• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus a Prophet, One Sent as a Messenger?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Was Jesus sent as a prophet?

Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.

Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
He was a false prophet in my opinion - that is, if we can trust what the NT writers recorded to begin with.

Last edited:

Carl W.

What is a prophet?

Someone who invests, buys & sells to make mo' money=profit.
Oh, wrong profit.
Sorry.
The real definition:
proph·et
noun
a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God:

The most simple definition I could locate quickly.:p

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Someone who invests, buys & sells to make mo' money=profit.
Oh, wrong profit.
Sorry.
The real definition:
proph·et
noun
a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God:

The most simple definition I could locate quickly.:p

prophet (n.)
late 12c., "person who speaks for God; one who foretells, inspired preacher," from Old French prophete, profete "prophet, soothsayer" (11c., Modern French prophète) and directly from Latin propheta, from Greek prophetes (Doric prophatas) "an interpreter, spokesman," especially of the gods, "inspired preacher or teacher," from pro "before" (see pro-) + root of phanai "to speak," from PIE *bha- (2) "speak" (see fame (n.)).

The Greek word was used in Septuagint for Hebrew nabj "soothsayer." Early Latin writers translated Greek prophetes with Latin vates, but the Latinized form propheta predominated in post-Classical times, chiefly due to Christian writers, probably because of pagan associations of vates. In English, meaning "prophetic writer of the Old Testament" is from late 14c. Non-religious sense is from 1848; used of Muhammad from 1610s (translating Arabic al-nabiy, and sometimes also al-rasul, properly "the messenger"). The Latin word is glossed in Old English by witga.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
1 Samuel 9:9
(Formerly in Israel, if someone went to inquire of God, they would say, “Come, let us go to the seer,” because the prophet of today used to be called a seer.)

Seer or Oracle
If the gospels are accurate at all Jesus lives like a homeless crazy person. He's got the clothes on his back only, no horse, no land and no house. Who is taking care of his poor wife, or else why doesn't he have one? That does not seem right. He has no political power or wealth and no money and does not want any for himself. He is the disciple of the Mad Baptist. He yells at visitors and accuses the most generous of terrible greed. He is a spectacle, so perhaps you go to get some gossip but not to inquire! His 'Disciples' are hoodlums from various gangs. You hope he never comes to your town. How can he possibly be a prophet, one sent as a messenger? He is trouble is what he is. No, definitely cannot be "A prophet, one sent as a messenger," and few if any would go near him. I wouldn't.

roger1440

I do stuff
Was Jesus sent as a prophet?

Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.

Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.
Was Jesus a Prophet? No. A prophet reveals the divine. According to the Gospels Jesus is the divine revealed.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If the gospels are accurate at all Jesus lives like a homeless crazy person. He's got the clothes on his back only, no horse, no land and no house. Who is taking care of his poor wife, or else why doesn't he have one? That does not seem right. He has no political power or wealth and no money and does not want any for himself. He is the disciple of the Mad Baptist. He yells at visitors and accuses the most generous of terrible greed. He is a spectacle, so perhaps you go to get some gossip but not to inquire! His 'Disciples' are hoodlums from various gangs. You hope he never comes to your town. How can he possibly be a prophet, one sent as a messenger? He is trouble is what he is. No, definitely cannot be "A prophet, one sent as a messenger," and few if any would go near him. I wouldn't.

with essenes, all property was communal. they lived a communist lifestyle, much like the amish