• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus crucified on a Friday or on any other day of the week?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The first time Jesus speaks in the first person in this book is in Re 1:11, we learn this because the speaker both John and the speaker identify him in the following verses.

Let's read Re 1:4,5a together, please.

John to the seven congregations that are in the province of Asia: May you have undeserved kindness and peace from "the One who is and who was and who is coming" (the one mentioned in vs 8) and from the seven spirits (Re 4:5) that are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, "the Faithful Witness," (Re 3:14) "the firstborn from the dead," (Col 1:18) and "the Ruler of the kings of the earth." (Ps 89:27; 1 Tim 6:15)

Verse 7 continues about Jesus, "Look! He is coming...." It does not say, "I am coming." John is still writing

I can not see how the sentence fragment "is to come" or "who is coming" in verse 8 defines the speaker as Jesus. This fragment in its entirety is "the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty." Does that not remind us of this passage?

Before the mountains were born
Or you brought forth the earth and the productive land,
From everlasting to everlasting, you are God.
- Psalm 90:2
Basically a good rundown... but let's look further.

2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ,and of all things that he saw

Behold , he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Up to here, John is speaking and, as we can see, it is all about Jesus.

Now we have a change of tone:

8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Obviously, this isn't speaking about John. Up until now, it has all been about Jesus and vs 9 continues about Jesus.

We know that John isn't the Alpha and Omega. We know that the Jesus does have the designation as Lord.

We also understand according to 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus" it is the Lord Jesus who is to come. Simple application of logic brings us to the reality that the one who was, and is, and is to come is Jesus, the Alpha and the Omega.

Kolibri

Up to here, John is speaking and, as we can see, it is all about Jesus.

Not quite, but true once we finally get to Jesus by name in verse 4.

We know that the Jesus does have the designation as Lord.

We also know that Jehovah is called a "Lord" or "master." (Eze 3:11) The use of the word Lord in vs 8 cannot tie Jesus to being the speaker anymore than the words "who is coming" does. Jehovah too is said to be coming in the scriptures. (Isaiah 40:10) What separates this from Jesus is the word "Almighty". Jehovah,or Heavenly Father is the speaker as per Ex 6:3.

"And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them."

Jehovah is not the Son's name but the Father's.

Is this the way that you should treat Jehovah,
O foolish and unwise people?
Is he not your Father who caused your existence,
The One who made you and firmly established you?
- Deuteronomy 32:6

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Not quite, but true once we finally get to Jesus by name in verse 4.

We also know that Jehovah is called a "Lord" or "master." (Eze 3:11) The use of the word Lord in vs 8 cannot tie Jesus to being the speaker anymore than the words "who is coming" does. Jehovah too is said to be coming in the scriptures. (Isaiah 40:10) What separates this from Jesus is the word "Almighty". Jehovah,or Heavenly Father is the speaker as per Ex 6:3.

"And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them."

Jehovah is not the Son's name but the Father's.

Is this the way that you should treat Jehovah,
O foolish and unwise people?
Is he not your Father who caused your existence,
The One who made you and firmly established you?
- Deuteronomy 32:6

You missed the issue completely... it is still Jesus who is coming back, the Alpha and the Omega

And, yes, they share the same title Lord.

God is Jehovah Rophi and by the stripes of Jesus we are healed
God is Jehovah Tsidkenu and Jesus is made unto us Righteousness
God is Jehovah Nissi and we are more that conquerers and reign by one Christ Jesus
God is Jehovah M'Kaddesh and Jesus is made unto us Sanctification
God is Jehovah Rohi and Jesus is our Pastor.

God is Lord and so Is Jesus

They are one together.

Last edited:

Kolibri

You missed the issue completely... it is still Jesus who is coming back, the Alpha and the Omega

And, yes, they share the same title Lord.

God is Jehovah Rophi and by the stripes of Jesus we are healed
God is Jehovah Tsidkenu and Jesus is made unto us Righteousness
God is Jehovah Nissi and we are more that conquerers and reign by one Christ Jesus
God is Jehovah M'Kaddesh and Jesus is made unto us Sanctification
God is Jehovah Rohi and Jesus is our Pastor.

God is Lord and so Is Jesus

They are one together.

This is where doctrine interprets scripture instead of the other way around. This is where I bow out of the debate.

rstrats

Kolibri,
re: " We do know Jesus was dead for a portion of day and night of Nisan 14..."

There was no portion of night involved on the 14th since the night time had ended at sunrise at the beginning of the daylight portion of the 14th.

re: "Is this enough reason to discredit the reference to Jonah?"

I don't understand. Please explain.

Kolibri

Kolibri,
re: " We do know Jesus was dead for a portion of day and night of Nisan 14..."

There was no portion of night involved on the 14th since the night time had ended at sunrise at the beginning of the daylight portion of the 14th.

re: "Is this enough reason to discredit the reference to Jonah?"

I don't understand. Please explain.

I stand corrected on the 14th. I glitched. I knew that the 14th ended at sundown and somehow I was breaking the night into 2 halves like we do currently.

As regards the 2nd re:, isn't this whole 3 days debate is over the fulfillment of Jesus' words at Mt 12:39,40?

"In reply he said to them: 'A wicked and adulterous (or "unfaithful.") generation keeps on seeking a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish for three days and three nights, so the Son of man will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights."

Jesus was not in the ground for a portion of 3 days and a portion of 3 nights, but he was in the ground for a portion of 3 - 24 hour periods. From this we can assume that this is all fiction and means nothing but an error on the writer's part, or that the idea of 3 days and 3 nights is understood by the community to mean a portion of 3 days. Jesus' enemies seemed to understand it as the later as they are recorded as saying to Pilate: "Sir, we recall what that imposter said while he was still alive, 'After three days I am to be raised up.'" (Mt 27:63)

peacecrusader888

Significance or importance of crucifixion

I would like to share to you what the spirit of Ama said about the significance or importance of the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ.
The original text in Filipino is inhttp://aristean.org/transcript001.hm. You may hear the audio inhttp://aristean.org/e01b-pah3.mp3.

Here is my translation to English:

"The first and unique answer there [the cross of martyrdom] is to bear the suffering. Endure the suffering. Do not just throw away the cross. How do you throw away your cross of suffering? Disregard it. Deem not to understand it. This is what is meant by throwing away the cross, and not the place of suffering. Is that how we have to treat it? No.

"Pray and ask God to remove these sufferings, and resolve the difficulties, which are supposed to be our happiness.

"Therefore, Jesus is showing and showed humanity how He loves people.

"Jesus showed how people should bear sufferings.

"Jesus showed patience.

"Jesus showed how important every human soul is. For if the soul of man is worthless, He would not have accepted to be crucified.

"Why is His accepting to be crucified He was able to explain how important the human soul is? Because of the sins of man, because of the sins of man which can’t be avoided, Jesus did the bearing of the sufferings.

"He showed people that because He is God who loves the people, and He became incarnate, He showed what people should do. That is what it means. This is what you should do. Bear the sufferings.

“So He showed how He accepted the scourging.

“He showed how he accepted the crucifixion nails.

“He showed that He died.

“But He also showed that He resurrected after He died.

“So Jesus Christ accepted the crucifixion nails to show how much man must bear sufferings. Accordingly, Jesus Christ accepted the crucifixion nails until He died, that man must endure until he dies. And Jesus also showed that He resurrected and that is what will happen to people, that when man endures hardships and sufferings until he dies, this person will be resurrected to be with him.”

jtartar

The Roman Catholic Church and some other religious groups believe that Jesus was crucified on a Friday (Good Friday) and resurrected on Sunday (Easter)? Are these correct?

Peacecrusader888,
Jesus gave gave his life as a ransom sacrifice to all who would recognize him as the son of God, and the Messiah, Christ in Greek.
There are some things that many do not understand about Jesus' death.
In the Roman days, the Jews started their days at sundown. It was indeed, a Friday that Jesus died, but I just a short while after he was removed from the Tree, Saturday, The Sabbath, started. Jesus was resurrected on Sunday just a little before sunup.
So, Jesus died in late in the day of Friday, he was in the grave all of The Sabbath, Saturday, and was resurrected on Sunday before sunup, which means that Jesus was in the grave parts of three days, part of Fri, all od Sat, part of Sun.
Remember that the disciples went to Pontius Pilate to ask for Jesus' body, because The Sabbath Day was about to start, Deut 21:22,23. This particular Sabbath was. Great Sabbath, because

peacecrusader888

Peacecrusader888,
Jesus gave gave his life as a ransom sacrifice to all who would recognize him as the son of God, and the Messiah, Christ in Greek.
There are some things that many do not understand about Jesus' death.
In the Roman days, the Jews started their days at sundown. It was indeed, a Friday that Jesus died, but I just a short while after he was removed from the Tree, Saturday, The Sabbath, started. Jesus was resurrected on Sunday just a little before sunup.
So, Jesus died in late in the day of Friday, he was in the grave all of The Sabbath, Saturday, and was resurrected on Sunday before sunup, which means that Jesus was in the grave parts of three days, part of Fri, all od Sat, part of Sun.
Remember that the disciples went to Pontius Pilate to ask for Jesus' body, because The Sabbath Day was about to start, Deut 21:22,23. This particular Sabbath was. Great Sabbath, because
@jtartar
You must be a Jehovah’s Witness to say that Jesus was hanged on a “Tree”, am I correct?
You say that Jesus was three days in the sepulcher. You say that part of Friday was one day, all of Saturday was another day, and part of Sunday was another day. That is only about 36 hours. But Matthew 12:40 says about 72 hours, to wit: “so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” It says “three days and three nights” and not three days. Where are your nights?