1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Was Christ Both Male And Female?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Eddi, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,946
    I honstly dont see how jesus can be a woman nor intersex. Prophets are usually men, religious figures in jewish traditions are men, the Church follows as a man tradition. Why would one assume he is a woman of any sort?

2. Eddi

Eddi Mark 5:9

Ratings:
    +288
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think it would make sense, given how (as you said) prophets and religious figures are all (as far as we know) men. I think God is committed to gender equality and is himself gender neutral

I think it's possible God wanted to send a woman prophet to be Jesus but knew she'd be treated as a witch and persecuted, and her message ignored by the patriarchal society, so he sent the next best thing

3. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,670
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    This is basically the Ancient Aliens form of "logic". "They didn't say it wasn't aliens, so is it possible it was?". You can "speculate" any number of fantastic scenarios on that basis but that's just your imagination running wild and there's no reason to take it seriously.

4. Duke_Leto

Duke_Leto Active Member

Ratings:
    +365
    Religion:
    Zensunni

If not for the source, I would think this were a joke article.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,946
    I dont see the details of jesus being only but so far back that we can entertain that jesus could be anything other than what he was. I mean little over two thousand years ago isnt that long. Why would we think jesus is anything but male but skip to nowadays, we dont give it a second thought that humans dont literally fall from the sky of the divine.

Then I also wonder about time period. The most modern prophet I know so far to be a godly is Bahai. But no one asks if he is male or female. So, I guess philosophizing, but

How does god send people only three thousand years ago but nowadays, we only have faith but no actual god interaction?

While jesus probably lived, I doubt he experienced any of the supernatural things christians have blased on him in the last thousands of years. I wonder if jews believe moses actually parted the red see and animals talked.

Being from a patriarch society, why would we think of him as anything but man?

6. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,863
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    It's also possible he was a chimpanzee. It's just not particularly probable.

7. Eddi

Eddi Mark 5:9

Ratings:
    +288
    Religion:
    Christian
    Someone stated earlier on this thread that 1.7% of the world's population are in some way intersex

If we accept this then there's definitely a chance Christ may have been - and no matter how small this chance, it is still much, much greater than the chances of him being a chimpanzee. The two probabilities don't compare.

• Like Like x 1
  8. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,863
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    If you want to insist so. Don't expect a lot of people to get on board with this nonsense.

9. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,043
    In an enlightened one or Buddha, the male and female components in him are considered to be in perfect harmony.

The concept of Ardhanareshwara in Hinduism corresponds to it...

Ardhanarishvara - Wikipedia

In Taoism, it would be the ying and yang in balanced harmony.

So, if Jesus was enlightened, he would be 'both male and female'.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +8,678
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    Well considering he is believed by a lot of Christians to have had long hair, I would say hermaphrodite would be an awesome depiction. Jesus does have a lot of feminine and masculine aspects to his character.

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +8,678
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    Well a person could certainly make a case for Jesus being a woman.

Jesus Is Female | Aaron Spencer Fogleman

• Like Like x 1
  12. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,274
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    If they believed it it's only because that's how painters, who are a fem bunch of artsy people, liked to paint him.

Lacking all signs of specific gender, no doubt he vacillated between the two.

#52 Skwim, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  13. EverChanging

EverChanging Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Religion:
    Star & Marian Rites
    I have wondered the same. Assuming he was born of a virgin and that Mary was not intersexed, she wouldn't have a Y chromosome to pass on.

14. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,670
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    That is not what Jesus would've looked like. Jewish men aren't allowed to have long hair, except for the sidelocks. I don't see anything feminine about Jesus, either.

Jesus most likely looked similar to this, according to forensic reconstruction:
    [​IMG]

15. lukethethird

lukethethird Active Member

Ratings:
    +404
    Religion:
    Xian
    Was Christ Both Male And Female?

I never considered that question before but being open minded, sure, why not?

16. masonlandry

masonlandry Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    Buddhist, Cultural Christian, Atheist
    There is no evidence for Jesus being intersex. Being more feminine than an average man doesn't require an intersex condition, but aside from that, we don't really have much idea of what was stereotypically masculine and feminine in his time, aside from what we can gather. It very well not have been viewed the same way we view masculinity and femininity.

17. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,653
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    From a mythological standpoint, it makes perfect sense, as many cultures thought the First Couple was both male and female, perhaps just one being that was split into two, like Adam. In many cultures, non cis hetero types would be considered sacred for representing the original type of human.

Well, "in Christ there is neither male nor female." :)

That's hard to swallow. If there is no self, no differentiation, then any gender combo makes no difference at all.

This is the same bible that tries to rewrite some Christian leaders' names as masculine (Junia/Junias IIRC) because as the Church became more and more anti-woman, evidence of women church leaders wasn't allowed.

Who ran his genetic study?

I think there's a reason he doesn't have sex in the bible and Matt 19:12 has him sympathizing with "eunuchs".

Deborah was certainly not a man. Jesus had many female apostles that were downplayed due to the misogyny of the male ones.

Yeah, Jesus wasn't Bishonen. :)