• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maldini

Those are lies, you just want to believe it due to your wishful thinking.

Churches are built in Iran and no one force them to Islam,i think it is stupid to think that Christians were forced to convert to Islam otherwise killed.

Except they aren't, if he didn't attack the rulers of that time how did he become the ruler himself? through Elections?!

And you must be 16 years old or younger since you clearly don't understand Arabs forcing Persians to convert 1000 years ago has nothing to do with the 40-50 churches that exists today in Iran.

It's less than 100,000 in a 70,000,000 populated country, plus Muslims are not allowed to convert according to Muhammad's own orders. You also seem to be ignoring this part of my argument.

I'm sure as a Muslim you hate any ex-Muslim who has converted.

Do you mean that Arabs were so brave and the Persians were cowards ?
Why do you think they were cowards and do you think that they are still so ?

Which Khalifa that terrified the Persian people and converted them all to Islam and what is your source?

Military conquests of Umar's era - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Umar the bloodthirsty warmonger war criminal. You get F- in history.

Muslim conquest of Persia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SPREAD BY SWORD.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The great $64,000 question. It would appear the Muslims are no wiser on this topic than non-Muslims.

Its funny in an odd way,we get "Islam is the fastest growing religion" with billions of followers but when you point out the unsavoury parts its "that's not true Islam" so you start wondering about the touted numbers being quoted when the majority of its followers actually live where the unsavoury parts are in practice,just my take on it of course.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Ah okay. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I am not entirely sure if that is what happened or not but I am kind of leaning towards that.

I have checked many countries;it just happened like that.
If one likes; I could give examples.

Regards

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The great $64,000 question. It would appear the Muslims are no wiser on this topic than non-Muslims.
I don't know, I think I had a pretty good answer. True religion exists in the heart, and it exists in all religions wherever there are true hearts. Other than that, it's a just a bunch of bickering and self-rationalizations why this sect is true and that sect is false. They're all false, when the heart isn't true.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Where , when and how , is still in god's knowledge.

[youtube]hu5py5rUCQk[/youtube]
Hadith: Return of the Khilafah - YouTube

Muhammed himself according to hadith said that all other sects of Islam will be in the fire bar one,when he was asked which one he said "the ones like me and the companions",now when one considers what he and the companions did according to many sahih hadith you may actually see Islam in its true light.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Here is an example from Bukhari:

Volume 9, Book 84, Number 59:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

When the Prophet died and Abu Bakr became his successor and some of the Arabs reverted to disbelief, 'Umar said, "O Abu Bakr! How can you fight these people although Allah's Apostle said, 'I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, 'and whoever said, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah', Allah will save his property and his life from me, unless (he does something for which he receives legal punishment) justly, and his account will be with Allah?' "Abu Bakr said, "By Allah! I will fight whoever differentiates between prayers and Zakat as Zakat is the right to be taken from property (according to Allah's Orders). By Allah! If they refused to pay me even a kid they used to pay to Allah's Apostle, I would fight with them for withholding it." 'Umar said, "By Allah: It was nothing, but I noticed that Allah opened Abu Bakr's chest towards the decision to fight, therefore I realized that his decision was right."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Indeed. It does not help that Muslims lend so much importance to the role of law and political power, apparently to the point of fully expecting to be treated differently when in countries that are not truly/majoritarily Muslim.

Of course, there is no uncontroversialy Muslim country, and perhaps there was never any, so the whole matter is despairingly difficult.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Narrated Abu Huraira:

When the Prophet died and Abu Bakr became his successor and some of the Arabs reverted to disbelief, 'Umar said, "O Abu Bakr! How can you fight these people although Allah's Apostle said, 'I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, 'and whoever said, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah', Allah will save his property and his life from me, unless (he does something for which he receives legal punishment) justly, and his account will be with Allah?' "Abu Bakr said, "By Allah! I will fight whoever differentiates between prayers and Zakat as Zakat is the right to be taken from property (according to Allah's Orders). By Allah! If they refused to pay me even a kid they used to pay to Allah's Apostle, I would fight with them for withholding it." 'Umar said, "By Allah: It was nothing, but I noticed that Allah opened Abu Bakr's chest towards the decision to fight, therefore I realized that his decision was right."

Such hadith is irrational, as if this hadith was true then it means that the prophet should killed all the Atheists, Jews and Christians who didn't accept his message, so the hadith contradicts reality and hence it is unbelievable,to me at least.

The message of the prophet to the Christians was kept till our recent days,it says

“This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims’ houses.
Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God’s covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.
No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray. Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).”

Reference: Muhammad's promise to Christians | OnFaith

Sabour

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Example of what ?

Sabour

Example, that the prophet killed anyone refusing his message which of course isn't true.

Of course.

But how did we come to this conclusion in the first place from the hadith?

The Zakat is a pillar in Islam and it is a right for the poor people who need help and live under the caliphate.

Flankerl

What a weird question.
Last time i checked all these countries didnt conquer themselves and the majority of arabs used to live on the arabian peninsula and not in Syria, Iraq or northern africa.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
You know, I am thinking that perhaps it was just that Islamic empires were spread by the sword but not the religion itself was spread by the sword historically. Now, granted, there have been cases in recent times in which people were forced to convert to Islam or die such as in Syria but I am speaking historically. Also, the actions of a few should not be blamed on the entire group that the few are a member of. That's my opinion anyway. I mean, you wouldn't say that Atheists endorse murder just because some Communist Atheists murdered people in Soviet Russia, right?

You seem like a nice person. Sorry if my posts seemed to have any rudeness in them!

It really does boil down to the heart of the individual in how they read their sacred texts. Someone who has a need to have their views be the accepted ones, will read the scriptures and interpret them with that filter. To them that is what the Koran says. It seems clearly evident to them and they think everyone else is watering it down, not wanting to see what seems so clear to them.

Christianity has this same thing. So do all religions actually. Personally, I judge the value of the religion by how those with a good heart use it to strengthen and support that good heart they bring with them into their beliefs, which will affect how they read the same scriptures, except in more loving and inclusive ways, as opposed to stringent and dogmatic interpretations.

What is true religion, but that of the heart. If someone interprets their religion as teaching Peace, then that is true. But its grounded in the individual, not something outside themselves. This is true in all religions.

I think the better approach is not who is right and who is wrong, because everyone sincerely believes they are in the right, which must mean others are wrong, but which interpretation promotes the well-being of everyone? That to me is the truer religion, because it comes from the heart of the individual. They're not "wrong", but simply operating at a less beneficial, or more harmful level. Freedom is the foundation of Peace. Forced compliance is not.

Nicely and decently put, thank you!

Maybe you can give an example of "true Islam"

Hmm...

Allowing non Muslims to live under Muslim rule peacefully and without preventing them from practicing their beliefs, allowing people to choose the religion they want freely, respecting other beliefs... and the list goes on!

It is not really that complicated (or expensive) to ask about!

Windwalker had good points in his post quoted above!

And, good Muslims are always wise on this topic!

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hmm...

Allowing non Muslims to live under Muslim rule peacefully and without preventing them from practicing their beliefs, allowing people to choose the religion they want freely, respecting other beliefs... and the list goes on!

I see. That must be why there is no divergence of opinions on the matter. It's so simple, really. Sadly, your assertion that Islam allows people to " live under Muslim rule peacefully and without preventing them from practicing their beliefs, allowing people to choose the religion they want freely, respecting other beliefs... " is not really true. The status of the dhimmi is not exactly a bowl of cherries.

mahasn ebn sawresho

You seem like a nice person. Sorry if my posts seemed to have any rudeness in them!

Nicely and decently put, thank you!

Hmm...

to smart -guy--
what you say --in this words --Saudi Arabia does not allow the presence of non-Muslims is not able to live in freedom -
Muhammad expelled the Arabs from the Arabian Peninsula Najran ---
It has a famous hadith says two religion does not meeting in the land of the islandNon-Muslims in Muslim countries are considered second-class - all in the Middle Ages -
And persecution of non-Muslims from the axioms of social life ---
With important note -
Is that it weakens the Muslim feels when non-Muslims more freely
But when a Muslim strong showing Islam for what it is -
When a Muslim away from his religion is a good man - naturally ---
But when reading the Koran and become a religious man, find another type of aggressive -
I'd say speak from the experience of my life with Muslims ---

mahasn ebn sawresho

to smart guy
i am Offer to you a very simple example ---
If any wife christean become a Muslim , the divorce from her husband be legally ----
Even if the husband does not want a divorce ---
and She takes the children to her and not be right to husband take care of them ---
They also become Muslims the child become muslim ---
And also the case with the husband if he became a Muslim, the children follow the father in the care -his mother not have the rigth to carre him
This is the simplest example of freedom and equality in Muslim countries ---

mahasn ebn sawresho

in muslim country --many non muslim not work in many jobs ---
and there is a basice law in islame it called < al-theme> --
this basic law meaning the non muslin not equial to muslime --
if you helpe me and explian this basice islamic law please

mahasn ebn sawresho

to smart guy

In Muslim countries are not allowed for a Muslim woman to marry a non-Muslim ---
But if allowed to marry instead of his religion and became a Muslim
But if it wants to become a Muslim Christian for her boyfriend Islamic law does not allow it
All of these examples is simple ------
Justice between Muslims and non-Muslims in Muslim countries...

Status
Not open for further replies.