• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus killed on the cross?

Bowman

Amazing. How many people believe those words today? Probably a billion or more and all just because of those first few words, and most people probably haven't read much further than that.

Amazing just how many people (like yourself) think that the OT was written in English.

dogsgod

Amazing just how many people (like yourself) think that the OT was written in English.
The OT was written in English. The Tanakh was written in Hebrew. The oldest translation of the Torah was written in Greek, it's called the Septuagint. Amazing just how many people (like yourself) think that the OT was written in Hebrew.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Would it honestly matter? Now, I don't agree with dogsgod on nearly anything; however, he seems to have a pretty good understanding of the Bible. He may not be able to go to the originals, or the oldest versions of the books of the OT, but that really doesn't matter in this case as the message is still the same for the point he is making.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Please tell us how many verses from the Koran actually directly address Jesus’ crucifixion, brother?

How many verses has Islam told you there are?

Out of the more than 77,000 Arabic words.

Out of the more than 6,000 verses.

Out of the 114 chapters.

There must be literally legions of verses upon which to build the Islamic mindset, right?

Tell us, brother…..please don't say that you rely upon just one verse...
Why would that be wrong? Should we look at the Bible and see how much of the theology is based on just one verse, or even no verse at all?

The fact is that the Quran clearly states that Jesus did not die on the cross. For the most part, that is what Islam teaches. So yes, in this case, according to the Quran, the Bible is incorrect. And really, you have no position to complain about Muslims dismissing the Bible, as it seems as if you dismiss the Quran.

Here is one more fact; both the Quran and Bible are wrong on many cases. Much of Christianity and Islam is based on single verses, or no verses at all. That is religion. Being a Christian, you have no real ground to stand on with your argument.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I believe there is another verse but both are misinterpreted and the interpretations contradict the Biblical account. Usually Muslims try to duck that problem by disclaiming the Bible.
Have you read the Arabic? They are not misinterpreted. The verses do in fact contradict the Bible, but the Bible itself contradicts the Bible. Science and history in many aspects contradict the Bible. Christian theology, many times, contradicts the Bible. Contradicting the Bible does not mean that the other account is false.

Also, if you disclaim the Quran, then you have no reason to say much about Muslims disclaiming the Bible. They do say different things. They both do have good messages that can be taken from them. However, both fail to give a very good picture of Jesus.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Hi brother...

I would like to see a follower of islam come forth with any other Koranic ayahs which they use for their position.

One verse is simply ludicrous to base an entire theology around.

Agreed...that Muslims attempt to discredit the Holy Bible in a feeble attempt to make their belief system more appealing...
Why do you discredit the "Holy" Quran? What makes your Bible better than the Quran? Both are said to come from God. Both are "Holy" books. Would it not be possible you are doing the same thing that you accuse Muslims of doing?

Again though, your whole argument is built on very shaky ground. The main reason being that many Christians beliefs are based on one single verse, or in other cases, on no verses at all. Some of the Christian beliefs even contradict the Bible, and more so, contradict the teachings of Jesus. Unless you reject many of Christianity's belief, otherwise you admit that those beliefs, the one that you hold, are simply ludicrous.

Basically, you destroy your entire argument from the get go.

Bowman

Why would that be wrong? Should we look at the Bible and see how much of the theology is based on just one verse, or even no verse at all?

Give me one example, brother.

The fact is that the Quran clearly states that Jesus did not die on the cross.

Nope.

For the most part, that is what Islam teaches.

Islam is not the Koran, brother.

So yes, in this case, according to the Quran, the Bible is incorrect. And really, you have no position to complain about Muslims dismissing the Bible, as it seems as if you dismiss the Quran.

Have you read and studied both books in the original languages, brother?

Here is one more fact; both the Quran and Bible are wrong on many cases. Much of Christianity and Islam is based on single verses, or no verses at all. That is religion. Being a Christian, you have no real ground to stand on with your argument.

Show me...

Bowman

Why do you discredit the "Holy" Quran? What makes your Bible better than the Quran?

The Holy Bible is the source of the Koran, brother.

If you had read both books, then you would already know this...

Both are said to come from God.

Show me one Koranic ayah which has the god "allah" stating, in the first-person singular, that it was divinely inspired directly by him.

Good luck.

The main reason being that many Christians beliefs are based on one single verse, or in other cases, on no verses at all.

Show us...

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Give me one example, brother.
What about the idea that Jesus raise Lazareth from the dead? Or the idea that God had Noah fill the ark with 2 of each kind of animal (even though another verse shortly later contradicts that idea)? That God created Eve from one of Adams ribs? That Jesus was a carpenter? That Jesus could read or even write? That Jesus fled to Egypt? That Jesus taught in the synagogue when he was only 12? A lot of the ideas of Jesus's birth are simply based on a couple of verses even.
Just saying nope doesn't make it so. The consensus among scholars is that the Quran states that Jesus did not die on the cross. The Quran even clearly states this, both in English and Arabic.
Islam is not the Koran, brother.
Never said it was. But Islam is based off of the Quran and thus what they believe does state quite a bit about the Quran, especially when that belief comes directly from the Quran.
Have you read and studied both books in the original languages, brother?
Have you? Now I've studied and read the Quran in the original Arabic. I've also studied it in English, and compared the both and thus made notes. More so, I've also studied what scholars have said about the Quran.

For the Bible, I have studied parts of it in the original language. My Greek and Hebrew are very rough though, so I have taken to reading what the scholars have to say about it and comparing that to what I know about the original language.
Show me...
The Bible is wrong in the case of creation. The Bible is wrong about a global flood. The Bible is wrong about the formation of the nation of Israel. I think three examples are good enough. The idea of the trinity is not fully founded in the Bible as you will not find any verses speaking of it. And I've shown the one verse examples.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The Holy Bible is the source of the Koran, brother.

If you had read both books, then you would already know this...
You may want to check your history again. Yes, the Quran definitely borrowed ideas from the Bible, and it even admits that the Bible has some merit. However, to say that the Bible is the complete source of the Quran can not be proven. Especially since there is such huge discrepancies, as in the Quran contains a lot that is not found in the Bible.

Show me one Koranic ayah which has the god "allah" stating, in the first-person singular, that it was divinely inspired directly by him.

Good luck.
I never said that the Quran was directly inspired. I said that it is said to be directly inspired. Even the majority of the books of the Bible do not say they were inspired which is important as they were never intended to be in the Bible, and over time, there have been books that were considered Jewish and Christian scripture that were are not included in the Bible. More so, some of the early collections that would one day form the Bible had many different books in them than we do now.

The fact is, both books are written by humans for humans. If God did inspire them, then he is incompetent.

Bowman

Did you forget what you requested?

It was your assertion that Christian theology was based upon single verses, and no verses.

Thus...this being your first example, please demonstrate what specific theology is build upon this one verse.

Good luck.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It was your assertion that Christian theology was based upon single verses, and no verses.

Thus...this being your first example, please demonstrate what specific theology is build upon this one verse.

Good luck.
Fine, throw it out. I honestly don't care. But if you have a problem like that, what specific theology is built upon the one verse of the Quran that states Jesus was not crucified? I think it's basically the same.

Bowman

The consensus among scholars is that the Quran states that Jesus did not die on the cross.

Pick one of your googled 'scholars' and show his (or her) reasoning.

If you can't do this, then you have a merit-less assertion.

The Quran even clearly states this, both in English and Arabic.

No it does not.

Bring forth the Arabic for a word-by-word rendering of it brother.

If you can't do this, then you have yet another a merit-less assertion.

love

tri-polar optimist
Was Jesus killed on the cross? Yes.
Was it a terrible death that He suffered being ridiculed and mocked by the very ones who claimed to be His people's path to God? Yes
Was Jesus flesh and blood? Yes.
Did He come into the world from between the thighs of a woman? Yes
Had any man opened her thighs before Him? No.
Did Jesus eat, drink, defecate, and stink if He didn't have a bath? Yes
Did He, In His short ministry speak with absolute authority? Yes
Was His spirit directly from and guided by God? Yes
Did His passage through our death open the doors for us to get busy living and not worry about dying? Yes
Did He leave His spirit to guide all those who love and respect their fellow man? Yes

Those who try to omit "The Sacrifice"try to take away the very foundation of the followers of Christ.
If the One who holds the keys to understanding prays "Father forgive them they know not what they do." sticks up for us even when we are driving nails into His body, most of us shouldn't have any thing to worry about.
But if one has understanding and deliberately leads the flock down the path to destruction they should have plenty to worry about

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Pick one of your googled 'scholars' and show his (or her) reasoning.

If you can't do this, then you have a merit-less assertion.
Are you serious? I don't use Google to find my information. I'm a theology major in school. I have the books. I have the classes. The reason the consensus is this way is because both in the Arabic, and even in the English, it clearly states this.
No it does not.

Bring forth the Arabic for a word-by-word rendering of it brother.

If you can't do this, then you have yet another a merit-less assertion.
Have you done any study on this? Word-by-word renderings don't work. That is not how a translation works. Arabic does not translate easily to English. It does not translate perfectly.

Read the Quran. The English is clear enough. If you look at what the scholars are saying, the consensus is what I'm saying. That Jesus did not die on the cross. So the burden of proof is not on me to prove something that is considered basically fact.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Was it a terrible death that He suffered being ridiculed and mocked by the very ones who claimed to be His people's path to God? Yes
Incorrect. It was the Romans who crucified him, not the Jews. The Jews did not crucify people. Jesus committed a crime against Rome and got the punishment that fit the crime.
Had any man opened her thighs before Him? No.
Now this can't be historically proven. It would be considered a miracle, and by definition, is the least likely thing to occur. However, if you want to accept this virgin birth, why not the virgin birth of the Emperor Augustus? He was from the same time and had the same form of story.
Did He, In His short ministry speak with absolute authority? Yes
Meaning what? He really didn't have a large following. He wasn't important enough to make a large impact during his life to be recorded by anyone. He was just one more failed Messiah.
Did His passage through our death open the doors for us to get busy living and not worry about dying? Yes
One should not have been worried about death even before that. His death simply signified that he failed. The only difference between him and the numerous other failed Messiahs is that he ended up having a following that eventually wrote about him.
Those who try to omit "The Sacrifice"try to take away the very foundation of the followers of Christ.
If the One who holds the keys to understanding prays "Father forgive them they know not what they do." sticks up for us even when we are driving nails into His body, most of us shouldn't have any thing to worry about.
But if one has understanding and deliberately leads the flock down the path to destruction they should have plenty to worry about
Or maybe those who are leading the flock down a different path, are leading them more to a historically accurate Jesus and making those individuals much more mature in their belief system.

Bowman

Are you serious? I don't use Google to find my information. I'm a theology major in school. I have the books. I have the classes. The reason the consensus is this way is because both in the Arabic, and even in the English, it clearly states this.

Busted.

Your assertion is without merit.

Have you done any study on this? Word-by-word renderings don't work.
That is not how a translation works. Arabic does not translate easily to English. It does not translate perfectly.

Yes...I have...and yes, it does...

Care to give it a go....'mr. theology major'....?

Read the Quran. The English is clear enough. If you look at what the scholars are saying, the consensus is what I'm saying. That Jesus did not die on the cross. So the burden of proof is not on me to prove something that is considered basically fact

Busted again, brother.

Come back when you can deliver a answer instead of an excuse...