• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Gay?

Skwim

Veteran Member
This implies some favoritism for a disciple, and I am not sure what the point is.
As I've tried to make quite clear, the point is that the Bible very strongly suggest that Jesus and a particular disciple had a homosexual relationship; maybe physical, maybe not.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Jesus was a Jew, living under the same Law that the nation of Israel did during his time on earth. That Law expressly forbade homosexuality to the point that it carried the death penalty for those who engaged in it. Jesus died as a perfect, sinless man. So no, he wasn't gay. Jesus' love for his disciples and apostles had nothing to do with romantic feelings. It was a love that good friends have for one another, a close bond. That's it.
Homosexual relationships need not involve sex.

As I've tried to make quite clear, the point is that the Bible very strongly suggest that Jesus and a particular disciple had a homosexual relationship; maybe physical, maybe not..

Not even in the slightest kind of way does the Bible imply or suggest Jesus was involved in any kind of homosexual relationship. It takes a great deal of ignorance and stupidity to claim otherwise.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Not even in the slightest kind of way does the Bible imply or suggest Jesus was involved in any kind of homosexual relationship. It takes a great deal of ignorance and stupidity to claim otherwise.
Call me stupid and ignorant all you want, but the Bible itself strongly indicates otherwise. And to say, "Not even in the slightest kind of way does the Bible imply or suggest Jesus was involved in any kind of homosexual relationship." demonstrates a pathetic bias devoid of any rationality. But that's okay, I know you have a lot of company.

images

Call me stupid and ignorant all you want, but the Bible itself strongly indicates otherwise. And to say, "Not even in the slightest kind of way does the Bible imply or suggest Jesus was involved in any kind of homosexual relationship." demonstrates a pathetic bias devoid of any rationality. But that's okay, I know you have a lot of company.

Your statements are what's stupid and ignorant, as the Bible clearly points out. A pathetic bias devoid of any rationality is what would move a person to claim something as ridiculous as what you've stated. Unfortunately you're not alone in having that.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
As I've tried to make quite clear, the point is that the Bible very strongly suggest that Jesus and a particular disciple had a homosexual relationship; maybe physical, maybe not.

'Homosexual' implies sexual arousal or attraction, and you don't have anything to support that claim. Our culture is somewhat obsessed with sex and with pride, but Jesus does not seem to be. He is humble and he is affectionate. That doesn't imply sex. A homosexual relationship for Jesus also doesn't seem to fit with the agenda of the gospel writer (John).

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Simply consider.

Not to me it doesn't. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but the possibility seems to be entirely ignored when it comes to portraying Jesus. I say, let him out of the closet.................."Lots of luck Skwim."

You blasphemer! Repent! He was married to Mary Magdalene!

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Simply consider.

"The phrase "the disciple whom Jesus loved" . . . or, in John 20:2 the disciple beloved of Jesus . . . is used six times in the Gospel of John, but in no other New Testament accounts of Jesus. John 21:24 states that the Gospel of John is based on the written testimony of this disciple."
Source: Wikipedia
The six references to the disciple whom Jesus loved as referred to in John's gospel:
[sources: Wikipedia and KJV]

It is this disciple who, while reclining beside Jesus at the Last Supper, asks Jesus who it is that will betray him, after being requested by Peter to do so.[Jn 13:23-25]
23 Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
24 Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
25 He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
Later at the crucifixion, Jesus tells his mother, "Woman, here is your son", and to the Beloved Disciple he says, "Here is your mother."[Jn 19:26-27]
26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
When Mary Magdalene discovers the empty tomb, she runs to tell the Beloved Disciple and Peter. The two men rush to the empty tomb and the Beloved Disciple is the first to reach it. However, Peter is the first to enter.[Jn 20:1-2]
1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
In John 21, the last chapter of the Gospel of John, the Beloved Disciple is one of seven fishermen involved in the miraculous catch of 153 fish.[Jn 21:7]
7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.
Also in the book's final chapter, after Jesus implies the manner in which Peter will die, Peter sees the Beloved Disciple following them and asks, "What about him?" Jesus answers, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me."[John 21:20-23]
20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?
Again in the Gospel's last chapter, it states that the very book itself is based on the written testimony of the disciple whom Jesus loved.[John 21:24]
24 This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.

And here is how this disciple is described in just one verse, John 13:23, in various Bibles

"whom Jesus loved."
"the one Yeshua particularly loved"
"the one Jesus loved"
"The disciple Jesus loved"
"the one whom Jesus loved"
"the one whom Jesus was loving."
"the one Jesus loved very much"
"the follower Jesus loved"
"the one whom Jesus kept loving"
"that one of them who Jesus loved,"
"One of the disciples, the one Jesus loved dearly"
"the one Jesus specially loved"
"The disciple that Jesus dearly loved"

Sound like mere friendship to you?

"Yeshua particularly loved." "whom Jesus was loving." "Jesus loved very much," "Jesus kept loving," "the one Jesus loved dearly," "Jesus specially loved." "Jesus dearly loved"​

Not to me it doesn't. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but the possibility seems to be entirely ignored when it comes to portraying Jesus. I say, let him out of the closet.................."Lots of luck Skwim."

He that wedded not (Jesus) found no place wherein to dwell or lay His head, by reason of that which the hands of the treacherous had wrought. His sanctity consisteth not in that which ye believe or fancy, but rather in the things We possess."

(Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. 96)

Jesus love was a pure love born of God and so were His disciples.

So when reading the Bible, when and when can't we assume words mean what they mean?.
When you like to think critically and don't want to be wrong about something you could easily check for yourself?

Why the assumption, "No doubt . . . ."?

Why the assumption that Jesus didn't use a term that specifically signifies erotic love? It's not like the Bible has been studied much, perhaps no one noticed until now.

Anyway, it was actually in the article you quoted in the OP, you just missed it out.

The phrase "the disciple whom Jesus loved" (Greek: ὁ μαθητὴς ὃν ἠγάπα ὁ Ἰησοῦς, ho mathētēs hon ēgapā ho Iēsous) or, in John 20:2, the disciple beloved of Jesus (Greek: ὃν ἐφίλει ὁ Ἰησοῦς, hon ephilei ho Iēsous) is used six times in the Gospel of John,[1] but in no other New Testament accounts of Jesus. John 21:24 states that the Gospel of John is based on the written testimony of this disciple.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Jesus was a Jew, living under the same Law that the nation of Israel did during his time on earth. That Law expressly forbade homosexuality to the point that it carried the death penalty for those who engaged in it. Jesus died as a perfect, sinless man. So no, he wasn't gay. Jesus' love for his disciples and apostles had nothing to do with romantic feelings. It was a love that good friends have for one another, a close bond. That's it.
The Bible only immorally bands the act. One cannot ban homosexuality.