you introduce yourself to us, so we know a bit about you ? I hope you enjoy the forum, and although I could'nt possibly answer your question, I am sure there is someone here who can!:)

Unes

Premium Member
Hi folks,
I was borne in Iran. I grew up practicing Islam up to age of 23. I've got a bachelor degree in Physics from Tehran University. I moved to US on 1972 to continue my education; I got my master degree from SFSU.

While I was practicing Islam I had lots of questions that could not be answered by the religious people to my satisfaction. There were too many contradictions in the theology of the Orthodox religions. Then I stopped believing in orthodox religions altogether.

However in my life I have experienced some events that proved to me the existence of God. Then I examined the Holy Books more carefully, I found lots of wisdom on those books, which showed me that man has been experiencing the invisible hand which is in play in our lives and they had tried to reflect those experiences in the Holy books. However I can not accept that those people who wrote those books in the past had any special superiority over my experiences of deity. On contrary I feel those ancient writers because of their lack of knowledge of their environment they made few blunders in their understanding of God. So I am trying to distinguish between their spiritual flights and their misconceptions.

I think this summarizes what is my belief system!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Unes said:
Hi folks,
I was borne in Iran. I grew up practicing Islam up to age of 23. I've got a bachelor degree in Physics from Tehran University. I moved to US on 1972 to continue my education; I got my master degree from SFSU.

While I was practicing Islam I had lots of questions that could not be answered by the religious people to my satisfaction. There were too many contradictions in the theology of the Orthodox religions. Then I stopped believing in orthodox religions altogether.

However in my life I have experienced some events that proved to me the existence of God. Then I examined the Holy Books more carefully, I found lots of wisdom on those books, which showed me that man has been experiencing the invisible hand which is in play in our lives and they had tried to reflect those experiences in the Holy books. However I can not accept that those people who wrote those books in the past had any special superiority over my experiences of deity. On contrary I feel those ancient writers because of their lack of knowledge of their environment they made few blunders in their understanding of God. So I am trying to distinguish between their spiritual flights and their misconceptions.

I think this summarizes what is my belief system!
Well, first let me congratulate you on your physics Masters; you are obviously very intelligent. You are perfectly 'in order' to query the 'spiritual lights and misconceptions'; it is not a wise man who accepts without question. The trouble with Religion is that unfortunately, unlike physics, you will not get any proof positive.

I don't know if you have ever tried to do so, but you might 'have a go' at meditation - listen to your own heart, and your higher consciousness; you might well be surprised at what comes out of that excercise!

I wish you all the luck in your quest, and hope you find the answers for which you are looking.:)

Melody

Unes said:
I also argued; if Jesus resurrection was a true story then the HOLINESS of Mother Mary should have become crystal clear to all the apostles; Since the apostles experienced Jesus divinity first hand. And then Jesus was gone to heaven, then Mother Mary, in flesh, was the Holiest person amongst them. Acually after Jesus Mother Mary was the Holiest person that ever lived on this Earth.

Then it is reasonable to assume that Mother Mary should have become the center of all the attentions for all the apostles and the other followers of Jesus.

While she is certainly revered for her role in the birth of Christ, why should she become the center of all attention? Christ did not pass his crown to her so that she could take His place.

To make her the center of attention implies that she is on an equal footing with Christ...and she was not.

Unes

Premium Member
Originally posted by Michel:
The trouble with Religion is that unfortunately, unlike physics, you will not get any proof positive.
If we are claiming that God who is the source of our religion and our higher consciousness is the same Mighty God who created this Orderly Universe, then I do expect that God guide us to VERY LOGICAL understanding of his glory. Instead of these nonsense religion's theologies. God blessed us with this powerful and logical mind to think and understand his glory. I do trust that he would reward us to comprehend his glory without discrediting our intelligent minds.

Originally posted by Michel
you might well be surprised at what comes out of that exercise!

Well, I am already doing that exercise, and as far as I can grasp it that is beautiful and serene and I tell you; it does NOT offend my intelligence! But I am at infancy of this process, and I need to dig deep to grasp a better notion of God's glory.

Originally posted by Melody:
To make her the center of attention implies that she is on an equal footing with Christ...and she was not.

Holy Mother Mary was begotten by Holy Spirit. She gave birth to son of God. She had the same blood as son of God. God made her perpetual virgin and without any sin. Do you know anybody else who could come close to the stature and credential of Holy Mother Mary?

Besides we have some stories about John the Baptist, James(Jesus brother), Paul, and Peter and we know where they were buried, but NOTHING about Holy Mother Mary, and no one could tell us with any certainty where Mother Mary was buried! At least nobody claimed that Mother Mary's body was ascended to heaven. After 2000 years we have to resort to a FICTION, like the "Da Vinci Code" in order to learn about Holy Mother Mary's life! Isn't this odd?

May God bless us all,

almifkhar

i suspose that the jesus story could be true, but i wonder how much if it is fact. if you notice through out history, the only ones who are remembered are those who came from powerful families. the ruling class if you will. so with this said, i do believe that a man named jesus lived and i am sure that some of his story is fact while some is fiction to fit someone elses ideas of factual history. but to answer the orginal question, mary would not have been worshiped by the apostiles cause she was not jesus. she was and still is honored simply cause she gave birth to him. and the resurrection theory is still up for debate. some believe it to be fact while others think he escaped to gual. one thing is for sure about jesus, he sure did upset lots of folks in the ruling class.

andyjamal

servant
The resurrection of Christ was an actual event, but it didn't happen in a literal sense as a shallow interpretation of the scripture would lead one to believe. The apostles were saddened by the death of Jesus and forsook their teaching missions. After a few days, the Spirit of Christ was resurrected in their hearts and the body of Christ (His followers) came to life and began to fulfill His teachings. This is one interpretation. The Baha'i writings fully explain all of the symbols used in the story of the resurrection. Unfortunately, I don't know where.

Whenever I read any scripture, I ask myself, "What is the spiritual significance of this passage?" I believe that if something has been written in scripture, it is meant to be a spiritual guide for future generations. Oftentimes, when we interpret the scriptures literally, they serve no purpose. So, I look for the inner meanings; by this way I am enlightened, not just entertained.

oracle

Unes said:
I had lots of questions that could not be answered by the religious people to my satisfaction. There were too many contradictions in the theology of the Orthodox religions. Then I stopped believing in orthodox religions altogether.
I find myself somewhat in the same boat.

Personally I believe that the ressurection is symbolic for spiritual awakening. The spiritual totality of existence is infinite and eternal, whole and unified, and that is what we inherit after ego-death. I see that when a person becomes awakened, it is the same as emulating Jesus, it is "taking up your own cross". It is externalizing unity and wholeness through loving kindness and humility. I also see that Jesus lives on through God's words [Christ/Logos] and through the Holy spirit [that is the subjective revelations of God that each of us may have].

Unes

Premium Member
I do believe that Jesus was a real man, a true believer in God, a pure believer and devoted to Judaism, and he was crucified innocently.

Based on the historical evidence one could make an EDUCATED GUESS regarding the life story of Jesus and his crucifixion:

Jesus lost his life for his Jewish cause; accusing the Jewish High Priest for corruption, and challenging the Jewish High Priest for mishandling the affairs of the Jewish Temple. Jesus condemned the High Priest for violating of Jehovah's Commandment, and desecrating the sanctity of the Jewish Temple by allowing vendors to operate inside the Jewish Temple Ground. Jesus passionately was warning Jews for straying from God's Laws. Jesus was prophesizing that God would punish Jews for failing their religious practices. Similar to the preaching of John the Baptist.

The Jewish High Priest could not harm Jesus since according to Jewish laws Jesus' mischief in temple ground and his challenge of High Priest for running the affairs of the Jewish Temple was not punishable by death. That is why the Jewish High Priest sent Jesus to the Romans labeled him as "a dangerous man" needed to be crucified. To make an example of him for challenging the High Priest! The Romans did not have anything against Jesus. Jesus had not done anything to aggravate the Romans. His beef was against the Temple High Priest. The Romans crucified Jesus under the recommendation of the Jewish High Priest.

Jesus was a real man with very high integrity and he was devoted to his Jewish Faith and he fearlessly fought for that cause. Because of Jesus pure faith in God; his followers kept remembering his absolute devotion to God. After the destruction of the 2nd Jewish Temple at 70 AD by Romans, his followers claimed that Jesus prophesied of the destruction of the 2nd Jewish Temple. Jesus had warned people that God would punish Jews for violating Jehovah strict laws. And then his prophesies had come true. All of sudden Jesus was recognized as a true man of God who had foreseen the destruction of the Jewish Temple about thirty seven years earlier.

May God bless us all,

dan

Unes said:
I wrote a book that explored the existence of Mighty God. I argued God created this Universe over thirteen billion years ago.

I also argued; if Jesus resurrection was a true story then the HOLINESS of Mother Mary should have become crystal clear to all the apostles; Since the apostles experienced Jesus divinity first hand. And then Jesus was gone to heaven, then Mother Mary, in flesh, was the Holiest person amongst them. Acually after Jesus Mother Mary was the Holiest person that ever lived on this Earth. And all the apostles had full knowledge of this fact. Then it is reasonable to assume that Mother Mary should have become the center of all the attentions for all the apostles and the other followers of Jesus. Then there should have been tons of documents about Holy Mother Mary.

Since the Apostles and others did NOT pay any attention to Mother Mary, and there is no documentation about the life and fate of Mother Mary. Even her tomb is obscure. This lack of interest in Mother Mary made me to conclude that Jesus resurrection story must be a fairytale that was invented later on by the Gospel writers.

May God bless us all,
What on earth? This is nothing but one big unqualified inference. Logically speaking this is a joke.

john313

warrior-poet
Jesus was put on the cross, but he did not die on the cross. He was taken off while still alive and he took the 3 days recovering from his wounds with all the healing herbs that were rubbed on him. he bled when he was stabbed in the side, corpses do not bleed. they brought 100 pounds of herbs and aloes to rub on his body before they wrapped him in linen strips(not like a traditional jewish burial at all)-why rub healing herbs on a dead body?? we are supposed to believe that Mary went to rub more healing herbs and spices on a 3 day old corpse??? that does not make much sense. Jesus did not die on the cross and therefore could not have been resurrected.

oracle

john313 said:
Jesus was put on the cross, but he did not die on the cross. He was taken off while still alive and he took the 3 days recovering from his wounds with all the healing herbs that were rubbed on him. he bled when he was stabbed in the side, corpses do not bleed. they brought 100 pounds of herbs and aloes to rub on his body before they wrapped him in linen strips(not like a traditional jewish burial at all)-why rub healing herbs on a dead body?? we are supposed to believe that Mary went to rub more healing herbs and spices on a 3 day old corpse??? that does not make much sense. Jesus did not die on the cross and therefore could not have been resurrected.
Have you ever seen "the Passion". I dunno, but after being brutally flogged I don't think anybody would survive.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I'm sorry;I can never get enthused by this sort of question. As far as I am concerned, it might have been, it might not (It makes no difference to me either way).

My stance on this is"believe whatever makes you happy":)

To any of you who may be interested, the resurrection of Christ is one of the most provable if not the most provable event in human history.
Prosecutor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, Prosecutor, why do you think the resurrection is one of the most provable if not the most provable event in human history?

Sunstone, I don't "think it." I KNOW IT. There is far more compelling evidence that Jesus rose from the dead than there is that George Washington was the first President of the United States. There is no question that George was the first President. There is no question that Jesus rose from the dead.Those who reject the resurrection as a historical fact are either ignorant of the facts or bias for some reason.
Prosecutor

Prosecutor

Master Vigil

Thats interesting Prosecutor... What facts are there? Besides the bible, that doesn't count. If you use the bible, that is circular reasoning, and a logical fallacy, and thus no proof at all.