• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus a vegetarian?

Ori

Angel slayer
I don't think Jesus was a vegeterian, but it's not like I have proof is it?

I'm a veggie, but people do what they must do.

joeboonda

Luke 24:41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
24:43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

According to scripture, Jesus ate fish.

The Bible says not to judge anyone in meat. Whether they eat it or not, don't judge them either way.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Jesus was likely a vegetarian. Certainly, his brother, James, was, why would he be raised in a different manner?

Respected Bible scholar Rev. V.A. Holmes-Gore has researched the frequent use of the word "meat" in the New Testament Gospels. He traced its meaning to the original Greek.
His findings were first published in World Forum of Autumn, 1947. He reveals that the nineteen Gospel references to "meat" should have been more accurately translated thus:
Greek word, number of references and actual meaning.
  • Broma 4 "Food"​
  • Brosis 4 "The act of eating"​
  • Phago 3 "to eat"​
  • Brosimos 1 "That which is eaten"​
  • Trophe 6 "Nourishment"​
  • Prosphagon 1 "Anything to eat"​
Thus, the Authorized Version of John 21:5, .'Have ye any meat?" is incorrect. It should have been translated: "Have ye anything to eat?"

"Fish" is another frequently mistranslated word in the Bible. Its reference is often not to the form of swimming life, but to the symbol by which early Christians could identify each other. It was a secret sign, needed in times of persecution, prior to official acceptance of Christianity as a state religion.
The sign of the fish was a mystical symbol and conversational password. Its name deriving from the Greek word for fish, "ichthus" Much later it was represented an acrostic, composed of leading letters of the Greek phrase, "Iesous Christos Theou Uios Soter"-"Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour."
Frequent references to fish are intended as symbolic of The Christ and have nothing to do with the act of eating a dead fish. But the symbol of the fish did not meet with Roman approval. They preferred the sign of the cross, choosing to concentrate more on the death of Christ than on His brilliant life. Perhaps this is one reason only ten percent of His life record appears in the canonical scriptures. Most of His first thirty years has been omitted.

Genesis 1:29-30:
"And God said, Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree-yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is a living soul, I have given every green herb for food: and it was so."

Isaiah 11:6-9. "The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea."

In Eden, and, up until the Flood, man had only plants to eat. It was only after the Flood that God gave meats to the people, and only out of necessity. Clearly, in Eden, his preferred society, vegetarianism was the way.

As well, in Heaven, according to Isaiah, none shall hurt or destroy. Even lions will be vegetarian. Another sign that God would prefer vegetarianism.

Many Biblical scholars believe Jesus was a member of the Nazarene Essenes, a Jewish religious sect that followed a vegetarian diet and rejected animal sacrifices. This is possible when one looks at the Shroud of Turin, a centuries old linen cloth that bears the image of a crucified man, whom many believe to be Jesus. If Jesus was indeed a member of the Nazarene Essenes, he would also have taken the vow of a Nazarene, thus not cut his hair (Numbers 6:5). In the imprint found in the shroud of turin, there is a man with west-asian features (Nazareth is in west Asia), who has long hair, further supporting the claim Jesus was a member of the Nazarene Essenes.

What about Fish?
In the 14th chapter of Matthew (verses 13-21) Jesus takes his boat to a remote island. Thousands follow him there. Jesus tells his disciples to feed these people, but the tell him that they only have five loaves of bread and two fish (verse 17). Jesus gave thanks for the food, and it multiplied into enough to feed five thousand people. Now the question is, if Jesus was a vegetarian, why was he giving fish to his followers?

It should be noted that some scholars contend that the Greek word for "fish weed" (a dried seaweed) has been mistranslated in this story as "fish". It is certainly true that dried fishweed would be more likely in a basket with bread, and fishweed remains a popular food among Palestinian peasants like the people to whom Jesus was speaking. Also, in the beginning of the story (Matthew 14:13) it says Jesus got to this place by boat. These people were right by the sea. If they were out of fish, why not just go on a quick fishing expedition? Surely with 5,000 men present it would not be that hard to go fishing. With this in mind, it further supports the thought that fishweed was being used, not actual fish.

"I require mercy, not sacrifice" (Matthew 9:13 & 12:7)
This is a significant message when we remember that in the context in which this was said meat eating was commonly considered part of these sacrifices. Sacrificial offerings often entailed meat consumption and a strict reading of Leviticus 17: implies that, indeed, all meat consumption necessitated a sacrifice. Also, the noted confrontation of Jesus in the Temple suggests that he was not at all pleased by the desecration of the Temple by the money changers AND by "those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons" (John 2:14-15) since these animals were being sold for sacrifice before being eaten.

Eusebius says that James the brother of Jesus was a vegetarian, and in fact was evidently raised as a vegetarian (Ecclesiastical History 2.23). Why would Jesus’ parents have raised James as a vegetarian, unless they were vegetarian themselves and raised Jesus as a vegetarian as well? Eusebius also states (Proof of the Gospel 3.5) that all the apostles abstained from meat and wine.

-All quotes from www.thenazareneway.com, www.jesusveg.org, and/or www.compassianatespirit.com.

James was raised as a vegetarian. His parents were likely vegetarian. Why would they have raised Jesus any different?

(Don't think I'm attacking anyone or anything here. I'm just presenting information. Hell, I don't even believe in this God, or this Bible.)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Druidus said:
Jesus was likely a vegetarian. Certainly, his brother, James, was, why would he be raised in a different manner?

<...>

James was raised as a vegetarian. His parents were likely vegetarian. Why would they have raised Jesus any different?
There is nothing in scripture that says anything like this. All the scriptural references presented are speculation as to how references to meat might mean something else and references to fish might actually be references to seaweed and how Jesus might have also been mad about the sacrifices... :rolleyes: The only real "evidence" that you present is that "Eusebius said so."

"Eusebius says that James the brother of Jesus was a vegetarian, and in fact was evidently raised as a vegetarian (Ecclesiastical History 2.23). Why would Jesus’ parents have raised James as a vegetarian, unless they were vegetarian themselves and raised Jesus as a vegetarian as well? Eusebius also states (Proof of the Gospel 3.5) that all the apostles abstained from meat and wine."

Eusebius was born about 260 C.E. In other words, over 220 years after Jesus' death. How does Eusebius know what Jesus' brother ate? Because he certainly doesn't know it from scripture. And if there were some documented evidence closer to Jesus' time, why isn't that presented instead of the writings of a man 220 years afterwards? If you're going to accept Eusebius here, are you prepared to accept everything else Eusebius said as also true? If not, why not? If we are going to start citing hearsay as evidence just because we like what's being said, I guarantee you that you will be opening the door for stuff that you don't like too.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
There is nothing in scripture that says anything like this. All the scriptural references presented are speculation as to how references to meat might mean something else and references to fish might actually be references to seaweed and how Jesus might have also been mad about the sacrifices... :rolleyes: The only real "evidence" that you present is that "Eusebius said so."

"Eusebius says that James the brother of Jesus was a vegetarian, and in fact was evidently raised as a vegetarian (Ecclesiastical History 2.23). Why would Jesus’ parents have raised James as a vegetarian, unless they were vegetarian themselves and raised Jesus as a vegetarian as well? Eusebius also states (Proof of the Gospel 3.5) that all the apostles abstained from meat and wine."

Eusebius was born about 260 C.E. In other words, over 220 years after Jesus' death. How does Eusebius know what Jesus' brother ate? Because he certainly doesn't know it from scripture. And if there were some documented evidence closer to Jesus' time, why isn't that presented instead of the writings of a man 220 years afterwards? If you're going to accept Eusebius here, are you prepared to accept everything else Eusebius said as also true? If not, why not? If we are going to start citing hearsay as evidence just because we like what's being said, I guarantee you that you will be opening the door for stuff that you don't like too.

Just because certain books are removed from Gospel doesn't destroy their historical significance. Not all original scripture is still scripture. Practically anything in the Bible is speculation.

Jesus was never shown to eat meat in the Bible, at least not without logical controversy over the translation of the word.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Druidus said:
Just because certain books are removed from Gospel doesn't destroy their historical significance. Not all original scripture is still scripture.
Eusebius' writings were never considered to be scripture.

Druidus said:
Practically anything in the Bible is speculation.

Jesus was never shown to eat meat in the Bible, at least not without logical controversy over the translation of the word.
Jesus was never shown to take a dump in the Bible either. Does that mean he didn't? Unless there is actual mention of him doing something unusual, it is far more logical to assume that he did what normal Jewish men did in his time. Vegetarianism was not usual.

If you want to argue that none of this can be proven either way, I agree. We can't even prove that Jesus really existed. You either accept what's written in scripture or you don't. Even if you think it's completely fictional, you still maintain the integrity of the character. One can't just make things up to suit one's own preferences - motivated by the belief that somehow this morally validates one's own views. (The people here arguing that Jesus was vegetarian aren't even Christian!) Where does it end? Why can't I then say that Jesus' favorite color was chartreuse? It doesn't say so in the Bible, but I'm just going to speculate that he had a penchant for greens and yellows, and certainly no where in the bible does it say otherwise so therefore it must be true. My argument is just as ridiculous, but at least there is no moral agenda.

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
just to prove humans are pretty much 98% herbivore :p i am a vegan and hate any form of animal crulty wicca - an ye harm none do what ye will as for jesus and christiantity it teaches to love mankind love your brother and sister but not cows or pigs or other lifeforms. :p

I love it when the ignorant act smart.

Now, if you recall the passage from the bible thats states, "just as god loves the lillies of the field, how much more he does you?" (that wanst completely accurate)

This shows you that is god loves plants (its pretty ahrd for humans to love plants), then why would that stop him from loving all his creatures.

Now take into account we try to do what god wants, and when god loves something so do we.

Also note that there is nothing wrong with eating animals. eating meat is just as bad as eating plants. if we completely stopped eating animals we would see a massive overpopulation of animals in whte world, ther5efore combined with our foresting etc.; the destruction of plants massively. This would watrp the food chaion, which cannot be allowed. we should stick to what we eat now, and keep a balance i n what we eat.

alexander garcia

Hi, I only read the frist pageand the last writer was the only one to even look at the question in light of scripture. Yes by law Messiyah had to eat the passover every year so it is impossible in light of scripture to say he was a vegitarian. Also he ate fish. But as to in the beginning Last few verses of the first chapter of Gen. all things were made to eat the green of the Earth. not till the fall of Adam did meat come into the picture.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
We discussed this issue in the Paganism forum as well, but I want to address it here as well, even though I think you know what I mean lol. :wink: We have to eat something, and many who are vegetarian or vegan are so because they are concerned about the impact their diet has on the whole environment around us, including the animals, and they believe that by eating a vegetarian or vegan diet, they are having the least amount of impact as possible. Although I guess I do look at plants I eat a little differently, however I would not say I don't think they are any less important, if anything, they are MORE important to me personally, because they keep me alive! But it's more like an appreciation for the life-giving qualities they provide my body. I can look at things like broccoli, green leafy lettuce, brussel sprouts, onions, fruits and beans and see the life and energy they have that transfers to me when I eat it, but when I look at a dead animal, all I see is a rotting corpse.

Much as I hate to think it, I believe we were meant to eat meat, as well as vegetables, fruit etc.

Just look at nature; the animals that depend on meat for protein.

I don't like the idea (much as I don't like the idea of eating vedgetable or fruits); but, as you say, we have to eat to live. The only thing I can do, to appease my conscience is to give due thanks and honour to the life that was sacrificed for my nourishment (and that does include vegetation).

akshar

Maize said:
As some of you know, I am a vegetarian and this is something that is very important in my life. While I'm not Christian, I certainly try to follow Jesus' example of love, compassion and mercy and those things are part of the reason I do not consume meat. So, I find it interesting that when I tell people I am vegetarian and the various reasons why I am, I get the most resistance and even outrage from those who claim to follow Jesus' teachings, which is very confusing to me.

But anyway, there are those who believe that Jesus was vegetarian and even if ihe wasn't, he would be one today because of how we treat the animals that end up on the dinner plate. That being said, if it was proven that Jesus was a vegetarian, should all Christians be vegetarians as well?

Also, it has been said to me on more than one occasion that according to the Bible, God gave Man animals to eat and to do with as he pleased and that by not eating them, one is going against the will of God. Any thoughts on this? Do you believe that's true?

Lastly, I know that other religions believe in not eating meat and I'm interested in hearing about those religions and there reasons for being vegetarian, or having a mostly vegetarian diet.

No, jesus ate fish, many of disciples were fisherman, i think it was boiled something.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Luke 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

I'm pretty sure He ate Lamb at the passover feasts.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I think mankind has been living to comfortable an existance when people decide they're not going to eat certain foods just because they feel sorry for the animals. I'm sorry to break it to you, but the way that complex organisms sustain themselves is by consuming less complex organisms. You'll never see a tiger eating tofu. Most evolutionary scientists agree that a switch in diets from herbivorous to omnivorous is what helped early primates to develop larger and more complex brains, leading to us. I find it HIGHLY UNLIKELY that Jesus was a vegitarian because people of his time didn't have that kind of a luxury, you ate whatever was available.

"Its OK to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings" - Kurt Cobain

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Maize said:
As some of you know, I am a vegetarian and this is something that is very important in my life. While I'm not Christian, I certainly try to follow Jesus' example of love, compassion and mercy and those things are part of the reason I do not consume meat. So, I find it interesting that when I tell people I am vegetarian and the various reasons why I am, I get the most resistance and even outrage from those who claim to follow Jesus' teachings, which is very confusing to me.
Yes, I find it to be quite a shocker when real life Christians respond completely contrary to how I expect them to. Many modern Christians try and fuse Christianity with conservitave American values and right-wing politics, often with mixed results.
But anyway, there are those who believe that Jesus was vegetarian and even if ihe wasn't, he would be one today because of how we treat the animals that end up on the dinner plate. That being said, if it was proven that Jesus was a vegetarian, should all Christians be vegetarians as well?
I'm not sure how anyone would go about proving Jesus's dietary habits. I know Christians should try to follow Jesus's teachings, but I see no need to become little clones of him.
Also, it has been said to me on more than one occasion that according to the Bible, God gave Man animals to eat and to do with as he pleased and that by not eating them, one is going against the will of God. Any thoughts on this? Do you believe that's true?
I find this additude to be very arrogant. The idea that animals are just alive to be eaten and do our chores is disgusting.
Lastly, I know that other religions believe in not eating meat and I'm interested in hearing about those religions and there reasons for being vegetarian, or having a mostly vegetarian diet.
Man is an omnivore. This is a biological fact. However, I also consider life to be sacred and I respect the decision of those who choose not to eat meat.

ps. you turned my letters funny colors....

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
blessed said:
just to prove humans are pretty much 98% herbivore :p i am a vegan and hate any form of animal crulty wicca - an ye harm none do what ye will as for jesus and christiantity it teaches to love mankind love your brother and sister but not cows or pigs or other lifeforms. :p

The following info comes from "The Comparative Anatomy of Eating", by Milton R. Mills, M.D.
Hi blessed. :)
While your description of the human body is for the most part factual, it is also very misleading. It does not take into account exactly how humans eat. In nature, Carnivores tear flesh from bone or just eat large chunks using only their stong jaws and teeth. Apes use their hands to manipulate our food, therefor strong jaws and teeth are less important. This is emphasis on the hands is especially apparent in humans. Humans are also the onyl animals that cook our food, and we have been doing this for some time. Becuase of our eating habits we don't possess many of the traits common to other omnivores.

Random

If Jesus was an Essene or trained by them, he was a vegatarian. I think he probably was. The Western mystic Vladimir Antonov expounded upon the benefits of a vegatarian diet and believed as did the ascetic Essenes that all diseases could be traced back and attributed to dietary causes, especially eating of the flesh of dead animals. This and other interesting articles can be found on a website called the Original Teachings of Jesus Christ which features essays on these matters here. Some Esoteric Christian sects like the Nazorean Church of Christ also practice vegatarianism.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Was Jesus a vegetarian?
Hmmmm? Wasn't he involved in the distribution of loaves and FISHES?

Mt:14:17: And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves, and two fishes.
Mt:14:19: And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.
Mt:15:34: And Jesus saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? And they said, Seven, and a few little fishes.
Mt:15:36: And he took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.
Mk:6:38: He saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? go and see. And when they knew, they say, Five, and two fishes.
Mk:6:41: And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all.
Mk:6:43: And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments, and of the fishes.
Mk:8:7: And they had a few small fishes: and he blessed, and commanded to set them also before them.
Lk:5:6: And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
Lk:5:9: For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:
Lk:9:13: But he said unto them, Give ye them to eat. And they said, We have no more but five loaves and two fishes; except we should go and buy meat for all this people.
Lk:9:16: Then he took the five loaves and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed them, and brake, and gave to the disciples to set before the multitude.
Jn:6:9: There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?
Jn:6:11: And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.
Jn:21:6: And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.
Jn:21:8: And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes.
Jn:21:11: Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.