• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus a hypocrite?

buddhist

Jesus apparently taught that people should "resist not evil ... Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you ... " (Matthew 5).

Yet he also claims that he will do this to his enemies: "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." (Luke 19:27)

Is this a case of "do as I preach, not as I do"?

Scriptures should be read like like aphorisms, they weren't written/compiled to have total internal consistency.

With aphorisms: 'a stitch in time saves 9' and 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' could, in certain situations be interpreted as giving completely contradictory advice. If you expect them to be 100% universal truths then you create a problem.

If you treat them as separate aphorisms though, which are not expected to be universal truths just wisdom that is often useful, then there is no problem or contradiction.

Adopting a 21st century scientific mindset to such texts distorts the historical context that they emerged from. Some people [not saying this necessarily applies to you] seem to believe that some critics in the internet age were the first people to notice this; this couldn't be further from the truth. Of course early theologians knew such things existed; they just didn't see it as problematic.

I'd suggest treating them separately, and looking at their meanings individually, like aphorisms.

buddhist

I'd suggest treating them separately, and looking at their meanings individually, like aphorisms.
What are their individual, separate meanings, and how are they independent from one another?

Is the God of the Bible coherent, cohesive, and predictable, or is he incoherent, fragmented, and unpredictable?

What are their individual, separate meanings, and how are they independent from one another?

Is the God of the Bible coherent, cohesive, and predictable, or is he incoherent, fragmented, and unpredictable?

I'm not religious so I'm unfamiliar with their meanings.

Given that the Bible is a text that evolved over many centuries based on the writings of many authors, why would it be completely internally consistent? The question is why didn't this matter to those who compiled it?

Religions are fluid and polyvalent and their texts were not written to meet the logical requirements of the 21st C scientific mindset.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Yet he also claims that he will do this to his enemies:
The Jews aren't Yeshua's enemies; they're just stubborn, and refuse to accept God's Messiah....

They've been invited to the Messianic age, and they're choosing to die; as they refuse to accept the king God has appointed to reign in that age.

So it is a metaphor, like in most parables, to express that if they refuse Yeshua's teachings, they won't get through the Tribulation, and thus will be killed off. :innocent:

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
Jesus apparently taught that people should "resist not evil ... Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you ... " (Matthew 5).

Yet he also claims that he will do this to his enemies: "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." (Luke 19:27)

Not at all. Jesus has been authorized by God to destroy the wicked. This is necessary for the well being of righteously inclined persons, IMO. Otherwise, the wicked would continue to oppress and murder, rape and steal, with impunity. I believe Jesus will soon act against the wicked with God's authorization. 2 Thessalonians 1:6-8 states: "This takes into account that it is righteous on God’s part to repay tribulation to those who make tribulation for you. But you who suffer tribulation will be given relief along with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance on those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus." Christians, on the other hand, are not authorized to take vengeance on their enemies.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe there is no doubt that He is. He makes the rules for us but does not have to abide by those rules.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe God is consistent. He fought against the enemies of Israel and supported Israel when they were fighting their enemies. For the disciples of Jesus it is different because we know there is no need to fight. If we are killed we go to a better life. If things are stolen from us God is able to restore that and more.

Jiddanand

Jesus wasn't hypo. But government did made him. Everywhere governance is faulty, not the single person.

ThirtyThree

Not at all. Jesus has been authorized by God to destroy the wicked. This is necessary for the well being of righteously inclined persons, IMO. Otherwise, the wicked would continue to oppress and murder, rape and steal, with impunity. I believe Jesus will soon act against the wicked with God's authorization. 2 Thessalonians 1:6-8 states: "This takes into account that it is righteous on God’s part to repay tribulation to those who make tribulation for you. But you who suffer tribulation will be given relief along with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance on those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus." Christians, on the other hand, are not authorized to take vengeance on their enemies.

Pretty much.

buddhist

I'm not religious so I'm unfamiliar with their meanings.

Given that the Bible is a text that evolved over many centuries based on the writings of many authors, why would it be completely internally consistent? The question is why didn't this matter to those who compiled it?

Religions are fluid and polyvalent and their texts were not written to meet the logical requirements of the 21st C scientific mindset.
Good question; perhaps Christians here can answer these questions. If I still were a Christian, I think I would still be hard pressed to answer them.

buddhist

... if they refuse Yeshua's teachings, they won't get through the Tribulation, and thus will be killed off. :innocent:
Not at all. Jesus has been authorized by God to destroy the wicked. ... Christians, on the other hand, are not authorized to take vengeance on their enemies.
He makes the rules for us but does not have to abide by those rules.
Essentially, you guys are claiming that the biblical god/Jesus has a different standard for himself than his disciples?

Yet Jesus supposedly said: "every one that is perfect shall be as his master." Luke 6:20, and "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48.

rusra02

Premium Member
Essentially, you guys are claiming that the biblical god/Jesus has a different standard for himself than his disciples?

Yet Jesus supposedly said: "every one that is perfect shall be as his master." Luke 6:20, and "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48.
And I believe Jesus true disciples do imitate the love and compassion of their master, and his devotion to Jehovah and righteousness. Obviously, Jesus has authority most of his disciples do not have. Christ's disciples on earth are not authorized to personally destroy the wicked, and take no pleasure in their destruction. However, Christ's disciples are happy that soon "the wicked will be no more;You will look at where they were,And they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth,And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." ( Psalm 37:10,11) Jesus, I believe, has received this authority from his God, and so do those disciples who will serve with Christ as kings in his heavenly kingdom. (Revelation 17:14) His is a righteous warfare that will bring everlasting peace. God's standards are the same for all, to love righteousness and hate lawlessness, IMO.

Rise

Romans 12:9
Deuteronomy 32:35
2 Thessalonians 1:8
John 5:22
James 4:12
Isaiah 33:22
Isaiah 66:16
Revelation 20:11-15

This is a sample of the many verses throughout both old and new testament that demonstrate God is judge and will execute that judgement on everyone at some point who has not accepted the forgiveness of their sins through Jesus's sacrifice on our behalf.

The parable you referenced in Luke is a parable of the rebellious being judged in the end after Jesus returns.

Although I can see why the two might not seem to coincide, this confusion comes from two wrong assumptions on your part;

The first wrong assumption is that God did not love his enemies. We see in the Bible he did just that.
Matthew 5:45
Romans 5:8

The second wrong assumption is that God's judgement is an evil or bad thing. It is, in fact, a good thing. Without it evil would perpetuate itself forever and keep people separated from God, inflicting suffering on the righteous.

You are conflating two different subjects when you equate the lawful and just judgement of God with man who commits sin in their effort to justify themselves or take revenge into their own hands. Justice belongs to God as the only one in a position to justly and righteously execute judgement. As such, there is nothing evil about his execution of just judgement, but a reflection of his Good nature.

That judgement is a just and good thing should be self evident in the fact that no human society which outright refuses to punish evil, no matter how heinous, would ever be considered a good society even by people who don't believe in God.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member

Bro. I understand that you must have seen this online or something. But you should read the bible and verify before posting like this.

This is the parable of ten minas. Jesus doesnt say it. Jesus quotes another person who wanted to be a king. Read again. Cheers.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe you are assuming that hypocrisy is not perfection. The thing is this we are not perfect by being hypocrites but by being "as your Father in Heaven" which is achieved by having Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Bro. I understand that you must have seen this online or something. But you should read the bible and verify before posting like this.

This is the parable of ten minas. Jesus doesnt say it. Jesus quotes another person who wanted to be a king. Read again. Cheers.

I believe that is an interesting perspective but considering other texts it makes more sense that Jesus is referring to Himself in the person of the nobleman.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@rusra02 and all

Why not help the "wicked" rather than distroy them?

Fortunately, if need be America tries to let people be innocent until proven guilty.

Why does god say, guilty until proven innocent?

Is there an exclusion that we should be like christ 60% of the time but when he distroys the wicked, we are to ignore it?

Or should christians accept like some Muslims that their belief tells them to kill the wicked when need be?

Christians are to be like god except when he kills the wicked. We shouldnt display that lack of compassion. Why not? It comes from god with whom christ told you to imitate.

Theifs, murderers, rapists, etc are not wicked. My brother went to jail for a night for attempted theif. He would have got i think three months if he went off property.

I had talked with ex murderers who gave their life to christ. I had talk to rapist who now have famalies.

Its the actions that are wicked not the people. God is focusing on the wrong cause. Thats like a doctor trying to cure epilepsy by killing the patient rather than giving him medicine.

I would say god contradicts. That is okay. Accept that there are two natures that god has: one that saves and one that kills. One that aska for christians to have compassion and one who asks his son to kill the wicked.

I dont understand why christians try to justify it right. Its from their god. It is right.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I believe that is an interesting perspective but considering other texts it makes more sense that Jesus is referring to Himself in the person of the nobleman.
I only say this humbly. There is no way that this is said from the perspective of first person Jesus. No way.

I know that many Muslims quote this in debates to show that Jesus also was violent because they can't win an argument.

I also know that Christians also sometimes stare dumbfounded when this is quoted because they didn't know about it.

I am a Muslim too.

But facts are facts. This is a parable about another power hungry wanna be king. Ten Minas means ten units of currency. Read the whole thing, then you would see.

Peace.