• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus a Christian ?

Kirran

Premium Member
Being a Christian means you live as Jesus did and wanted you to do.
So Jesus is the example of good practice and belief
So if there is a relegion called Christianity then Jesus should be the first
Let us put the authontication of the books aside for the time being.
How Jesus lived and his belief is the important topic.
Regards

Our source for that is the gospels.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Being a Christian means you live as Jesus did and wanted you to do.
So Jesus is the example of good practice and belief
So if there is a relegion called Christianity then Jesus should be the first
Let us put the authontication of the books aside for the time being.
How Jesus lived and his belief is the important topic.
Regards

Cool, then refer to my next posts

Was Jesus a Christian ?

rusra02

Premium Member
What are the real teachings of Jesus? How he lived? Practiced? Need from his followers?
These are the important questions that decides if there is a new relegion called Christianity? Was Jesus head of this relegion?
I believe the Christian Greek Scriptures contain the teachings and life history of Jesus Christ. And of course, "he [Christ] is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might become the one who is first in all things; because God was pleased to have all fullness to dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all other things by making peace through the blood he shed on the torture stake, whether the things on the earth or the things in the heavens." (Colossians 1:18-20)

whirlingmerc

There are too many confused issues

Mary indeed is often misused as a god substitute
There indeed are many positions of prayer such as raised hands. Kneeling. Bowing low
The trinity is stronger than you think
Jesus dying for sinners is spoken of through the whole Old Testament

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The only thing mainstream christianity (trinity people) have with Muslim is that they worship one god. However, both of you disagree with the nature of that god. Muslim does not believe jesus christ is the creator. What you are saying is colored if not defined by your own belief as a Muslim. I practiced Catholicism, studied it, and read the full bible. Those verses didn't pop from no where. I knew them beforehand.

For example, Jesus never went to a church. He used to go to synagogue.

Church means "body of christ". It means the body of people not a building. (Romans 12:4-5; Colossians 1:24, Mathew 18:20, and so forth.)

Church, Temple, Synagogue, Mosque, Hall are all places where people come together in one body regardless their faith. These are Places of Worship.

Jesus said nothing about crucification or resurrection and never praised a cross
Confusion to priest is just church teachings

This is colored by your religion. You can't change christianity just because you disagree with it's teachings.

Life: The gospels (Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John)
Crucifixion: Mathew 27:32-56
Resurrection: Acts 26:23; Col. 1:18; Rev. 1:5; Corinthians 15:12-19

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Smart question but not applicable on Almighty the Creator Allah but you can ask for Mohamed.
Almighty is the Creator , the Great, the Unique , the Powerful ,,,, nothing like him, not a creature
He created us and every , everything submits to him
He's not like Jesus or Hitler or Mohamed
Even we're not called Mohamedes nor Jews are called Mosaes
Mohamed is a Muslim, the greatest Muslim. He practiced Islam , best example.
Same about Al-Masseh.
Regards

I don't care about Mohamed. I am interested in God Himself.

Do you agree that He is not a Muslim, then?

Ciao

- viole

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Assuming there are any things you don't know is beginning to strike me as unwise.

But as far as I am aware, all the Nontrinitarian groups I mentioned base themselves on the same four gospels.

I get a good impression of the Gospel of Thomas myself though :D
I know that there can be many forms of Christianity that existed and have validity outside the Nicene creed. I hope taking a pluralistic position is not unwise. Apologize for any miscommunications. I was trying to stay within the paradigms of what the OP writer was framing his/her questions. I was trying to answer the following question:-
Can the Christianities that follow the Nicene creed be grounded on the writings of the 4 gospels and the NT is general?

But by that I was not trying to invalidate other interpretations.
:innocent:

Kirran

Premium Member
I know that there can be many forms of Christianity that existed and have validity outside the Nicene creed. I hope taking a pluralistic position is not unwise. Apologize for any miscommunications. I was trying to stay within the paradigms of what the OP writer was framing his/her questions. I was trying to answer the following question:-
Can the Christianities that follow the Nicene creed be grounded on the writings of the 4 gospels and the NT is general?

But by that I was not trying to invalidate other interpretations.
:innocent:

I hope you got that that first line of mine was complimentary. It was a bit of a confusing one, admittedly.

That's a good way of doing things, but in my experience anything post 30 AD is summarily rejected by those trying to show that Jesus was preaching Islam as we know it today.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope you got that that first line of mine was complimentary. It was a bit of a confusing one, admittedly.

That's a good way of doing things, but in my experience anything post 30 AD is summarily rejected by those trying to show that Jesus was preaching Islam as we know it today.
Oops. No, no I am a staunch follower of Socrates. I am ignorant and I know it. :D
This would include all the verses about Jesus in the Quran as well, including everything in the NT of course.
:p

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
This would include all the verses about Jesus in the Quran as well, including everything in the NT of course.
:p

No arguments from me!

I think many really don't see that the logic is 'the Gospels are mostly corrupted, but the stuff that isn't shows that Jesus was preaching Islam.' 'How can you tell that those bits aren't corrupted?' 'Because they agree with what the Qur'an says.'

It's not actually using the Bible or any other text as a source at all, it's totally eisegesic (a recent new word for me!).

Limo

Abraham was the first to enter into the Covenant through circumcision.
The Jewish people existed prior to the establishment of the political states of Israel and Judah.
Ibrahim is grandfsther of Jacob or Yacoub or Israel who is father of israiliets or Jews
He cat be a jew

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Ibrahim is grandfsther of Jacob or Yacoub or Israel who is father of israiliets or Jews
He cat be a jew
He began the Covenant which was continued through Isaac and then Jacob. Whether you like it or not, he was the first.

Shabbat shalom.

whirlingmerc

Jesus accepted the Old Testament handed down through the Jews as is
and we essentially have that through the Massoretic text and Septuagint
Those are the accounts Jesus would have believed in and the Bible Jesus read

Limo

Continued....

He is greater than Mary and hence does not pray to her. Mary should be viewed as the foremost of saints for being chosen by God to bear Jesus. Saints have powers as risen Jesus proclaims in Revelations. Many Christians connect the Woman of Revelations 12 with Mary, the once and future mother so as to speak.

Revelations 12

A great portent appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. 2 She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pangs, in the agony of giving birth. 3 Then another portent appeared in heaven: a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads. 4 His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. Then the dragon stood before the woman who was about to bear a child, so that he might devour her child as soon as it was born. 5 And she gave birth to a son, a male child, who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron. But her child was snatched away and taken to God and to his throne; 6 and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, so that there she can be nourished for one thousand two hundred sixty days............................17 Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her children, those who keep the commandments of God and hold the testimony of Jesus.

Yes.

John 5

24 Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under judgment, but has passed from death to life.

Others
19 Bible verses about Truly Truly

Also the Spirit guarantees the authenticity of the writings of apostles

John 16
12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, because he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine. For this reason I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

I do not know what you have in mind.

Priests are the heirs of apostles and have the power, bequeathed to them by Jesus through the Holy Spirit

John 20
21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Correct and it would be Christianity. Guess what? They know their book.

Christians, feel free to correct me if any of my exegesis is incorrect. :)
Thanks for the effort
Some answers were to the point but others are not according to criteria, explanation, thoughts

Limo

I would not consider arians part of the true church if that's what you mean

and since you bring up Mormons... Joseph Smith believed God was married to a Mrs God and they used to be mormons on another planet long ago and became god... I would not consider that 'a view of the early church either'
The whole ancient Christian world were Arianas for about 50 years, they held 2 councils after Nicaea and before Constantinople councils

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the effort
Some answers were to the point but others are not according to criteria, explanation, thoughts
Your criteria is completely arbitrary, as I have said and shown earlier.
But the answers I provided are reasonably adequate to ground the beliefs of Christianity you were asking about.
Now the onus is on you to show why the supports I and others provided are inadequate from an internal exegetical level.
Your turn.
Thanks.

Limo

I don't care about Mohamed. I am interested in God Himself.

Do you agree that He is not a Muslim, then?

Ciao

- viole
No he isn't.
All creatures submits to Almighty but Almighty submits to nothing
He's the Power the Unique

David1967

Premium Member
Thank you for great answer.
I've only one comment on how he prayed. Matthew 26:39 "Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.".
Then we can answer the question "Who prays like Jesus now?"

From the answer of majority of the above questions, If we put Judaism aside for the time being, the main question
To which part Jesus can be connected more Islam or any Christian Church ?
Regards

Your style of writing is so much like Sovietchild and Paarsury. But how could Jesus be a Muslim 500 years before Islam was founded? Not that it matters. Jesus was Jewish.