• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Christ Woke?

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Was Christ self-realized and simply used what his culture offered to express himself?

pexels-athena-1804177.jpg
Photo by Athena from Pexels

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The title of the thread and the OP says something different to me. From the title "woke" meaning alert to injustice, I'd say yes assuming the Bible is accurate for the sake of argument and looking at who he hung out with.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Was Christ self-realized and simply used what his culture offered to express himself?

View attachment 50587
Photo by Athena from Pexels
Self-realization, and "woke" mean very different things. Yes, Jesus was Enlightened. No, he was not a postmodernist in the sense we understand that, He was beyond that. Although, universal compassion is common to both, as it first really comes online with postmodernism for the most part, which is what people call "woke". Hating strangers and loving only those of your group, and trying to control the lives of others is not, and that is what the premodern conservative, group-only love is. So they are neither "woke", nor Enlightened. They are still at the stage of loving only those who are like themselves. Jesus was definitely beyond that stage.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Self-realization, and "woke" mean very different things. Yes, Jesus was Enlightened. No, he was not a postmodernist in the sense we understand that, He was beyond that. Although, universal compassion is common to both, as it first really comes online with postmodernism for the most part, which is what people call "woke". Hating strangers and loving only those of your group, and trying to control the lives of others is not, and that is what the premodern conservative, group-only love is. So they are neither "woke", nor Enlightened. They are still at the stage of loving only those who are like themselves. Jesus was definitely beyond that stage.
I'm wondering what a woke Jesus would look like?

Blue hair, green glasses, and tattoos plastered all over the neither regions?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus didn't always remain within the boundaries of his culture.

He hardly did! ;) Even as far as being observant of religious custom. Remember his comment that the Sabbath was made for man, not the other way around.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The religion of his community was the only tools he had to define his experience. Had he been born in India...?

Probably most people who have these discussions are aware of the “Jesus went to India” hypothesis. I’m more onboard with the “India went to Jesus” idea. First century Palestine/Israel/Judea/Levant was a crossroads and hotbed of travelers, trade, political, religious and philosophical ideas.

There was trade from the very western edge of the Roman Empire in Iberia through the Middle and Near East, South Asia, Central Asian steppes, all the way to China. The Silk Road was not a road, but a network of highways, probably like the US Interstate Highways system.

My wild *** guess is that Jesus was influenced by merchants, teachers, philosophers and others who made those journeys. At an early age he was versed in his scriptures... if the gospels are to be believed he was arguing with the “doctors of the Law” at 12 years old. Precocious kid. :D I personally don’t think it’s a great leap to think he was like a sponge for ideas that came westward from South Asia and East Asia.

I’m not going to get into the “Is-Jesus-a-ripoff-of-Krishna?” debacle, but there are ideas and comments of Jesus that I think are decidedly Bhagavad Gita-ish, but tailored and tweaked for his audience. There is a book by Swami Prabhavananda called The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta. Swami-ji makes a case for Jesus’s teachings having a lot in common with Hindu philosophy.

pearl

He hardly did! ;) Even as far as being observant of religious custom. Remember his comment that the Sabbath was made for man, not the other way around.

But He did observe the Sabbath without the extreme regulations tied to the observance.
I was thinking the personal contact he gave to the Samaritan woman etc.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
But He did observe the Sabbath without the extreme regulations tied to the observance.
I was thinking the personal contact he gave to the Samaritan woman etc.

Right... I’m not suggesting he stomped all over the customs, but he wasn’t rigid. I see him understanding there are extenuating circumstances.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm wondering what a woke Jesus would look like?

Blue hair, green glasses, and tattoos plastered all over the neither regions?
You think those who, "awake to sensitive social issues, such as racism," have blue hair and tattoos on their privates?

I'm actually aware of those issue myself, but I wouldn't call myself "woke". I'd just call myself aware of facts and reality. And I don't have blue hair or any tattoos anywhere on my body. Not that that matters. Are you uncomfortable by people who are different than you? Does that somehow lessen the facts of systemic racism in society?