• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Christ a Vegetarian or a non Vegetarian ?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Valentinus says Jesus ate in a special way. Taking in only what he needed to exist physically, not even enough to poop.

He was continent, enduring all things. Jesus digested divinity; he ate and drank in a special way, without excreting his solids. He had such a great capacity for continence that the nourishment within him was not corrupted, for he did not experience corruption.- Valentinus

FWIW.
Wow. That's an amazing bit of mythology I had never heard before! Awesome. :) I'm trying to imagine the bit of psychology in his thinking, say being hung up at the anal stage of development which fixates on one's own poop. Jesus was perfect, so he didn't poop, because poop is "sin", and all that.

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
We know from the Bible that he ate fish, so he wasn't a vegetarian. I guess he ate the same food as the other people at that time in that region. I don't think vegetarianism was a thing back then.

Dan Bruce

Jesus observed the Law, and specifically the Passover as prescribed in Exodus, and that included eating the Paschal lamb. So, Jesus was not a vegetarian. He ate meat.

toyabacus

Jesus observed the Law, and specifically the Passover as prescribed in Exodus, and that included eating the Paschal lamb. So, Jesus was not a vegetarian. He ate meat.
Yes but not daily, so he is a omnivore, not carnivore, in nature; eating vegetables more than meat (annually or forte- monthly).

Let us do a thought experiment. Suppose Jesus is not a fictional character or a religious leader who was made into a direct incarnation of God. According to Zarathustra, the first well-known monotheist, all sentient creatures are His children and because He loves His children it is forbidden to kill sentient creatures for such use of their body parts as food, leather, gelatin, enzymes use in the manufacture of most cheeses, etc. This makes sense because the Heisenberg indeterminacy proved that the laws of physics are only laws of probability (that resemble classical Newtonian mechanics at the scale much above that of individual electrons in atoms.) This means that the electron transitions in the neuro-chemical processes of consciousness are not perfectly determined; there is a measure of free will in every creature that has a conscious brain. This free will endows even fish with an intrinsic dignity that forbids killing them for food. We are assuming that Jesus was so connected to God that he would know this. That Jesus never studied quantum mechanics would be no excuse.
There is no such thing as a perfect scripture the author of which got some sort of free ride from God to guarantee that it is infallible, especially when language itself is so imperfect and if the missing details of Jesus life were filled in by assumptions about him that are not recorder, it is most likely that the authors just assumed that this perfect incarnation of God conformed to such practices as eating fish because the possibility that fish suffer never occurred to them

Reactions: Mox

Mox

Dr Green Fingers
This means that the electron transitions in the neuro-chemical processes of consciousness are not perfectly determined; there is a measure of free will in every creature that has a conscious brain.

Quantum indeterminacy = free will?

Sorry, your post caught my brain's attention. :p

Mox

Dr Green Fingers
Would a perfect being, intimately connected with the creator/creation of all life, eat a sentient creature that had lost it's life unnecessarily, to fill his guts with meat?
I say unecessarily because after all, humans can live quite healthily, to a ripe old age, on a well balanced vegetarian diet.

abrother

Was Jesus Christ a Vegetarian or a non Vegetarian ?

Greetings,
Jesus followed the Torah, and is likely to have carried a copy with him-- the Torah is a book of Law. The Torah is very specific about what we should eat:

"...And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat..." (Gen. 1:29)

Kirran

Premium Member
@chinu - I get the feeling there's a point you wanna establish - would you mind sharing your own views on this topic?

Dan Bruce

Yes but not daily, so he is a omnivore, not carnivore, in nature; eating vegetables more than meat (annually or forte- monthly).

We don't know from Scripture how often he ate red meat, but we do know that he observed the Passover as prescribed in Torah, so he ate red meat at least once a year, which means he was not vegetarian by conviction. He voiced no objection to eating lamb. I think that eating red meat regularly was probably reserved for the wealthy in the society of Jesus' time, so his diet was probably mostly vegetables and fish.

Last edited: