• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Gay?

Riders

Yeah. There's pretty much nothing about Jesus having sexual feelings or relations with anyone, regardless of gender, even in the apocrypha (that thing about Him kissing Mary Magdalene was taken out of context). I always viewed Jesus as asexual or just an ascetic who wasn't concerned with romantic relationships.

No Mary rubbed ointment into his body thats pretty sexual to me.Also the lost scriptures say he was married to MAry.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Kind of speaks to a pretty big Biblical shortcoming doesn't it.
Im this case it's a short coming of English. Emotionally it's very dry, it's not very expressive, and it's very lazy in how it uses the same word for many things, including emotions that aren't really the same.
Besides, it isn't Jesus who is using the term ". . . love," but the author of John.
"Love" as we know and define it in English isn't understood or in existence in many languages, including Greek, because they didn't use one term to describe what we call love.
But let's bring it strictly to modern English. So, you must *really* love your mother and father then. That's pretty gross. I hope you don't have any kids to love.

....Sound like mere friendship to you?

"Yeshua particularly loved." "whom Jesus was loving." "Jesus loved very much," "Jesus kept loving," "the one Jesus loved dearly," "Jesus specially loved." "Jesus dearly loved"​

Not to me it doesn't. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but the possibility seems to be entirely ignored when it comes to portraying Jesus. I say, let him out of the closet.................."Lots of luck Skwim."

I think Jesus loved all. And Biblical love is nothing sexual. That is why I wouldn’t call anyone "gay" just because he loves.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No Mary rubbed ointment into his body thats pretty sexual to me.Also the lost scriptures say he was married to MAry.
On His feet, as if she were preparing a corpse for burial. Nothing to do with sex at all.

There's nothing saying He was married to anyone, sorry.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
And yet God did, and still does.
You know that verse from Leviticus doesn't translate very well into English, right? It reads something like "do not lie in a woman's bed with a man" or somesuch when you directly translate it into English from Hebrew. Besides, that verse is from the Priestly Code of the Levites, who were the priests and had many more ceremonial and moral laws to uphold than the general population. The death penalty was apparently rarely used for homosexuality in ancient Israel, from what I understand. Doesn't mean people weren't doing it. They didn't have the understanding of sexual orientation that we do today, anyway.

You know that verse from Leviticus doesn't translate very well into English, right? It reads something like "do not lie in a woman's bed with a man" or somesuch when you directly translate it into English from Hebrew. Besides, that verse is from the Priestly Code of the Levites, who were the priests and had many more ceremonial and moral laws to uphold than the general population. The death penalty was apparently rarely used for homosexuality in ancient Israel, from what I understand. Doesn't mean people weren't doing it. They didn't have the understanding of sexual orientation that we do today, anyway.

The scriptural point remains. God abhors fornication, which is a wide-encompassing range of illicit sexual activity that includes homosexuality, heterosexual activity outside of marriage, bestiality, etc......

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The scriptural point remains. God abhors fornication, which is a wide-encompassing range of illicit sexual activity that includes homosexuality, heterosexual activity outside of marriage, bestiality, etc......
Fornication is sex outside of marriage. Gay people can get legally married in many different places now and there's religious groups who will bless them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yep, he sure did. Throughout the Bible consistently. Why do you think it is you're immoral?
Not once. You could not even name a verse that you poorly understood.

And your God is immoral because he makes people gay and then says that they cannot act on that according to you. Homosexuality is not a choice, at least for most. Though there is a spectrum of attraction most tend to be at the extremes of either mostly straight or mostly gay. The only ones that think it is a choice tend to be those that have at least some attraction to the sex that they do not normally practice. In other words straight people that claim homosexuality is a choice are those that have at least some attraction to their own sex. Otherwise homosexuality is a "meh" issue with them. Live and let live. So your God makes men want men and then bans them from acting on that desire. The strongest desire except for breathing and eating that one can have. That is immoral. If God is not immoral (if he exists in the first place) then he can't be anti-homosexuality.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
The conversation is drifting. To me it seems obvious that the scriptures are not so much concerned about physical sex as prevention of the mixing of Jewish culture with vile, warlike idolatrous culture. Almost every time the word 'Fornication' appears in the KJV it is about this (probably every time by may require going beyond the surface reading). The only seeming exception is that men are told not to make their daughters into prostitutes, but I think that the law explains this is to prevent the dilution of Jewish culture with that of the nations around it. Its concerned that this will cause the land to be filled with whoredom, and whoredom is the dilution of Abraham's culture with worldly culture. In Christianity this becomes a prescription to be in the world but not of the world.

Ultimately whoredom and fornication are related to this and not so concerned with physical sex, although there are limitations related to sex both for Jews and for Christians. Christians are not under the law, so they are free. They can do what they think is right. Its an interesting idea.

Its a good idea not to get too stuck on particular laws or place too much importance upon them. Not having sex does not make you a good person. You can't make yourself awesome by not having sex anymore than you can do it by standing on one foot. Its simply not that important either in conscience or in the biblical canon. Lets not guilt trip people about things are not such a big deal. Lets instead emphasize what is important which is how they spend their time and resources. Maybe I don't have sex but I play video games all day. How is that better?

In fact Jewish men are allowed to fornicate under certain conditions, just like Judah is in the story; but they are required to be faithful to their children, to train them in the law. They have duties to their wives. They have to keep their wives happy and make them feel loved. Again, its not a huge deal if two people screw who can't have kids. In Christ, however, this is discouraged. If you're a Christian you should be focused on other things. Jesus would be I think.

Its therefore is a little strange to think of Jesus as a sexual person. He's not married. His mother symbolizes pure spirituality untainted by the world. Of course he's not screwing around with anybody, because he's a symbol of the undiluted essence of Torah.

The leak, here, in my explanation is that I don't know much about the culture that Jesus lives in. I can't say for sure if they really didn't allow male to male physical bonding. Its seems like they didn't, and it appears Paul the apostle to the gentiles believes that Christians should restrict themselves sexually to what is needed and not go beyond that. He believes marriage to be necessary for children, and he believes that sexal desire is an internal force to be conquered or compromised with. From this other more extreme church writers say some extreme things like "Sex is evil." Obviously not. Obviously its neither evil nor particularly good, which is why Jesus is probably not having sex. Its not particularly good.

Not once. You could not even name a verse that you poorly understood.

And your God is immoral because he makes people gay and then says that they cannot act on that according to you. Homosexuality is not a choice, at least for most. Though there is a spectrum of attraction most tend to be at the extremes of either mostly straight or mostly gay. The only ones that think it is a choice tend to be those that have at least some attraction to the sex that they do not normally practice. In other words straight people that claim homosexuality is a choice are those that have at least some attraction to their own sex. Otherwise homosexuality is a "meh" issue with them. Live and let live. So your God makes men want men and then bans them from acting on that desire. The strongest desire except for breathing and eating that one can have. That is immoral. If God is not immoral (if he exists in the first place) then he can't be anti-homosexuality.

So now that we have you admitting your utter and complete ignorance where it comes to the Bible, perhaps that can be built on. God never has made anyone gay. He isn't a hypocrite, making them to be one way and turning around and condemning their actions and lifestyle. He created marriage to be between a man and woman and sexual activity to be confined within that arrangement. Anything else is abhorrent to him. Homosexuality IS a choice, regardless of you or anyone else putting forth futile arguments to the contrary. It's the most infantile and immature individual who puts out unsupported garbage statements like "the ones who are against homosexuality must be slightly homosexual themselves". Do grow up.

No, my God does not make men want men. Immoral is going against God's established moral standards. Immoral is also you trying to justify people ignoring those moral standards when you have no basis for doing so. As a just and moral God, he has every right to tell mankind that homosexuality is wrong. You have no place to tell him He is wrong.