• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was good ole Baruch right?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand them.

-- Baruch Spinoza

Is tolerance necessary to understanding? Must we first tolerate something before we can truly understand it? Was good ole Baruch right?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Michelle said:
An amazing quote! and now I have to go find out who he was
Baruch Spinoza was one of the founders of modern ethics. He was Dutch and lived in the 1600's. He earned his bread as a lense grinder, and his contemporaries said of him that he was "the gentlest of men".

Although he was an increditable ethicist, I once consulted him for his thoughts about love and was very disappointed. He seems not to have been inspired by it. At least, if he was inspired by love it was love for humanity, rather than love for any particular person that inspired him.

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:
Baruch Spinoza was one of the founders of modern ethics. He was Dutch and lived in the 1600's. His earned his bread as a lense grinder, and his contemporaries said of him that he was "the gentlest of men".

Although he was an increditable ethicist, I once consulted him for his thoughts about love and was very disappointed. He seems not to have been inspired by it. At least, if he was inspired by love it was love for humanity, rather than love for any particular person that inspired him.
I think true change only comes about with acceptance.