• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No.
For example:
Spread of Islam in Bulgaria : [3]
The 15th-century Banya Bashi Mosque, in capital Sofia.

Islam is the largest minority religion in Bulgaria. According to the 2011 Census, the total number of Muslims in the country stood at 577,139,[1] corresponding to 7.8% of the population.[2] The Muslim population of Bulgaria, which is made up of Turks, Bulgarians andGypsies, lives mainly in parts of northeastern Bulgaria (mainly in Razgrad,Targovishte,Shumen and Silistra Provinces) and in theRhodope Mountains (mainly in Kardzhali Province).[3]
300px-Ethnic_composition_of_Bulgaria%2C_2011.PNG
Distribution of the ethnic groups by municipalities according to the 2011 census:
Red: Bulgarian ethnic group
Green: Pomak ethnic group

Like the practitioners of other beliefs including Orthodox Christians, Muslims suffered under the restriction of religious freedom by the Marxist-LeninistZhivkov regime which instituted state atheism and suppressed religious communities. The Bulgarian communist regimes declared traditional Muslim beliefs to be diametrically opposed to secular communist ideology.[citation needed] In 1989,[13] 310,000 Turks fled Bulgaria as a result of the communistZhivkov regime's assimilation campaign. That program, which began in 1984, forced all Turks and other Muslims in Bulgaria to adopt Bulgarian names and renounce all Muslim customs. The motivation of the 1984 assimilation campaign was unclear; however, many experts believed that the disproportion between the birth rates of the Turks and the Bulgarians was a major factor.[14] After the breakdown of communism, Muslims in Bulgaria again enjoyed greater religious freedom. Some villages organized Qur'an study courses for young people (study of the Qur'an had been completely forbidden under Zhivkov).[citation needed]Muslims also began publishing their own newspaper, Musulmani, in both Bulgarian and Turkish.

Lifestyle[edit]
In 2011, the first study in 25 years found that 48.6 percent of its 850 Muslim respondents described themselves as devoutly religious, 28.5 percent of which very. Some 41 percent never went to the mosque and 59.3 percent did not pray at home.[15] 0.5 percent believed that disputes should be resolved using Islamic Sharia law and 79.6 percent said that wearing a veil in school was "unacceptable."[15] 88 percent of respondents said they circumcised their boys and 96 percent observed Muslim burial practices for their relatives.[15] More than half of the respondents said cohabitation without marriage was "acceptable", 39.8 percent ate pork and 43.3 percent drank alcohol.[15]
120px-Unknown_Artist%2C_Maker_-_Marriage_Canopy_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
104px-Imaret_Mosque_Built_1444_Plovdiv_Bulgara_in_1987.jpg
119px-Bulgarian_-_Drinking_Bowl_-_Walters_57626.jpg

Ottoman era textile canopy from Bulgaria: Imaret Mosque Built 1444:Bulgarian Muslim drinking bowl.
Country/Region: Bulgaria
Muslim population 2010 Pew Report[1]:1,002,000
Muslim percentage (%) of total population 2010 Pew Report[1] : 13.4
Percentage (%) of World Muslim population 2010 Pew Report[1] : 0.1
Muslim population Other sources : 577,139 (official census)[40]
Muslim percentage (%)Other sources: 10%[40]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Bulgaria . Do you see any?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
No.
For example:
Spread of Islam in Bulgaria : [3]
The 15th-century Banya Bashi Mosque, in capital Sofia.

Islam is the largest minority religion in Bulgaria. According to the 2011 Census, the total number of Muslims in the country stood at 577,139,[1] corresponding to 7.8% of the population.[2] The Muslim population of Bulgaria, which is made up of Turks, Bulgarians andGypsies, lives mainly in parts of northeastern Bulgaria (mainly in Razgrad,Targovishte,Shumen and Silistra Provinces) and in theRhodope Mountains (mainly in Kardzhali Province).[3]
300px-Ethnic_composition_of_Bulgaria%2C_2011.PNG
Distribution of the ethnic groups by municipalities according to the 2011 census:
Red: Bulgarian ethnic group
Green: Pomak ethnic group

Like the practitioners of other beliefs including Orthodox Christians, Muslims suffered under the restriction of religious freedom by the Marxist-LeninistZhivkov regime which instituted state atheism and suppressed religious communities. The Bulgarian communist regimes declared traditional Muslim beliefs to be diametrically opposed to secular communist ideology.[citation needed] In 1989,[13] 310,000 Turks fled Bulgaria as a result of the communistZhivkov regime's assimilation campaign. That program, which began in 1984, forced all Turks and other Muslims in Bulgaria to adopt Bulgarian names and renounce all Muslim customs. The motivation of the 1984 assimilation campaign was unclear; however, many experts believed that the disproportion between the birth rates of the Turks and the Bulgarians was a major factor.[14] After the breakdown of communism, Muslims in Bulgaria again enjoyed greater religious freedom. Some villages organized Qur'an study courses for young people (study of the Qur'an had been completely forbidden under Zhivkov).[citation needed]Muslims also began publishing their own newspaper, Musulmani, in both Bulgarian and Turkish.

Lifestyle[edit]
In 2011, the first study in 25 years found that 48.6 percent of its 850 Muslim respondents described themselves as devoutly religious, 28.5 percent of which very. Some 41 percent never went to the mosque and 59.3 percent did not pray at home.[15] 0.5 percent believed that disputes should be resolved using Islamic Sharia law and 79.6 percent said that wearing a veil in school was "unacceptable."[15] 88 percent of respondents said they circumcised their boys and 96 percent observed Muslim burial practices for their relatives.[15] More than half of the respondents said cohabitation without marriage was "acceptable", 39.8 percent ate pork and 43.3 percent drank alcohol.[15]
120px-Unknown_Artist%2C_Maker_-_Marriage_Canopy_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
104px-Imaret_Mosque_Built_1444_Plovdiv_Bulgara_in_1987.jpg
119px-Bulgarian_-_Drinking_Bowl_-_Walters_57626.jpg

Ottoman era textile canopy from Bulgaria: Imaret Mosque Built 1444:Bulgarian Muslim drinking bowl.
Country/Region: Bulgaria
Muslim population 2010 Pew Report[1]:1,002,000
Muslim percentage (%) of total population 2010 Pew Report[1] : 13.4
Percentage (%) of World Muslim population 2010 Pew Report[1] : 0.1
Muslim population Other sources : 577,139 (official census)[40]
Muslim percentage (%)Other sources: 10%[40]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Bulgaria . Do you see any?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
History does not record the events and their perspective with 100% accuracy. Does it?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't really care to interrupt your rather blatant proselytizing, all I want is to quote your fricken words to see what other Muslims have to say. Are you afraid of what they might say?
I am not afraid of them. You asked my opinion and I just gave that.
Regards

Sonofason

But such a statement downplays societies
throughout history that have adamantly
called themselves "truly Muslim". We can't
act as judges declaring they weren't "truly
Muslim" (and I'm not saying that you are).
We can judge anyone we want.

outhouse

Atheistically
History does not record the events and their perspective with 100% accuracy. Does it?

You used this same history to try and prove islam was not spread by blood. You failed and your the one who brought that quote into the forum.

You supplied the link.

Does that mean all the material you post is historically worthless?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You used this same history to try and prove islam was not spread by blood. You failed and your the one who brought that quote into the forum.
You supplied the link.
Does that mean all the material you post is historically worthless?
You are simply wrong.
I mostly quoted from Wikipedia and not from history. I never claimed that Wikipedia is 100% correct in every detail, even Wikipedia does not claim that it is 100% correct. It is always implied that the reader would explore truth himself and accept it after due diligence and only if he is satisfied with the stuff heart and soul.
Islam spread peacefully.
Regards

outhouse

Atheistically
I mostly quoted from Wikipedia and not from history. I never claimed that Wikipedia is 100% correct in every detail, even Wikipedia does not claim that it is 100% correct. It is always implied that the reader would explore truth himself and accept it after due diligence and only if he is satisfied with the stuff heart and soul.
Islam spread peacefully.
Regards

You supplied the link.

The city of Sofia fell in 1385. Islam established in the conquered

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Please focus on the following points.
  1. Islam has been reformed under the Ahmadiyya and is one of the fastest spreading religious community in the world.
  2. Ahmadiyya or true Islam has peacefully spread in about 206 countries/territories of the world. In about 150 years Ahmadiyya are already more than the Zoroastrians and perhaps the Judaism people, no disrespect intended to anybody.
  3. if one is truthful one would increase despite the opposition, persecution and killings done by the opponents.
  4. Ahmadiyya Muslims follow teachings of Quran as did Muhammad follow. In fact Ahmadiyya follow in Muhammad’s footsteps.
  5. Those who doubt that Islam spread peacefully in times of Muhammad they should focus on spread of Ahmadiyya true Islam, If it has happened now peacefully, it should be a clear sign for the doubtful that Islam spread peacefully in times of Muhammad.
I gave how Ahmadiyya spread peacefully in Argentina post #2430, Australia Post #2460 , Austria Post #2489, Bangladesh Post #2513, Belarus Post #2535, Belgium Post #2556, Belize #2571, Bulgaria Post #2595, Cameroon Post #2619, Canada Post #2636,Chad Post #2651 .

Now I give peaceful spread of Ahmadiyya true Islam in Congo.
125px-Flag_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg.png

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (/ˈkɒŋɡoʊ/; French pronunciation: [kɔ̃ɡo]; French: République démocratique du Congo), also known asDR Congo, DRC, DROC, RDC, Congo-Kinshasa, or simply Congo[6][7] is a country located in Central Africa. From 1971 to 1997 it was namedZaïre. It borders the Republic of the Congo, the Central African Republic, and South Sudan to the north, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzaniato the East, Zambia and Angola to the south and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. It is the second largest country in Africa by area and theeleventh largest in the world. With a population of over 75 million,[1] the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the most populated officially Francophone country, the fourth most populated nation in Africa and the nineteenth most populated country in the world.
250px-Location_DR_Congo_AU_Africa.svg.png

Catholicism ({{{value1}}}%)
Protestantism (32%)
Other Christian (11.2%)
Sunni Islam (6%)
Shia Islam (1.2%)
Ahmadiyya Islam (0.7%)
Other Muslim (4.1%)
Indigenous religion (3%)
Other or non-specified (1%)
Unaffiliated (4%)

Country/Region: Congo
Ahmadiyya population : 540,000
Perce
Percentage (%) of population : 0.7
Notes/Sources : RC[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmadiyya_by_country

Does one see any sword used for spread of Ahmadiyya true Islam in Democratic Republic of the Congo ?

Regards

outhouse

Atheistically

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I see where you are coming from, but we can't very well just accept that societies are both Muslim and not Muslim at any given time either.
At least not if significant decisions rely on deciding one way or the other... which Muslims seem to insist on.
Also, while I often use "Muslim" and "Islamic" interchangeably, I realize that this is not quite correct. Islamic is an ideal, Muslim a reality. Much can be and often is made of the difference between the two.
It is an important point that most of the posters have failed to realize even in the later posts in the thread, hence their wrong conclusions. Islam is an ideology, to prove that Islam commanded to use sword to spread cannot be proved wrong with what Muslims rulers/monarchs or tribal chiefs did or said.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Only requires an honest look at history.
But islam did not command to use the sword. muhammad did, They used the sword to force people to change personal beliefs or be slaughtered like animals.
One's understanding of history is incorrect. Muhammad did what Quran said. He was only a defender of his faith/religion.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That is something you cannot address with credibility. Can you?
There is no need to it. Quran informs everything essentially needed in ethical, moral and spirituals domains and guides one in this life and the hereafter. History is not 100 % correct, one may read and respond to post #76 about history and historians.
Regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.