• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, actually it's quite simple. A lot of people seem to assume it's either one or the other; spread by the sword OR spread by more peaceful means... What if it's this AND that?
People tend to like things neat and tidy, that way they don't have to think too hard. As I stated earlier, Islam was most certainly spread by the sword and through peaceful means. I'm not sure why Muslims would even try to deny that part of the spread was due to subjugation of conquered peoples.

Sabour

People tend to like things neat and tidy, that way they don't have to think too hard. As I stated earlier, Islam was most certainly spread by the sword and through peaceful means. I'm not sure why Muslims would even try to deny that part of the spread was due to subjugation of conquered peoples.

Sword was never used to convert people.

If you are interested, watch from minute 42 this would tell a lot of stuff

Flankerl

So you are saying that large parts of the eastern roman empire, all of northern africa and almost all of Iberia didnt laid down their weapons and let themself be conquered when they heard about the good news that was Islam?

Now... dont be crazy.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Speak logic please than nonsense.

Religion and faith can never spread by force,the prophet when started the message didn't even own a sword, he wasn't a worrier.

Can you convert people to Hinduism by force, try it with a gun and see how many you can convert before you are dead,try and i'll support you by cheering.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I'm not attacking Islam, I think people should consider that it has spread in places by means of culture, trade and religious leaders spreading the religion peacefully. But it's also possible that in some places it might have spread in more violent manners.

I don't know enough to judge. That's why I was asking paarsurrey what he meant. The fact he stated one country (or even if he stated many countries) doesn't eliminate other possibilities in other regions.

:sorry1: Sorry about the long post, I was trying to be as clear as possible. Hopefully it's easy to understand.

I agree with the words colored by me in magenta.

Regards

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.

"In Bengal, now Bangladesh, Muslims were an infinitesimal minority in the middle of the eighteenth century when the British took over the administration from the Mughals. By the time Bengal became independent in 1947 it had a Muslim majority. Muslims had no political control of the area nor was there any migration of Muslims from northern India during British rule. This increase in Bengal’s Muslim population was owing to peaceful conversion by traveling sufis, the roving Muslim missionaries and the Imams of the village mosques.

Thomas Arnold’s observation on the subject is significant. He said: ‘Islam has gained its greatest and most lasting missionary triumphs in times and places in which its political power has been weakest.”16"
Source: https://www.alislam.org/library/books/mna/chapter_2.html

" Gandhi a Hindu from India, has also stated:
"I become more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet, the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers and his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle".

Spread of Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Spread of Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

On this very same link, under Palestine it says:

"The Muslim Saracen army attacked Jerusalem, held by the Byzantine Romans, in November, 636 CE. For four months, the siege continued. Ultimately, the Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem, Sophronius, an ethnic Arab,[17] agreed to surrender Jerusalem to caliph Omar in person."

Now that might not be spreading Islam by the sword, it is spreading Arabic empire and thus carry Islam with it. Muslims have invaded countries (India is another example) so maybe to you it doesn't mean spreading Islam by the sword, but perhaps people find it hard to decouple this from spreading it.

How do Muslims view this?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
On this very same link, under Palestine it says:

"The Muslim Saracen army attacked Jerusalem, held by the Byzantine Romans, in November, 636 CE. For four months, the siege continued. Ultimately, the Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem, Sophronius, an ethnic Arab,[17] agreed to surrender Jerusalem to caliph Omar in person."

Now that might not be spreading Islam by the sword, it is spreading Arabic empire and thus carry Islam with it. Muslims have invaded countries (India is another example) so maybe to you it doesn't mean spreading Islam by the sword, but perhaps people find it hard to decouple this from spreading it.

How do Muslims view this?

Every time that oppression take its place on earth,then God will send a messenger to stop oppression.

It is also among the minor signs that once oppression is spread then it is a sign for the 2nd return of Jesus and the end of times.

Prophet Mohammed was sent in time of oppression,the Romans from the west and the Persians from the east.

You may understand how it goes if you read about Cyrus the great.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sword was never used to convert people.

If you are interested, watch from minute 42 this would tell a lot of stuff
That snippet from the video by the young fellow with the really terrible looking beard is one truly pathetic explanation. Absolutely pathetic. So, when Muslims do despicable acts, for the duration of those acts they are not a Muslim. Right..... try telling that one to Allah. LOL.

Draupadi

Sometimes it did happen when the faith of Muslim conquerors were voluntarily taken up by the conquered ones, like as the Persians. Yes there were exceptions, but that is not what Islam teaches.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sometimes it did happen when the faith of Muslim conquerors were voluntarily taken up by the conquered ones, like as the Persians. Yes there were exceptions, but that is not what Islam teaches.
No doubt the conversion rates were quite high when the targeted people didn't wish to be slaughtered on the battlefield. If showing up with an army isn't compulsion, I don't know what is.

Draupadi

I would say it happened in A LOT of cases, but it is not the way of Islam. The latter was the point I wanted to highlight. But Islam in my country was spread in a peaceful way.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No doubt the conversion rates were quite high when the targeted people didn't wish to be slaughtered on the battlefield. If showing up with an army isn't compulsion, I don't know what is.

The prophet wasn't a worrier, he was armless.

People accepted Islam for him (the prophet)and not for his power as he got no power at all,just a single armless man, is it that hard for you to grasp.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The prophet wasn't a worrier, he was armless.

People accepted Islam for him (the prophet)and not for his power as he got no power at all,just a single armless man, is it that hard for you to grasp.
That's right, FearGod, it was all Peace, Love and Beards. :drool:

gnostic

The Lost One
ssainhu said:
A lot of conversions are because a girl falls for a Muslim guy and life is much easier if she converts than if she stays a non-Muslim. Even if it's not a requirement for her to convert, it's not easy to remain a non-Muslim in an extended Muslim family. Muslims also have larger families and if a non-Muslim man falls for a Muslim woman, he has to convert or he will lose her.

And that's the sort of double-standard that Muslims are famous for. The whole situation is stupid and backward. This is why having a relationship with any Muslim (male or female) is bad news, because it causes tension and resentment.

Why should anyone need to convert one or the other?

The whole no-compulsion is a total myth.

Anyone who tell me I must to convert in order to stay in a relationship with a girl, I would kick their teeth in. :mad:

No compulsion. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

If a Muslim girl and I fall in love, with the wrong Muslim family (strict, conservative), she would either become social outcast, or worse still, the idea of her being beaten or kill in the matter of family honor, would horrify me. No, thanks...I don't want to get into relationship that could bring harm to a girl, because of family and their religion.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Was Islam spread by the sword?

Islam did not spread by sword. In fact sword is a hindrance in the way of spread of Islam. Quran provides both commandments and the gist of wisdom of the same; this peculiarity is not retained in book of any other revealed religion.Islam does not need it and flourishes most in peace with its strong reasonable and rational arguments.

Peaceful spread of Islam in China

Chinese Muslims have been in China for the last 1,400 years of continuous interaction with Chinese society.[1] Muslims live in every region in China.[2] Various sources estimate different numbers of Muslims in China. Some sources indicate 2% of the total population in China are Muslims.[3]

History

According to China Muslims' traditional legendary accounts, Islam was first brought to China by Ehtesham Khan. Chinese Muslims have been in China for the last 1,400 years of continuous interaction with Chinese society.[1] "Islam expanded gradually across the maritime and inland silk routes from the 7th to the 10th centuries through trade and diplomatic exchanges."[4]
Introduction of Islam in 616-18 AD[edit]
According to Chinese Muslims' traditional legendary accounts, Islam was first introduced in China in 616-18 AD by Sahaba(companions) of Prophet Muhammad: Sa`d ibn Abi Waqqas, Sayid, Wahab ibn Abu Kabcha and another Sahaba.[5] Wahab ibn abu Kabcha (Wahb abi Kabcha) might be a son of al-Harth ibn Abdul Uzza (aknown as Abu Kabsha).[6] It is noted in other accounts that Wahab Abu Kabcha reached Canton by sea in 629 CE.[citation needed]
Sa`ad ibn Abi Waqqas, along with three Sahabas, namely Suhayla Abuarja, Uwais al-Qarani, and Hassan ibn Thabit, went to China from Arabia in 637 for the second time and returned by the Yunan-Manipur-Chittagong route, then reached Arabia by sea.[7] Some date the introduction of Islam in China to 650 AD which is the instance of the third sojourn of Saad ibn abi Waqqas to China,[8] Sa`ad ibn Abi Waqqas, was sent as an official envoy to Emperor Gaozong which was his third sojourn during Caliph Uthman's era in 651 AD.[9]

Islam in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
That's right, FearGod, it was all Peace, Love and Beards. :drool:

What the relation between beards and ethics ?:facepalm:

People weren't forced to accept Islam and if they were forced by the sword then why they used to pay the Jiziyah instead of Zakat, why not killed for refusing Islam.

Why there were churches ?
Why the prophet said no one is permitted to harm the people of the book till the last day on earth and who do so is my enemy in day of judgement ?

How do you explain that ?

Reality contradicts your stupid notions.

Flankerl

Prophet Mohammed was sent in time of oppression,the Romans from the west and the Persians from the east.

You do realise that neither the Romans nor the Persians were present in Arabia right?

They werent oppressing the poor Arabs. Sorry.

Also you Muslims are the cutest when it comes to your own history.
"nah man it was all love and peace man..."

Status
Not open for further replies.