• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Hitler a Christian?

Would you consider Hitler to be a Christian? (In your opinion)

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not to challenge, but links?
(I'd not heard this.)

Hitlers speech feb 1 1933: he declares "merciless war against spiritual, political, and cultural nihilism"

Speech oct 24 1933 "We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out".

Associated Press, Feb 23, 1933, "A campaign against the 'godless movement' and an appeal for Catholic support were launched by Chancellor Adolf Hitler's forces."

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Wiki says he was catholic so it's unlikely
Wiki says.......
The well researched film 'Downfall' as witnessed by Speer and Hitler's surviving secretary shows Hitler's marriage to Eva in their last hours. A registrar was brought in to conduct a secular wedding where the only questions asked were to establish both bride's and groom's Aryan blood. There was no production of a bible, prayer book, no religious ceremony, nothing to do with any religion.
Says it all, really. What Christian would totally exclude any part of their faith in such a ceremony?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Wiki says.......
The well researched film 'Downfall' as witnessed by Speer and Hitler's surviving secretary shows Hitler's marriage to Eva in their last hours. A registrar was brought in to conduct a secular wedding where the only questions asked were to establish both bride's and groom's Aryan blood. There was no production of a bible, prayer book, no religious ceremony, nothing to do with any religion.
Says it all, really. What Christian would totally exclude any part of their faith in such a ceremony?

Desperation perhaps?

ChristineM

Premium Member
On the way out, soon to die, I reckon a Christian would cling to faith more desperately than at other times in life.
In any event I don't think Hitler had any faith in him....... although he may have let some followers think whatever suited them.

The man had far more on his mind than ritual.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The man had far more on his mind than ritual.
Surely......
Ministers and Generals who were present all pleaded with Hitler to escape Berlin before it was too late, but Hitler replied that if he left Berlin then all was over anyway, and that he preferred to stay and, if necessary, face his Downfall.
Ergo, he was resigned to his fate....... now I reckon that a Christian would at least be in contemplation connected with Faith........
What's the M.O. of being a Christian?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Surely......
Ministers and Generals who were present all pleaded with Hitler to escape Berlin before it was too late, but Hitler replied that if he left Berlin then all was over anyway, and that he preferred to stay and, if necessary, face his Downfall.
Ergo, he was resigned to his fate....... now I reckon that a Christian would at least be in contemplation connected with Faith........
What's the M.O. of being a Christian?

Ergo nothing, you are making bold claims about a position you cannot possibly understand.

Is it not possible that his motivation for staying was because he wanted to present at his power base if things turned around?

What is the m.o. for being a national leader in time of war when, after nearly 6 years of military success that war is inevitably doomed.

Anthem

Wiki says.......
Lutheran - catholic

Catholic - lutheran

What's your point?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Ergo nothing, you are making bold claims about a position you cannot possibly understand.
I think you need to take more notice of sentences, the differences between questions and 'bold' claims.

Is it not possible that his motivation for staying was because he wanted to present at his power base if things turned around?
Very good..... exactly...... 9/10.
All of his motivation was for POWER, nothing there in the manner of Christian faith. You're getting there.

What is the m.o. for being a national leader in time of war when, after nearly 6 years of military success that war is inevitably doomed.
Well it sure wasn't Christianity.
You're actually answering your own (previous) ideas here, and putting them right.

NO THING about Hitler's motivations was connected to Christianity'. But of course, during his rise to power he would have referred to Christianity because he expected a % of his audience to respond well to such references. 80 years later you want these speeches to prove something? A 'Bold' claim, if I may say?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Lutheran - catholic

Catholic - lutheran

What's your point?

Homework!
Please breeze through my post, which you just answered above, and underline either of the words 'Catholic' or 'Lutheran', then I'll understand your questions better.

Hitler was in no way a believing Christian......... he was just a nationalistic racist psychotic monster. Or do you think that true Christians can be like that? :eek:

Here it is:-

ChristineM

Premium Member
I think you need to take more notice of sentences, the differences between questions and 'bold' claims.

Very good..... exactly...... 9/10.
All of his motivation was for POWER, nothing there in the manner of Christian faith. You're getting there.

Well it sure wasn't Christianity.
You're actually answering your own (previous) ideas here, and putting them right.

NO THING about Hitler's motivations was connected to Christianity'. But of course, during his rise to power he would have referred to Christianity because he expected a % of his audience to respond well to such references. 80 years later you want these speeches to prove something? A 'Bold' claim, if I may say?

"Ergo, he was resigned to his fate......." Is not a question

I do not believe you are saying powerful people cannot be christian.

Have you ever read the bible?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
"Ergo, he was resigned to his fate......." Is not a question
A paragraph starting with the word 'Surely......... ' and the waty in which it was written is much more of a question than a 'Bold Statement'.

I do not believe you are saying powerful people cannot be christian.
We are talking about Hitler, whose whole aim was about raising up a Third Reich......... where was the room for a resurrected Christ in all of that?

Have you ever read the bible?
Yep.

ChristineM

Premium Member
A paragraph starting with the word 'Surely......... ' and the waty in which it was written is much more of a question than a 'Bold Statement'.

We are talking about Hitler, whose whole aim was about raising up a Third Reich......... where was the room for a resurrected Christ in all of that?

Yep.

Where did you go to school? The paragraph started with "Ergo, he was resigned to his fate....... "

Sheesh, have you ever done something you consider important? And did you have room for your christianity at the same time?.

You have? That surprises me, could it be that like many christians you select only the parts you like. The bible is quite prolific about killing for a holy cause and hitler believed he was carrying out his christian gods work.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Where did you go to school? The paragraph started with "Ergo, he was resigned to his fate....... "
:facepalm:

Sheesh, have you ever done something you consider important? And did you have room for your christianity at the same time?.
Never had time for Christianity myself.......

You have? That surprises me, could it be that like many christians you select only the parts you like.
Take a closer look at my religion, shown above every post of mine.

The bible is quite prolific about killing for a holy cause and hitler believed he was carrying out his christian gods work.
Nah! Never! He was building a new German Reich to last one thousand years. The key word there was 'Aryan'.

Never once did Hitler call out for justice over what Christians reckon the Jews did to Jesus, his excuses could have included that rubbish, but they didn't.

Give it up....... Hitler was no Christian with Christian Faith, Hitler was a Nazi with Aryan faith in his Fatherland, not Father-God.

ChristineM

Premium Member
:facepalm:

Never had time for Christianity myself.......

Take a closer look at my religion, shown above every post of mine.

Nah! Never! He was building a new German Reich to last one thousand years. The key word there was 'Aryan'.

Never once did Hitler call out for justice over what Christians reckon the Jews did to Jesus, his excuses could have included that rubbish, but they didn't.

Give it up....... Hitler was no Christian with Christian Faith, Hitler was a Nazi with Aryan faith in his Fatherland, not Father-God.

Please check the paragraphs of your own post before embarrassing yourself again
Surely......¶
Ministers and Generals who were present all pleaded with Hitler to escape Berlin before it was too late, but Hitler replied that if he left Berlin then all was over anyway, and that he preferred to stay and, if necessary, face his Downfall.¶
Ergo, he was resigned to his fate....... now I reckon that a Christian would at least be in contemplation connected with Faith........¶
What's the M.O. of being a Christian?¶

Never had time to check your religion myself

So you have no idea if a person can hold down a full time job or run a country or fight a war and be a christian. Fair enough, i think we are done here.

ajay0

Hitler identified with racial and nationalistic ideologies, and had an affinity for warlike religions.

He was born a christian, but seemed not to give much attention to it, and in fact even used it for propaganda purposes and anti-semitism when it suited him.

His religion was his army, race and country due to shortsightedness stemming from ignorance, and everything else was used as a tool to promote his ideological objectives.